RC Racer

titan 12 t motor

Does anyone know the RPM and timing on the Titan 12 turn motor?

RC Qualifier
    Rpm based on some research is 25560 as far as timing Im still looking in to that

Not sure about the RPM or timing, but the Titan 12T goes pretty fast for a brushed motor. It can bring a Slash 2wd up to 24mph.
    Everyday's a gift, thus now is called the present.

In the industry brushed motors without markings addressing motor timing are set to zero timing. I can't think of a reason Traxxas would hide motor timing if it wasn't zero. Plus if they did try and set the timing outside of zero it would incur additional costs and quality control. With how much of a variation there is between one Titan motor and another Titan motor I can't believe there is that level of quality control involved.

Quote Originally Posted by zedorda View Post
    In the industry brushed motors without markings addressing motor timing are set to zero timing. I can't think of a reason Traxxas would hide motor timing if it wasn't zero. Plus if they did try and set the timing outside of zero it would incur additional costs and quality control. With how much of a variation there is between one Titan motor and another Titan motor I can't believe there is that level of quality control involved.
    I am skeptical of that assumption. If that was the case why would they have a Titan 21t reverse? They could have just used the original Titan 21t and saved costs. Because they didn't share the info doesn't make it the same as everyone else.

I can't understand the relation between producing a reverse motor and producing offset timing on fixed timing motors of the disposable variety. A reverse motor at best is just a flipping of the brushes but to produce an intentionally offset timing motor you have to first be able to produce a motor with less than 1 degree of drift from one unit to another. The Titan 12T has a quality level of +/-2 degrees of error allowed. So even tho most are supposed to be 0 they range from -2 to +2. (This is why there are so many conflicting stories about some Titans lasting super long and others burning up in 2-3 packs.)

On the manufacturing side of this they don't just go producing better motors. They do what computer chip manufactures do and go about a binning process of testing each unit produced and sorting them. This is where the marking I was talking about come into play since most will use a punch to stamp a code or mark used for sorting the units.

Now-a-days just making an adjustable end-bell on the motor to change timing is plain easier and cheaper than bothering with binning fixed timed motors.

But yes it is best to be skeptical of anything from this old mind. Plus I would love to hear anything you can dig up about stock Titan 12T motors.
    Last edited by zedorda; 09-17-2020 at 12:53 AM.

Here alittle background on why I know about the inconsistencies in Titan 12T motors. Because Traxxas is pretty tight lipped about those specs.

A close friend of mine works at a local O'Reilly Auto Parts that used to be a Murray's Auto parts. Well in a back room they still had an old diagnostic machine for electric motors. It could test starter motors, generators, alternators, just about anything with a stator and coils. It is real old solid state stuff made before brushless was common. It had a large V-shaped area you placed the motor in. That looked like a laminated stack of plates you would then attach 2 alligator clips to the leads of the motor. Once engaged it would generate a magnetic field around the motor making it impossible to remove with just your hands. It would run the motor back and forth afew times then at different speeds. After about 3-4 mins an old style red LCD display looking almost like the back to the future dashboard. You would get several numbers each a value for a number of detected stats. Everything from power draw, RPM range, Kv, short detection, and timing plus many more.

Well I drop by there every now and then on his breaks. And on a few trips I have drought parts to get tested and once I asked to try and test the Titan 12T and an ARRMA 15T just see what we would get from them if anything. But they works fine in it. The thing is just so basic in its design it did not matter they were small. I have since tested 12 Titans with timing from -2 to +2. This wasn't a large sample size and only 2 were brand new. So I can only report on what I have seen.

I offer this information so you can weight it's value as you see fit.
    Last edited by Double G; 09-17-2020 at 07:53 AM. Reason: drug reference