RC Competitor

TQi 6530 Transmitter modification, channel 3 question

Hi all
    I'm getting back into RC after a few years off & have found my old TQi with the iPhone Dock is dead. (It's actually a bricked phone, but either way, it needs replacing)

The new bluetooth TQi seems the obvious choice, as it is compatible with all my receivers and I have an android phone for the app.

Only issue, I modified my old TQi to have a "centre off" switch on channel 3. I need 3 positions on the servo for my crawler, full left, full right and centre.

So I guess the question is, can I perform the same mod on the new TQi?

Many thanks

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Chewbacca 3 View Post
    Hi all
    I'm getting back into RC after a few years off & have found my old TQi with the iPhone Dock is dead. (It's actually a bricked phone, but either way, it needs replacing)

The new bluetooth TQi seems the obvious choice, as it is compatible with all my receivers and I have an android phone for the app.

Only issue, I modified my old TQi to have a "centre off" switch on channel 3. I need 3 positions on the servo for my crawler, full left, full right and centre.

Many thanks
    Hi mate, if you want, TQi TX has a four channel model, with swich for locking diffs.

RC Competitor
    Thanks for the reply, I maybe should have given more details, the top rocker switch for channels 4/5 is already in use on my crawler.

Channel 3 has been modified for 3 position rear wheel steering. Centre off makes the crawler a normal 2 wheel steer.
    Channel 4 switches to full time 4ws when engaged, so the rear is driven by the front or when flicked the other way (channel 5 if you like) full time 4ws but reversed direction for the rears to give a "crab" effect for want of a better term.

As for my 2 traxxas RCs, 1 just uses 2 channels, the other a 3rd to switch some lights on. Basically getting the new style transmitter would have no issue with these.

Hope that makes it a little clearer.
    Cheers

If you do the mod let us know what you did. I would do it to one of my controllers. I haven't opened one up but they appear to be the same except for the BlueTooth module.

RC Competitor
    Well, I've picked one up. First test though, there's an issue with channel 4 before I've even opened it up.
    Once I've sorted that, or ditched it as faulty, I'll report back.

RC Champion
    Well, I've picked one up. First test though, there's an issue with channel 4 before I've even opened it up.
    Once I've sorted that, or ditched it as faulty, I'll report back.
    Hope you can solve it soon.

RC Enthusiast
    You just need a 3 position switch like the on on the top of the radio, and to make a plate to mount it where the old red switch is. The red switch has only 3 wires so its easy to convert. I used to do for my my crawlers too

RC Competitor
    It's exactly what I've done with my older TQi with iPhone Dock built in.

First photo, hope this works....

It appears not....

[*IMG*]https://flic.kr/p/2jBy4mV[/IMG]
    If you remove the *s, anyone know what's wrong with this link please?
    Last edited by Chewbacca 3; 08-30-2020 at 04:17 AM.

It's exactly what I've done with my older TQi with iPhone Dock built in.

First photo, hope this works....

It appears not....

[*IMG*]https://flic.kr/p/2jBy4mV[/IMG]
    If you remove the *s, anyone know what's wrong with this link please?
    I use the BBCode from Flicker site (I'm using a desktop) and enter it in the Insert Image link. Many say that Tapatalk is easier for a mobile device.

RC Champion

I upload the image to a server.

RC Competitor
    hi all. I've got to get the photo issue sorted, it's a flickr/phone issue I've discovered on another thread.
    I've updates on this mini project to post up, I'll try to find time later today.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Juanmacine View Post
    In the meantime, this is my old transmitter. You can see the channel 3 red rocker switch has been swapped out for an on-off-on toggle switch. It was a simple modification that hopefully replicates on the newer bluetooth transmitter.

RC Competitor
    So here goes, see how badly I can mess up all the photos!

The unit opens up very easily, just whip the screws out & the back cover lifts away. Take your bluetooth module out first if you have one, the pins for the connection on this are long & suspect easily damaged.
    On this picture you can see the PCB mounted rocker switch for channel 3.

So for testing, I disconnected the black wire (common on the switch) and powered up.
    With black disconnected, the channel 3 servo sat at the centre point. touch onto yellow sends it one way, touch onto purple the other. Disconnect & it centralises again.

Next step, disconnect purple & yellow at the switch, take the 2 screws out & remove the rocker completely.
    This leaves a slot in the case, but a standard mini toggle switch fastens into the top perfectly. I just used a bit of sticky black foam to fill the rest of the hole up.

Solder the 3 wires into place on the new switch & job done. You don't need a 2 sets of connections on your switch, it was all I had laying around so there's a set of unused terminals on my switch. It just needs to be on-off-on to work.

Be careful putting the case back together that you don't trap any of the wires.
    Once complete channel 3 now has a centre position instead of just full left & right. You obviously can't change end points etc, but it makes the channel much more flexible for other uses, in my case part of the rear steering on my crawler!

Oh, I found out what the weird channel 4 issue was; it's a dodgy switching unit plugged into the receiver, nothing to do with the new transmitter at all.

RC Champion
    In the meantime, this is my old transmitter. You can see the channel 3 red rocker switch has been swapped out for an on-off-on toggle switch. It was a simple modification that hopefully replicates on the newer bluetooth transmitter.
    Of course, you can swap the switch for the toggle one as you make in the older one TX.

RC Competitor
    That's exactly what I did, plus used the rocker switch from the new unit to make the old transmitter stock again.

RC Champion
    So here goes, see how badly I can mess up all the photos!

The unit opens up very easily, just whip the screws out & the back cover lifts away. Take your bluetooth module out first if you have one, the pins for the connection on this are long & suspect easily damaged.
    On this picture you can see the PCB mounted rocker switch for channel 3.

So for testing, I disconnected the black wire (common on the switch) and powered up.
    With black disconnected, the channel 3 servo sat at the centre point. touch onto yellow sends it one way, touch onto purple the other. Disconnect & it centralises again.

Next step, disconnect purple & yellow at the switch, take the 2 screws out & remove the rocker completely.
    This leaves a slot in the case, but a standard mini toggle switch fastens into the top perfectly. I just used a bit of sticky black foam to fill the rest of the hole up.

Solder the 3 wires into place on the new switch & job done. You don't need a 2 sets of connections on your switch, it was all I had laying around so there's a set of unused terminals on my switch. It just needs to be on-off-on to work.

Be careful putting the case back together that you don't trap any of the wires.
    Once complete channel 3 now has a centre position instead of just full left & right. You obviously can't change end points etc, but it makes the channel much more flexible for other uses, in my case part of the rear steering on my crawler!

Oh, I found out what the weird channel 4 issue was; it's a dodgy switching unit plugged into the receiver, nothing to do with the new transmitter at all.
    Excellent job, mate

RC Competitor
    Cheers. It's still working well.

I also had a look at making channels 4 & 5 independent, but they don't seem to want to trigger at the same time. If I ever need to have it to bits again, I might try running them through a couple of diodes to see if that helps. I don't need the functionality at the minute, but if I get bored I might give it a go.