Thread: 3606 mods?

RC poster

3606 mods?

After trying my neighbors new vxl rustler I decided to dig my early 2000ís 3606 out of storage. Man they have come a long way.... lol

Looking to hop it up a bit so itís able to keep up with the more modern stuff.

What are some good mods to build this old girl up and make it more reliable?

Thinking about going vxl-3 lipo setup with a more modern 2.4ghz transmitter/receiver.

Vxl transmission

Traxxas aluminum arms and bearing carriers and maybe a different wheel and tire setup to help it handle better.

Whatís everybodyís thoughts?

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by espey34 View Post
    After trying my neighbors new vxl rustler I decided to dig my early 2000ís 3606 out of storage. Man they have come a long way.... lol

Thinking about going vxl-3 lipo setup with a more modern 2.4ghz transmitter/receiver.

Vxl transmission

Traxxas aluminum arms and bearing carriers and maybe a different wheel and tire setup to help it handle better.

Aluminum arms add a fair bit of moving suspension weight. I prefer RPM arms.
    Youíll need to increase your damping with aluminum arms.
    Definitely need to thicken the oil or go to a 1 hole shock damper.

Aluminum bearing carriers up front tend to bend king pins.
    Better off with plastic carriers and aluminum castor blocks.
    This leaves an easily repaired weak spot for the steering and saves kingpins too.
    I run aluminum bearing carriers on the rear.

Youíll likely need to upgrade to a steel idler gear too.

Quote Originally Posted by espey34 View Post

Vxl transmission

I have a bunch of aluminum on mine and personally i wished id have went with rpm parts. The aluminum parts are nice and look nice until you rub them for the first time. Or until you bend them. Aluminum doesnt like to bend back to its original form. It will snap. Id stick with a sturdier plastic. Like rpm. They also look just fine in my opinion.

Aluminium is also a little heavier too so once you start adding weight, youll be wishing you didnt buy the vxl system. It gets hot with extra weight.

Thats another thing. If your planning on spending about 200 on the vxl system, id go better with a mamba or castle system. You wont pay any more and your getting a much better system. The vxl system most everybody has issues with heat if you go much higher than stock gearing or start adding any weight.

The vxl system has a 3500kv motor. If you want to add any sort of weight or bigger tires, or maybe a roll cage, or light bars, or anything really, your gonna want something near the 2450kv to 2900kv range. You can gear up safely and go just as fast as anything else. Without having the issues youll get from the vxl system.

Sent from my LGL722DL using Tapatalk

Traxxas Marshal
    Welcome to the forums!

You don't need a whole new transmission, but using the metal gears Traxxas sells is a great idea if you want to go brushless. Depending on how old your truck is, you may want to upgrade to 5x11 bearings (and the required bearing carriers if your truck needs them). A slipper clutch could be a nice addition, too, should your truck not have one.

Electronics wise, these trucks have definitely come a long way. The bones of the truck, however, are still pretty much the same.

Got any pictures of what you're working with?
    "Happiness depends upon ourselves." -Aristotle

Accepting requests for bashing at GREENWOOD BASHPLEX in Pittsburgh PA!! Check the thread in the track buddy forum and reply there or pm
    Alum ft bearing carriers do not bend steering kingpins. The stock ft c blocks flexing is what bends the kingpins. The kingpins bend easily without any aluminum parts.

Alum c blocks support the kingpins and keep them straight.

I use alum c blocks, alum rear carriers, RPM ft carriers, and never have an issue (about a decade now).

Although buying the vxl gears and slipper separately may be a little cheaper, It may be less hassle to buy a new chop shop vxl transmission off of eBay. Just make sure to get one that includes the slipper assembly.

Get a screw set, and decent hex drivers. So much easier to work on compared to the Phillips head hardware.

Vxl suspension and steering links are thicker and much more durable than what's on the truck now. You can find those at the chop shops too.

The 2018 steering servo is very weak. Any 25kg servo on eBay will be a huge improvement for about 25$

So my update list would be:

Alum c blocks
    Alum rear bearing carriers
    RPM front carriers
    Screw set
    Vxl linkages
    Servo.

This should update your truck to vxl specs and upgrade the weak cblocks. I may have missed something.

Edit:
    Check all bearings, make sure they spin silent and smooth. No grittiness. If you need bearings, check out AvidRC. They have full kits, or you can buy singles to replace bad ones, and they are about a buck a piece.

Sent from my moto e5 cruise using Tapatalk
    Ya can't polish fertilizer...