RC poster

How to use loctite 243

Hi guys , after my pinion gear loosen i have bought loctite 243 blue but i dont know how to apply it to the pinion gear. Should i apply it before tightining the tiny screw or should i apply it after everything is set up?

RC poster
    you put a little drop of it on the end of the grub screw before you tighten it down

RC poster
    Thank you so much

RC Competitor
    One tiny drop is sufficient for most-any job....and as stated, put it on the end of the screw farthest from the screwdriver tip, as u screw it in, the threads will pull the loctite across the whole screw.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

A few additional pieces of advice:

1) Loctite should ONLY be used when screwing metal into metal. NEVER use Loctite when screwing metal into plastic.
    2) If it's something you are 100% positive you will NEVER need to separate, it's ok to use red (262, 271, 272) Loctite. Other than that, NEVER use red Loctite on RC vehicles (on my motorcycle, it's my "go-to".
    3) For things that you might have need to separate on occasion, always use blue (242 or 243) Loctite.
    4) Here's where things get "interesting". For things that you might need to separate, but want a stronger "hold", instead of using blue Loctite, try using orange (266) Loctite. It is 3x stronger than blue Loctite, and does NOT need heat to be removed. This is what I now use for "semi-permanent" (such as pinion gears, couplers for my boats, screws holding drive & steering components to carriers, etc) screws.

~ More peace, love, laughter, & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place
    ~ Love, laughter & kindness makes the world better

Don't forget to let the Loctite fully cure before running your rig.
    Let it set overnight if possible.

Good luck!
    Creativity is intelligence having fun. -Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Panther6834 View Post
    A few additional pieces of advice:

1) Loctite should ONLY be used when screwing metal into metal. NEVER use Loctite when screwing metal into plastic.
    2) If it's something you are 100% positive you will NEVER need to separate, it's ok to use red (262, 271, 272) Loctite. Other than that, NEVER use red Loctite on RC vehicles (on my motorcycle, it's my "go-to".
    3) For things that you might have need to separate on occasion, always use blue (242 or 243) Loctite.
    4) Here's where things get "interesting". For things that you might need to separate, but want a stronger "hold", instead of using blue Loctite, try using orange (266) Loctite. It is 3x stronger than blue Loctite, and does NOT need heat to be removed. This is what I now use for "semi-permanent" (such as pinion gears, couplers for my boats, screws holding drive & steering components to carriers, etc) screws.

~ More peace, love, laughter, & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place
    With 2mm grubs in pinions, orange can sometimes even be too much. Especially if it's a grub that you've removed a time or two already. With 1.5mm sized, stick with blue or plan on using heat as it will likely strip with orange. Even when using MIP wrenches (that's all I use).

I do the same though. I use orange on my pinions and MIP x-duty set screws that hold it onto the output shaft on my stampede. Those things like to come loose for some reason. Orange seems to remedy that. The only place I've used red was on some arrma alloy diff cases that use short screws due to steel cap on one end and spur gear on the other. Orange wouldn't even keep them in.
    https://www.youtube.com/c/olds97lss

I used the blue threadlock the MIP X-Dutys came with. I think I used too much and the grubscrew got stuck in the diff outdrive. I didnít think to use heat and just used elbow grease. Bad move. Broke my MIP 1.5mm driver in the hole and had to Dremmel the outdrive and broken tool down to punch the pin out!

Easy fix, but what a pain and waste of a good tool.
    Creativity is intelligence having fun. -Einstein

RC Competitor
    I prefer using locktight gel, comes in a container the looks like chapstick. I find it easier to apply to smaller hardware and i find less waist compaired to the liquid
    Rustler 4x4 powered by MambaX