RC poster

Converting a brushed Stampede to brushless

Iíd like to upgrade my brushed 4x4 stampede to brushless. Iíll probably mostly just bash with 2S, however Iíd like it to be able to handle 3S as well, because why not! What all parts should I upgrade to help handle the additional speed & power ? So far Iíve upgraded to a Tekno center drive shaft & aluminum shock caps. Thanks

The differentials are geared for slower speeds also. It doesn't really matter. Compared to VXL differentials, you will have more low-end torque but less top speed. You could gear up a couple teeth on your pinion to compensate, if you want to. It might actually help to make 3s more viable.

In the short term, you should at least get a set of 12mm aluminum hexes. The stock plastic hexes suck. Eventually, you'll probably want to look at using metal CVDs.
    Last edited by GotNoRice; 08-05-2020 at 10:59 PM.

RC poster
    It seems like the general consensus is itís a good idea to upgrade to:

✅Steel center driveshafts
    ✅Aluminum shock caps
    ❌MIP front/rear axels
    ❌Aluminum slipper clutch adapter
    ❌Aluminum motor mount
    ❌VXL pinion & diff gear

Thoughts ?

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthLando View Post
    It seems like the general consensus is itís a good idea to upgrade to:

Steel center driveshafts
    Aluminum shock caps
    MIP front/rear axels
    Aluminum slipper clutch adapter
    Aluminum motor mount
    VXL pinion & diff gear

Thoughts ?
    Unless you love doing summersaults I have always run heavy duty center diffs.

I tried to do the 2S 3S shuffle too but realized I could do the same with 3S alone with the proper gearing. If I geared up 2S enough to be fun I had heat issues due to too much current.

3S geared down is much more efficient than 2S geared up.

And 3S geared down is a torque monster too.

Iíve run Both VXL and Brushed pinions and didnít notice much difference. I think Traxxas was just taking advantage of some excess power in the new motors to up the top speed.

Aluminum motor mount is good.

Mip axels are expensive but I own 2 sets in the special length to fit my Proline Arms.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RC poster
    What would be the best motor / ESC combo if I’m going to be mostly bashing with some pavement runs on 2s / 3s ? I was going to do the power up program & get the vxl 3500 motor & ESC, but I wouldn’t mind spending a little bit more if there’s better options

What would be the best motor / ESC combo if Iím going to be mostly bashing with some pavement runs on 2s / 3s ?
    Sounds like a good fit for this system:
    http://www.castlecreations.com/en/si...ed-010-0123-02

The Castle 3800kv 1410 motor is a great motor for 2s, with some occasional 3s fun. With the Sidewinder ESC It's pretty close to the Velineon system, but IMO just a bit better.

There are a lot of combos out there with bigger motors and larger ESCs but most larger motors are going to work better in the 3s-4s range.

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by GotNoRice View Post
    Sounds like a good fit for this system:
    http://www.castlecreations.com/en/si...ed-010-0123-02

The Castle 3800kv 1410 motor is a great motor for 2s, with some occasional 3s fun. With the Sidewinder ESC It's pretty close to the Velineon system, but IMO just a bit better.

There are a lot of combos out there with bigger motors and larger ESCs but most larger motors are going to work better in the 3s-4s range.
    Thanks! Will that motor handle 3S as well without running hot ? I have a feeling once I go 3s I wonít look back, haha

Thanks! Will that motor handle 3S as well without running hot ? I have a feeling once I go 3s I won’t look back, haha
    It will depend a lot on your gearing and your ambient temperatures. I've run that system in my Stampede 4x4 and it can handle 3s. It's still pretty close to the Velineon system overall though, and not to the level where you can run 3s without at least monitoring temperatures. If you want to run 3s without any worry about temperatures, then you really need to go with a high-end 1/10th scale system or a budget 1/8th scale system.

High-end 10th scale system:
    http://www.castlecreations.com/en/ma...bo-010-0160-00

Budget 8th scale system:
    http://www.castlecreations.com/en/si...or-010-0139-01

RC poster
    I guess I missed it but was not sure if you have the 2wd or 4wd. Anyhow: I have both (bigfoot no1 and stampede 4x4) bought as brushed and converted to brushless with the Traxxas Velineon kit. To be honest: these 2 machines rock
    With 2S and are berzerk on 3s. Only thing changed is the rear axles (only on bigfoot so far) and diff on the 4wd. And no issues so far but only ABSOLUTE FUN ������

RC Enthusiast
    If you want to run the Traxxas VXL set up, I suggest getting the ESC fan and at the very least a heat sink for the velineon motor. We have rough summers and I just have to monitor my motor temp on 3s. 2s, you're good. I bought the 4x4 VXL new and the rear axles and shocks were the first to go. If you don't want to spend a lot on the MIP axles, Traxxas makes a plastic Extreme duty axle that I have went to. Although not as good as the MIP, they a whole lot cheaper and definitely better than the stock ones. Part #6852A(rear) and 6851A(Front)
    I made the mistake of buying cheap steel axles and they are CRAP! Don't waste the $.

RC Enthusiast

Converting a brushed Stampede to brushless

I converted mine a while back with racerstar 3650 3100kv motor, sidewinder4 60a esc, and 13t pinion. Been running on a 5200mah 3s Lipo and get over 1 hour of run time, able to hit almost 60kmh, and havenít had a lick of trouble yet. No overheating, broken shafts or anything. Everything else is bone stock. I couldnít even come close to doing anything like this with the stock power plant

https://youtu.be/eky5lmlttkI

Last edited by amihal; 09-09-2020 at 09:58 PM.

RC Qualifier
    Traxxas makes some steel dog bone axles with rubber covers. I ran them on my old E-Maxx and they worked fine.

I run Mip xduty axles front and rear. I bought the Traxxas extreme duty plastic axles but they stripped the inside of the axle where the splines and Slots mesh. Steel is almost a necessity on 3S.

I am running 3S with a 14/54 gearing to keep the top end more in control. Itís a torque monster and difficult to handle at top speed. I have 6Ē tires on my Pede so itís not a speedster right now.