RC Enthusiast

Talking Transmission Broke

Hey Team,

My crazy mind wasnít thinking when driving my 2wd Stampede in long grass. I had the slipper pretty wrenched down from road use.

Pinion and spur spin. Perfect mesh.

Differential working.

Stock axles look good. Wheels still snugly connected at all four corners.

What needs to be fixed?

Thank you,

I think you need to get a little bit more specific than the transmission broke. What is the specific issue? Is the transmission not transferring power to the wheels? Also, take a look inside the transmission if possible.
    Everyday's a gift, thus now is called the present.

RC Enthusiast
    Iím sorry for not specifying. The wheels do not m ove forward or backwards even though pinion and spur spin with throttle/reverse. I checked the slipper down to the peg in the very back which is all just fine

Then there could be a stripped gear inside the transmission. Does it make a scratchy noise?

RC Enthusiast
    No scratchy noises. Just the normal “whining” of a titan stock motor with HD metal spur/pinion spinning at stock gearing.

So no other noise other than the motor and spur and pinion. It's either the idler gear is completely stripped (which is pretty unlikely for metal gears), or a pin that secures the idler gear is loose in the transmission. Open the transmission, and take a look at the idler gear (the gear in the middle of three gears).

RC Enthusiast
    StampedeMachine, it sounds like the roll pin that holds the gear in place on the input shaft is broken. The shaft is just free spinning inside the gear, inside the tranny. I had a similar problem with mine a while back. NAPA might have a roll pin small enough to repair it or, you can do like I did and take a body clip and cut it to fit. The clip won't break but its smaller than the hole in the shaft so you have to secure it with super glue or JB weld. Be sure to flush the adhesive because the gear fits flat against the other side of the tranny. Hope this helps.

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Maddgopher View Post
    StampedeMachine, it sounds like the roll pin that holds the gear in place on the input shaft is broken. The shaft is just free spinning inside the gear, inside the tranny. I had a similar problem with mine a while back. NAPA might have a roll pin small enough to repair it or, you can do like I did and take a body clip and cut it to fit. The clip won't break but its smaller than the hole in the shaft so you have to secure it with super glue or JB weld. Be sure to flush the adhesive because the gear fits flat against the other side of the tranny. Hope this helps.
    The pin is in place and is not broken. I was hoping to prevent having to go into the tranny.

Thanks guys

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by RCWilly View Post
    So no other noise other than the motor and spur and pinion. It's either the idler gear is completely stripped (which is pretty unlikely for metal gears), or a pin that secures the idler gear is loose in the transmission. Open the transmission, and take a look at the idler gear (the gear in the middle of three gears).
    Thank you!

RC Enthusiast
    Okay. The solid steel pin on the shaft on the outside of the tranny behind the slipper is not what I'm referring to (Apologies if I wasn't clear on that). If you have not gotten inside your tranny, then there is no way to know if the roll pin is good or not. It cannot be accessed unless the tranny is taken apart.

Accepting requests for bashing at GREENWOOD BASHPLEX in Pittsburgh PA!! Check the thread in the track buddy forum and reply there or pm
    There are 2 pins on that top shaft. A solid pin keys to the slipper assembly on the outside of the trans. The second pin is a hollow roll pin that keys to the top gear on the inside of the transmission. I believe people use a 2mm drill bit, cut to fit in place of the roll pin that will fit the hole better than a body clip...

I know you said your tires are bolted down, but check that both pins that key to the rear wheel hexes are in place as a missing one will cause the same type of slipping at the wheel hex.

I know pulling the trans apart is a pain, but it's pretty easy. Just make sure to get the gearbox bolts in correct positions when you reassemble it as there are different length screws...

Sent from my moto e5 cruise using Tapatalk
    Ya can't polish fertilizer...

RC Enthusiast
    Good to know about the 2mm Drill bit, Rag6. I'm sure I'll have to go into mine again, eventually and repair it.

StampedeMachine, I believe this is the top shaft with roll pin included.

https://www.amazon.com/Traxxas-Slipp...RGZFVT9CMA7QYV

RC Enthusiast
    Thanks guys,

Took transmission out and I do hear a grinding now. Going to open it this evening. I will check the pins of the shafts on the inside and make sure the plastic diff/any other teeth have gone. I can sense an upgrade in the very near future.

Any suggestions, HD Racing, etc?

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by StampedeMachine View Post
    Thanks guys,

Took transmission out and I do hear a grinding now. Going to open it this evening. I will check the pins of the shafts on the inside and make sure the plastic diff/any other teeth have gone. I can sense an upgrade in the very near future.

Any suggestions, HD Racing, etc?
    Opened up transmission and did not see second pin inside the shaft for the spur. All gears move freely and spun driveshafts forward ?:-/

Accepting requests for bashing at GREENWOOD BASHPLEX in Pittsburgh PA!! Check the thread in the track buddy forum and reply there or pm
    The pin is missing. The top gear is pressed on. It's a tight fit, if there is no load on the drivetrain, it will appear to work normally.

You will need to push the gear back a bit to install the pin, then press the gear back into place so it keys to the pin.

The old broken pin is somewhere inside the gearbox. You must get all of the pieces out of there. If a chunk gets into the gear mesh while running, it will break gears.

Spray everything down with wd40 to clean all grease out and you should be able to find chunks of that pin. Clean the wd40 out, replace the pin and use some lithium grease, or wheel bearing grease on the gears and button it back up and your good to go

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by rag6 View Post
    The pin is missing. The top gear is pressed on. It's a tight fit, if there is no load on the drivetrain, it will appear to work normally.

You will need to push the gear back a bit to install the pin, then press the gear back into place so it keys to the pin.

The old broken pin is somewhere inside the gearbox. You must get all of the pieces out of there. If a chunk gets into the gear mesh while running, it will break gears.

Spray everything down with wd40 to clean all grease out and you should be able to find chunks of that pin. Clean the wd40 out, replace the pin and use some lithium grease, or wheel bearing grease on the gears and button it back up and your good to go

Thanks a ton!

I did not find a pin in my tray after deconstruction and don’t remember seeing one. I didn’t take off all the gears, but it for sure isn’t in the gearbox. Any idea of something to use as a replacement?

Best,

StampedeMachine

It has to be in there. It may be in pieces. If chunks of that pin get into the gears your gears will break. Take EVERYTHING out of the gearbox. Clean all grease out of the box, out from between the teeth of the gears. I use a paper towel and a toothpick to clean out the gear teeth. Wd40 will help too.

A 2mm Allen key or 2mm drill bit cut to fit works very well. Someone earlier used a body clip cut to fit....

RC Enthusiast
    So it looks part of the pin is still stuck in the hole and I can’t get it out haha.

Any ideas?

Putting it in a vice and punching it out. Or... Buy the top shaft and press your top gear on. 6$

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by rag6 View Post
    Putting it in a vice and punching it out. Or... Buy the top shaft and press your top gear on. 6$

I have one on the way. It’s almost like the hollow pin bent itself inside.

Great video, thanks. Makes me wonder why they would have left a main transmission pin as a weakest link.

I think it was just a cost saver. You have to consider that these transmissions were designed far before brushless motor power was available. The pin was adequate for brushed power.

Hes right. I used a hex key or allen wrench. Cut it to size. Drove it in there. It was very VERY tight. And i havent had any issues since. I also loosened my slipper just a bit more than factory cause the entire reason it happened was from a locked or near locked slipper.

Sent from my LGL722DL using Tapatalk

RC Enthusiast
    Thanks guys!

Got a new shaft from my LHS and used a cut Traxxas brand body clip for the pin.

My only question now is besides adding some moly grease how do I get the gear back on?

Find something solid with a hole in it smaller than the top gear but as big as the top shaft. This will be your press.

Line up pin, Insert shaft into the gear in the correct direction.

Place gear over the hole, GENTLY tap the shaft through the gear with a hammer until the gear is all the way and keyed to pin.

RC Enthusiast
    Nice! I thought I got it, but I broke the teeth on the top gear. Whoops haha

Back to LHS again tomorrow

RC Enthusiast
    My Stampede is all fixed up!

I used a cut Traxxas body pin with some blue thread lock to replace the inner hollow pin on the shaft.

I appreciate the Community’s help.

Thanks!