RC poster

Should i upgrade from rustler vxl 2wd?

Hi guys

i was wondering if should i upgrade to traxxas maxx 4s from a rustler vxl 2wd ?

can we call it an upgrade?
    Last edited by Spiritrises; 08-25-2020 at 01:58 PM.

RC Champion
    Best way to upgrade a rustler is to get a Maxx
    You won’t be disappointed
    fabricator

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by CrazyXMAXX View Post
    Best way to upgrade a rustler is to get a Maxx
    You wonít be disappointed
    is that really that much different? What about x-maxx ? i really do not have the opportunity to buy it in my country because no sells it but i sometimes think about it.

RC Racer
    I went from a 90mph 2wd rustler to the Maxx and havenít looked back. The Maxx is definitely a worthy upgrade.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by PFongemie View Post
    I went from a 90mph 2wd rustler to the Maxx and havenít looked back. The Maxx is definitely a worthy upgrade.

Have you ever thought about x-maxx before upgrading to maxx?

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Spiritrises View Post
    Have you ever thought about x-maxx before upgrading to maxx?
    I did but I didnít want something that big. The Maxx is big for a 1/10 scale, and itís a beast.

Quote Originally Posted by Spiritrises View Post
    Hi guys

i was wondering if should i upgrade to traxxas maxx 4s from a rustler vxl 2wd ?

can we call it an upgrade?
    They are different vehicles with different pros and cons and different levels of monetary commitment. So really, you are the only one who can answer this question, and it depends on your goals, desires, and budget.

The 2wd Rustler VXL is great because it's cheap, lightweight, simple, fast, relatively durable, and VERY versatile. You can put track tires on there and it will do great at the track. You can put street tires on it and it will do amazing speed runs (faster than a 4x4 in most cases). You can put monster truck tires on there and turn it into a great basher. It can fill all of those roles, with you not having to do anything more than change tires and possibly your gearing. If nothing else, this makes it a GREAT backup truck, or a loaner truck for a friend, since it can literally fill any role it needs to.

The downsides of the Rustler are that it's 2wd, which requires more throttle control to prevent from spinning out, especially on loose terrain. It won't handle rough terrain as well as a 4x4, regardless of tire choice. It's an old design, that is not quite as durable as newer vehicles.

The Maxx is great because it's a beast. It's a new design that is more durable out-of-the-box than pretty much anything Traxxas has ever made before. It's a 4x4 which makes it both easier to drive, and helps it perform fantastic on rough terrain. It's truly an amazing vehicle for bashing. It can handle big jumps and hard crashes that would probably cause the Rustler to disintegrate like something made out of legos.

The downsides of the Maxx are that it's expensive (including more expensive batteries), heavy, and pretty much only great at bashing. Although more durable, it needs to be more durable just to handle it's own weight during jumps. It will get shown up by vehicles costing less than half as much if you are doing speed runs or laps at the track.

The X-Maxx is.... large. That size doesn't personally have much appeal to me. Size and weight come with their own sets of pros and cons. I think it's silly to even try to directly compare an X-Maxx to a 1/10th scale vehicle - not because either is better, but because they are so different.
    Last edited by GotNoRice; 08-27-2020 at 04:03 AM.

RC Competitor
    Keep the Rusty and get a Maxx. The Rusty is simple to maintain and pretty light. Very fast on pavement, and pretty flat handling, compared to a Maxx.

Maxx handles rougher terrain better, with 4WD and more ground clearance.

I just raced a Rustler VXL today with my Maxx in a parking lot, and got dusted. (both on 3S) I'll rematch when I get my 4S packs, but I expect to get dusted again.

Running across a field, I think I'd dust him.

My friend with the Rustler is going to do just what I advised you to do. He's going to keep the Rustler, set it up for street running, and save up for a Maxx to run with mine.
    -Jeremy
    TRX-4|BL Summit|St4mpede|Aton|Maxx|Slash