RC poster

New nitro rustler, couple of questions.

I just received my new nitro rustler today and finished the break in, and was doing the after run/cleanup and I noticed when I turn the flywheel by hand it grabs super tight at the top of the stroke, even with the glow plug out, its not tight enough that I can't spin it by hand but it does have a hold on it, alot tighter at tdc than my 2.5 t-maxx does. Is that normal and should wear in later on? I'll probably give it a few more tanks before I start ripping on it hard just because the tank is so small.

I want to put a resonator pipe on it, but can't decide between the 1 or 2 chamber, I know the 1 chamber is for low/mid and the 2 chamber is for mid/high, I don't race, just light bash/run through the yard and field with it. If I did a 2 chamber and geared it a tad lower would that about even it out? I just don't want to do the 2 chamber and lose my low end or 1 chamber and lose the top end.

And finally how tight should the slipper be? I hadn't messed with it and I could hear it squealing during break in. I always run it locked down on my vxl rustler, granted I have to change out the output yokes about twice a year, but I'm hard on that one.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by jjshultz78 View Post
    I just received my new nitro rustler today and finished the break in, and was doing the after run/cleanup and I noticed when I turn the flywheel by hand it grabs super tight at the top of the stroke, even with the glow plug out, its not tight enough that I can't spin it by hand but it does have a hold on it, alot tighter at tdc than my 2.5 t-maxx does. Is that normal and should wear in later on? I'll probably give it a few more tanks before I start ripping on it hard just because the tank is so small.

I want to put a resonator pipe on it, but can't decide between the 1 or 2 chamber, I know the 1 chamber is for low/mid and the 2 chamber is for mid/high, I don't race, just light bash/run through the yard and field with it. If I did a 2 chamber and geared it a tad lower would that about even it out? I just don't want to do the 2 chamber and lose my low end or 1 chamber and lose the top end.

And finally how tight should the slipper be? I hadn't messed with it and I could hear it squealing during break in. I always run it locked down on my vxl rustler, granted I have to change out the output yokes about twice a year, but I'm hard on that one.
    I cannot talk about the pipe as I haven't ever explored that on my rustler 2.5, but I can give some info on the other questions.

For a new trx engine, its going to be super tight when the piston is in the upward position, which is why it is easy to have a locked engine before it is fully broken in. Just make sure you ensure the piston is in the bottom position before you try to start it and after a while, it will loosen up a bit. All normal here.

For the slipper, you should be able to gun it without hearing squealing - so if it is squealing upon acceleration - tighten it up a bit. The purpose of it is to give instead of breaking something, so it can be tight, just don't tighten it ALL the way down, or it is the same as not have a slipper at all.