RC poster

Power cuts out when steering.

I upgraded both steering servos in my Summit to Traxxas High-Torque 330 Blue Servos. Now when I turn the steering from full left or right to centre, the power occasionally cuts out for a second. If the truck is moving, throttle will cut for that second too. The light on my receiver box will switch from green, to red during the outage, and back to green. If I unplug either one of the servos from the receiver, the problem goes away. Any idea why this is be happening? Suggestions for fixing this problem?

Thanks,
    RC

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by AceBalboa View Post
    I upgraded both steering servos in my Summit to Traxxas High-Torque 330 Blue Servos. Now when I turn the steering from full left or right to centre, the power occasionally cuts out for a second. If the truck is moving, throttle will cut for that second too. The light on my receiver box will switch from green, to red during the outage, and back to green. If I unplug either one of the servos from the receiver, the problem goes away. Any idea why this is be happening? Suggestions for fixing this problem?

Thanks,
    RC
    IMO it sounds like your ESC is "Browning out" due to the amp draw from the upgraded servos, you will want to consider getting a BEC to power your servos and the problem should be eliminated.

Sure does. I had that with my ERBEv2 when I was running an old savage flux esc which was a rebadged mamba monster v1. Was fine until I added a stronger servo and couple high velocity fans.

https://traxxas.com/products/parts/servos/2250

Would be helpful if they listed the amp draw at lock. Some of the companies do that and it's very useful info. They should all do that.

Looks like at stall it spikes at 3.1A @6V and drops to 2.8A. Not sure why he posts @6:02 that it pulled 1.7A, looked like it was holding pretty steady just above 2.8A.

@4:30
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OsGD19HpKsw

What ESC do you have? If it's the MXL-6S (mmv2), it's likely 5A continuous and 8A peak. With 2 of those servos under load, your over 5A, or at least pretty close to it. Depending on your fans, they typically use .1-.25A I think.
    https://www.youtube.com/c/olds97lss

RC poster
    Truck is pretty much stock, this is the first real upgrade. It has the original EVX-2 with the stock heat sink.

I'm trying to keep things simple. Doesn't look like there's a plug and play BEC for the Summit, like there appears to be on the TRX-4. Wish I just went with the 2072X (metal gear) upgrade in the stock steering servos or the 2075X servos now. I guess I could just run one 2250 servo (as they suggest for the Revo here: https://traxxas.com/products/parts/s...250?t=overview).

Thanks,
    RC

The stock EVX-2 BEC is only rated at 2.5 amps. If you want to stay with stock setup and not change anything your going to have to run one of those servos. Just one of those servos is still more power than two of the stock servos.

Stock servos 2075 or 2075x = 125oz@6v (2 stock servos = 250oz)
    traxxas 2250 = 300 oz@6v
    traxxas 2255 = 400 oz@6v

Quote Originally Posted by olds97_lss View Post
    Would be helpful if they listed the amp draw at lock. Some of the companies do that and it's very useful info. They should all do that.

Looks like at stall it spikes at 3.1A @6V and drops to 2.8A. Not sure why he posts @6:02 that it pulled 1.7A, looked like it was holding pretty steady just above 2.8A.

@4:30
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OsGD19HpKsw
    Also it's strange that he got 1.7amp @6v for the 2075x. It's suppose to be the same as the 2075 plastic gear servo. And the EVX-2 (Traxxas Summit) comes stock with two 2075 servos and the ESC has no problems powering both without brownouts.

RC Racer
    Thats 1.7amps at a stall, meaning you're tires would need to be wedged in a hole or pinned between rocks, while you turn past what the tire will move for a couple seconds, then it'll brown out. But moving the tires while free wont max out the draw of the servo.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Steve g View Post
    Thats 1.7amps at a stall, meaning you're tires would need to be wedged in a hole or pinned between rocks, while you turn past what the tire will move for a couple seconds, then it'll brown out. But moving the tires while free wont max out the draw of the servo.
    That's my point. My EVX-2 in my summit never did. Many times I had my mudslingers where they couldn't turn and had no issues from the stock ESC which is rated at only 2.5 amps.

RC Racer
    Honestly i had a savox servo in my kids crawler while still on the stock esc, which was rated less then half of what the servo pulls, and I tried repeatedly to get it to brown out, and it wouldn't. I think some escs just don't quit, and won't drop voltage enough to cause issues. Now that same servo on a mamba x sure does have alot more power.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

RC poster
    I'll probably go with a single 2250 in the Summit. Maybe put the other one in my Slash, although it doesn't really need it. TRX-4 Blazer is on my wish list. I can move the second 2250 into my TRX-4 if/when I get around to buying one.

Thanks,
    RC

Sounds like a plan. If you ever want to go with an external BEC setup look at the Holmes Hobbies RX BYPASS ADAPTERS. They really simplify an installation.