Differential Oil Weights for 2WD

I had bought 200k oil in hopes to add a lsd effect to my truck but most of the fluid has leaked out. Only after I put the heavier fluid did i notice that someone claims 500k is the lowest you can go with 2wd diff cause its not sealed. Im looking at getting 1 million weight but I think thatll slow the truck down tremendously. With the extra drag from the thick fluid.

Does anybody have experience with different weights? Or sealing the diff housing?

Sent from my LGL722DL using Tapatalk

I have not changed or used diff fluids. I just add marine grease in mine. I pack it fairly full, but not completely full. I also have the Hot Racing Sealed diff, which helps a bunch.
    Everyday's a gift, thus now is called the present.

I just was searching around the web and i found differential grease. I think grease would be much better at staying inside of an unsealed differential than oil. I just need to find some thick stuff. Maybe wheel bearing grease for a car?

Quote Originally Posted by RCWilly View Post
    I have not changed or used diff fluids. I just add marine grease in mine. I pack it fairly full, but not completely full. I also have the Hot Racing Sealed diff, which helps a bunch.
    Haha we must've posted at nearly the same time. Marine grease. Thank you.

Accepting requests for bashing at GREENWOOD BASHPLEX in Pittsburgh PA!! Check the thread in the track buddy forum and reply there or pm
    I've tried the seal the stock diff mod a few times without success. Others claim it works, but I could never get it to seal up even with 100k.

If ya want a sealed oil filled diff, flm, or hot racing diffs are the way to go.

https://www.rcmart.com/tamiya-anti-w...53439-00008555

^^^^^ this grease is the only grease I've ever found that makes a difference with a stock diff. It is the thickest, stickiest grease I've ever seen. It will slow down the diff a good bit if you fill it full, it will not leak out, but the diff will loosen up over time. You will prob need to repack it every 10 to 20 runs to keep resistance in the diff. I found the HR diff to be a better solution, as it does not loosen up over time, and the resistance stays consistent.

Heavy marine grease or axle grease will not do much at all to slow down the diff action...
    Last edited by rag6; 08-21-2020 at 12:19 PM.
    Ya can't polish fertilizer...

My son has the Hot Racing diff and transmission on his Slash and I recently 17.5k fluid in there. Found if I went heavier it would push bad while cornering....it would push no matter what while hard on the throttle but lightening it up was better.
    The Super Derecho

Accepting requests for bashing at GREENWOOD BASHPLEX in Pittsburgh PA!! Check the thread in the track buddy forum and reply there or pm
    Running high traction tight carpet oval, I think I was running 20k to get it to turn. Bashing off road I think I liked 50k on low traction surfaces. Didn't feel it pushing unless I was on high traction surfaces. That is the beauty of the oil diffs. Such a wide range of tuning options.

Sent from my moto e5 cruise using Tapatalk

I have a bottle of 100k that i bought a bit ago. Its about like molasses.

RC Champion
    Bad Horsie grease works great for diffs.

http://www.badhorsie.com/products/diff-lock-grease.html

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk

I have heard that bad horsy is comparable to the Tamiya grease that I linked above.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by rag6 View Post
    I have heard that bad horsy is comparable to the Tamiya grease that I linked above.

Cool! I had no idea that Tamiya made a grease like that until now. I've never used the bad horsie Grease, but I've read about guys that have and it seems to work well. I know that Razor from Razor RC used some in his track race Slash. He did a whole video series on it on his YouTube channel

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk

Hm. Im thunkin about a sealed diff and some good fluid for sure is in my future.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    I run the FLM super diff with 500k oil. Itís a speed runner, it doesnít turn perfectly fine, I canít speak to pushing on turns as thatís not my cars purpose.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RC Competitor
    It depends what you are driving on. Looser terrain needs thinner oil and tighter terrain needs thicker oil. I put Lucas oil white lithium grease in mine

If you put thicker oil in your diff on a high traction surface, the car will push and not turn...

RC Competitor
    If you put thicker oil in your diff on a high traction surface, the car will push and not turn...

Yea I forgot people don’t set their cars up to slide loll sorry

I found that out racing on carpet. Many peeps raced with just grease in their gear diffs to get more turn in.
    I did also find that there is a trade off with running super thin oil or grease. You lose forward bite leaving turns and lap times suffer on carpet. Finding the right balance made a sizeable difference in lap times, but the more traction, the thinner I could go. It is all relative to your situation and driving style. There is no "correct" setup that blankets everyone...

I found that out racing on carpet. Many peeps raced with just grease in their gear diffs to get more turn in.
    I did also find that there is a trade off with running super thin oil or grease. You lose forward bite leaving turns and lap times suffer on carpet. Finding the right balance made a sizeable difference in lap times, but the more traction, the thinner I could go. It is all relative to your situation and driving style. There is no "correct" setup that blankets everyone...

For sure. Very well said. I just ordered the sealed hot racing diff I'll use the 100k oil i have and see how it feels.

Quote Originally Posted by Calebs0615 View Post
    For sure. Very well said. I just ordered the sealed hot racing diff I'll use the 100k oil i have and see how it feels.

I have a 2wd Rustler and have used that same diff with 30k - a little on the loose side, 60k - perfect for bashing, and 100k - pretty stiff. I have it set up as a monster/trail truck that keeps up pretty well with a TRX-4.

The hot racing diff is really well made. None of the three that I have, have ever leaked.

Quote Originally Posted by RC Dad View Post
    I have a 2wd Rustler and have used that same diff with 30k - a little on the loose side, 60k - perfect for bashing, and 100k - pretty stiff. I have it set up as a monster/trail truck that keeps up pretty well with a TRX-4.

The hot racing diff is really well made. None of the three that I have, have ever leaked.

Thats awesome info. Thank you.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gripdog7205 View Post
    I run the FLM super diff with 500k oil. Itís a speed runner, it doesnít turn perfectly fine, I canít speak to pushing on turns as thatís not my cars purpose.

I meant does.

RC Qualifier
    Call me crazy if ya want but Id followed an old Mechanics advice and switched to using true gear oil Lucas 85w 140 was my preference and have been very satisfied with the end results.