Thread: Running on sand

RC poster

Running on sand

Hi, guys I was just wondering if it is ok to run the slash on the beach? Obviously this will require extra maintenance and cleaning and of course staying away from saltwater. Thanks

You'll also want to (temporarily) replace the stock tires with paddle tires. If you can get pre-mounted tires, great...and, of not, get a decent set of wheels you can glue the paddles onto.

~ More peace, love, laughter, & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place
    ~ Love, laughter & kindness makes the world better

RC Qualifier
    Tape the ventilation holes, so sand and water doesn’t get in. Also, clean it well afterwards

RC poster
    Thanks guys for the tips appreciate it. Another question do you guys know if putting fishing string around my tyres will help reduce the amount of ballooning? Thanks

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Pep View Post
    Thanks guys for the tips appreciate it. Another question do you guys know if putting fishing string around my tyres will help reduce the amount of ballooning? Thanks
    Fishing string is stretchy - so probably not. As far as I know (and I am not the most experienced here), the only way to prevent ballooning is to either buy belted tires or tape them (on the inside) before you mount and glue on rims.

Beadlock wheels are recommended for this too. That way, you can remove the tire from the wheel to clean the foam and the inside of the tire. Proline makes some pretty good ones, and RC4WD also makes some (but are much more expensive and are metal).
    Everyday's a gift, thus now is called the present.

Quote Originally Posted by RCWilly View Post
    Beadlock wheels are recommended for this too. That way, you can remove the tire from the wheel to clean the foam and the inside of the tire. Proline makes some pretty good ones, and RC4WD also makes some (but are much more expensive and are metal).
    True...but, at the same time, if the tires are glued into the (plastic) wheels, and there are no venting holes (either by taping/gluing them over, it by never creating them in the first place), then there's no need for cleaning the wheel's/tire's inside, right?

Obviously, this isn't something I'd normally recommend. All of my racers, bashers, and crawlers, have been tires (or wheels)...but, I don't run any of them on the beach, it in sand dunes. However, if I were to run any in such an environment, I'd use paddle tires (belted, or the tape "belting" method), I'd glue them to plastic wheels, and I wouldn't have any venting holes. I'd also do an EXTREMELY good job with the CA, to completely seal the tire/wheel, making certain no water could get inside.

~ More peace, love, laughter, & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place

If you are planning on completely sealing the tire, seal it at the same elevation that you would drive it at. Otherwise, the tire would be either puffed up or deflated if you change your elevation. This happened to me on my TRX-4, and the tires were so big, that it was hitting the body (I was in the mountains, so the atmospheric air pressure was pretty low).

Actually really depends on how you want to do it. Beadlocks seal pretty well and require less skills, but are more expensive. Gluing wheels require more practice to get the sealing completely right, but is a much cheaper option ($20-$30 cheaper).

Quote Originally Posted by RCWilly View Post
    If you are planning on completely sealing the tire, seal it at the same elevation that you would drive it at. Otherwise, the tire would be either puffed up or deflated if you change your elevation. This happened to me on my TRX-4, and the tires were so big, that it was hitting the body (I was in the mountains, so the atmospheric air pressure was pretty low).

Actually really depends on how you want to do it. Beadlocks seal pretty well and require less skills, but are more expensive. Gluing wheels require more practice to get the sealing completely right, but is a much cheaper option ($20-$30 cheaper).
    The "problem" I see in using beadlocks is their weight. On crawlers, they're almost a necessity, as they help to keep the COG as low as possible.. but, on a "fast" vehicle, they'll add excessive weight, slowing the vehicle down. While I've never run RC on sand, I'd say it's safe to assume that 'speed' is your "friend", and you wouldn't want anything on the vehicle that would cause it to go slower.

Dune buggies & quads perform great on sand because they're going fast. When they go slow, they tend to have "problems". Have you ever seen what happens when a dune buggy, or quad, stops on the sand, and then hits full-throttle? The wheels just spin, shooting sand into a "rooster tail" behind the vehicle. As I said, in sand, 'speed' is your "friend", and the last thing you'd probably want to do is add unnecessary weight (ie. heavy beadlock wheels).

Proline makes some beadlocks specifically designed for SCTs. It is all light-weight plastic (except the screws).

https://www.prolineracing.com/wheels...-red-black.asp

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Pep View Post
    Iíve used fishing line on my Revo Tireís and it absolutely stopped the ballooning. Maybe not as much as using a proper belted tire but Iíd say 85% of the benefits.

I think I used 20lb string, but you could go higher, or lower by using more winds. Crazy glue the string down all along the run.

Have fun!

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by gusd2 View Post
    Iíve used fishing line on my Revo Tireís and it absolutely stopped the ballooning. Maybe not as much as using a proper belted tire but Iíd say 85% of the benefits.

I think I used 20lb string, but you could go higher, or lower by using more winds. Crazy glue the string down all along the run.

Have fun!
    Thanks, guys for the tips. Might giving putting on fishing line a shot and if the doesn't work ill probably look at paddle tires. Thanks

Running a Slash 4x4 on the beach is a whole lot of fun! It does require some maintenance after you are finished. There are good times to be had, running in the beach

Member of the 10,000 + posts club! Here to help!