Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RC Racer

New firmware update appears to have bricked my Xmaxx

Ran through the update normally and initially the car ran fine. Steering seemed a bit off though so I went back into the app to readjust the steering servo endpoints. The second I went into the garage menu the truck became unresponsive. Upon powering everything off and back on, the only thing it will do is try to max out the steering servo travel turning the wheels left until the servo stalls. There is no telemetry being displayed on the dashboard and my voltage warning keeps chiming.

I'll troubleshoot further once I get home but for now, the truck is out of commission.

Any similar experiences? Suggestions?

Did it fully update fine?

What version is the firmware. I think if you go to about section it will tell you.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

RC Champion
    New Firmware update Works here on
    many systems with no problems
    fabricator

Never heard of an update causing issues after it was working. Was TSM on when you were trying to adjust the steering? How is the charge on the batteries? Do they need to be charged?

What lights are on or flashing on the ESC?

RC Racer
    So I got home, pulled it out of the car and plopped the X-Maxx on the ground, powered on the transmitter, then the truck and still nothing. I brought it inside, this time powering on the app, then the transmitter then the truck and lo and behold it started working. I'm going to try again to set the endpoints and see what happens.

5 min later...

And as soon as I got into the steering channel setup, the same thing happened again. No response to controls. At least this is a repeatable fault so I don't have to feel like a doofus.

For the record, any time I'm in the menus, TSM is dialed to 0.
    Last edited by cgrant26; 08-27-2020 at 06:16 PM.

RC Champion
    Call or email Traxxas support
    fabricator

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by CrazyXMAXX View Post
    Call or email Traxxas support
    I think that's the next step. I have gotten the truck to come back twice now so this is now more of an issue with being unable to adjust channel settings.

Oh, and for anyone wondering...

Firmware versions:
    TQI Transmitter - 8.1.2
    TQI Transmitter Subsystem - 2.0.17
    TSM Receiver - 8.1.13
    TSM Receiver Subsystem - 2.0.20

Bluetooth Module (6511) - 1.0.30

App version - 8.1.0.11444

Definitely weird. Time to give Traxxas support a call.

Quote Originally Posted by grizzly03 View Post
    Definitely weird. Time to give Traxxas support a call.
    ^ this.

May be you found a bug in the new firmware? If tsm is off. No clue what's going on.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by cgrant26 View Post
    I think that's the next step. I have gotten the truck to come back twice now so this is now more of an issue with being unable to adjust channel settings.

Firmware versions:
    TQI Transmitter - 8.1.2
    TSM Receiver - 8.1.13

Thanks for the advice, mate.

RC Racer
    Traxxas support was unable to figure out why this was happening and will be passing it up the chain. It's 100% repeatable and consistent. Entering the steering channel setup causes the truck to become unresponsive. I tried going into the throttle channel setup to further test it and it did the same thing except it locked the motor into full throttle and nothing but pulling the battery plug would stop it.

You definitely want to pull the wheels off or raise the truck off the ground before messing with any channel settings!

RC Champion
    Run away hazard
    If that is repeatable call support back
    They should want to address that issue
    I Haven’t messed with any settings
    Didn’t notice any change in performance
    No Need for adjustments
    fabricator

RC Racer
    Traxxas support was unable to figure out what is causing the issue so likely a bug with the new firmware. The issue is 100% repeatable and consistent. Any time I go into the steering channel settings the truck becomes unresponsive. I can still move the sliders but I can't see the results until I shut everything off and turn it all back on in order. (including restarting the app)

Just for testing purposes I tried going into the throttle channel settings to see if it did the same thing and the truck again became unresponsive but unlike before, it gunned the motor to 100% first. The only way to stop it was by pulling one of the battery connectors apart. Thank God I took the wheels off before I started troubleshooting.

You definitely want to take the wheels off or elevate the truck's wheels off the ground before going into the channel settings on this new firmware.

I guess next question is who else wants to do the update and see if they get the same results as OP when going into the channel settings?

To me if multiple people do the update and get the same results then it is definitely a bug in the firmware.

I also wonder if it will be the same across multiple esc versions. Or just a set of each versions.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Acidic01 View Post
    I guess next question is who else wants to do the update and see if they get the same results as OP when going into the channel settings?

To me if multiple people do the update and get the same results then it is definitely a bug in the firmware.

I also wonder if it will be the same across multiple esc versions. Or just a set of each versions.

Probably in this weekend, I try to update, but my ESC is a Hobbywing Max6, I don't know if the problem occurs with it.

RC Champion

Firmware versions:
    TQI Transmitter - 8.1.2
    TSM Receiver - 8.1.13

Mate, after your message, I check the firmware versions I have and are the same as yours, but I haven't any problems, żIt's possible you have a corrupt download firmware?

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Juanmacine View Post
    Mate, after your message, I check the firmware versions I have and are the same as yours, but I haven't any problems, żIt's possible you have a corrupt download firmware?
    I suppose anything is possible. I picked up my X-Maxx in early July so it's a newer 8S model. The only change to the electronics was switching to a ProModeler 930 servo.

Have you tried deleting the app and reinstall?

Can you use the steering trim on transmitter without turning on the app?
    Last edited by grizzly03; 08-28-2020 at 04:38 PM.

RC Racer
    Have you tried deleting the app and reinstall?

Can you use the steering trim on transmitter without turning on the app?
    Yes, the steering trim and TSM knobs both both work as they should.

I haven't tried uninstalling/reinstalling the app yet. I'll probably give it a try later on.

I'll see about testing my rig this weekend if I get the time. And see what results I get ( I'm stock electronics other than 2085x servo)

I don't see the promolder servo as being a issue. As you say if you go into the throttle setting . The rig goes into runaway mode.

But perhaps remove connector for the servo from the rx. And then go into the app and see if there are still issues.

On things like this it's about elimination variables. The repeatability of your issue definitely helps in trying to pinpoint the issue. I do wish there was a way to rollback firmware updates.

Firmware versions:
    TQI Transmitter - 8.1.2
    TSM Receiver - 8.1.13

All my numbers are the same except for the App Version of which I have 8.1.0.11438 and have not been offered the latest App version download on my phone yet that you have.

Another curious thing, where are you finding the Bluetooth Module version 1.0.30? It isn't listed with the other version numbers in the "About" section, so where are you getting that version information number?

This is getting ridiculous because when I read back to your first post, you mentioned about the steering servo hard chocking left until it stalled and also a "runaway" situation that can occur if the throttle settings are adjusted in the "Garage".

Not only could that possibly burn out $159 dollar servos, but now the vehicle has the potential to strike full throttle just entering into the settings.

I remember a time when I had my vehicle powered on and the transmitter powered on and I linked the App to search for updates and my vehicle went full throttle reverse. I was ready for anything and I had the reverse percentage only at 25%; but it still took off in reverse and I just turned the wheels so it tipped on its lid and powered down the App and it stopped going full throttle reverse.

Recreated the scenario and it did the same thing again. Every time I manually searched for updates with the Traxxas Link App and Bluetooth Module the vehicle took off violently in reverse. This was like a couple previous versions of the App prior to this situation you are explaining.

This problem remained for a month on all my vehicles and I was scared to death to even link the App at all for quite some time. I'm tired of people not taking pride in their work - especially programming engineers responsible for making all this something that the customer has to deal with. Why can't people look beyond a check anymore and realize there are actual customers that want something to work without destroying itself because some bozo had a grudge with his girlfriend the night before and takes his actions out by doing a shoddy job and making other people (customers) suffer?

I'm tired of people taking personal vendettas to work with them and getting paid in the process even if something doesn't work. I would sweep those programmers out in short order if I was in charge. People need to step up and not be afraid to challenge incompetence in the workplace - but no......they are worried about a check also and take no pride in their job either even if they are the boss.

I would even go as far as insinuating that these are not programming bug or glitches; but rather intentional mistakes just so they continue to have a job of fixing things they intentionally break on purpose. In the Navy, we considered this sabotage and those guys were either thrown overboard if at sea or sent somewhere where we would never have to think about them again.

Unfortunately, in the civilian sector, this level of incompetence goes unpunished because the employer is afraid the employee will come back and shoot up the place because his personal vendettas have still not subsided that caused the situation in the first place.
    Last edited by Flux Capacitor; 08-28-2020 at 10:02 PM. Reason: Now I said what I feel!
    Sent from my autonomous device.

FWIW: Adjustments to channels (steering,throttle) are live. Meaning they can be adjusted in real time. So if your adjusting the throttle trim and the truck takes off that would be on the user. I set my truck on something so the wheels are off the ground before I adjust settings.

RC Competitor
    Just had a go at this and I am having the same issues, except there is no runaway. When I go into either steering or throttle channels, the truck becomes non-responsive. To fix it I have to shut off truck, transmitter, and also restart the app. I have the same firmware versions and stock electronics except 2085x and light kit.

FWIW: Adjustments to channels (steering,throttle) are live. Meaning they can be adjusted in real time. So if your adjusting the throttle trim and the truck takes off that would be on the user. I set my truck on something so the wheels are off the ground before I adjust settings.
    It is worth something grizzly (FWIW) and great advice to boot; but the throttle trim in "Drive Effects" is different than the throttle percentage in garage>channel setup. The setting in the garage can be jacked up to 120% like the brake percentage and not move the vehicle at all during a live adjustment.

I believe he was referring to the settings in the garage which can be adjusted without fear of a runaway on the throttle setting. The throttle trim, like you are pointing out, is a different story and can cause the vehicle to run away when adjusted in real time.

Besides, he pointed out that just entering into the settings without making adjustments caused unresponsiveness. Obviously there is something wrong in the coding within the update.

Furthermore, Traxxas must concur that something is wrong because I still haven't got a notification on my phone that the APP has a new version.
    Last edited by Flux Capacitor; 08-29-2020 at 09:03 AM. Reason: Clarification.

RC Champion
    I suppose anything is possible. I picked up my X-Maxx in early July so it's a newer 8S model. The only change to the electronics was switching to a ProModeler 930 servo.
    Mate, the PROMODELER servo probably is not the problem, it's a firmware issue for sure, not components.

Mate, the PROMODELER servo probably is not the problem, it's a firmware issue for sure, not components.
    What concerns me, is I have this notion that Traxxas is customizing their firmware to only accept Traxxas electronics in a proprietary move to further discourage us from using aftermarket servos. This may very well be an attempt rather than a flub to make sure the proprietary theme forces us to use their equipment period.

I had looked carefully at the electronic boards in both the 2085 and 2085X servos by Traxxas and they contain extra memory bank chips not seen on their previous servo boards. I seem to have this very strong hunch that those extra memory board chips are correlating with the Traxxas Rx's in ways that previously were not done in the past.

They threw this App update out there all of the sudden that includes the firmware update (supposedly; but not from what I can see according to the numbers) and the problems are starting all over again. Once the App Version is updated, the firmware can be upgraded without Wi-Fi or cellular data turned on because the firmware is encoded in the App version update itself.

Yet, what I don't understand, is all the version numbers are the same for the firmware between the two App version numbers. The App version number is the only number that changed as far as I can see from the postings in this thread.

I believe it is a test App update (not firmware) so they could see if it would have any effect on their stock electronics (which it did) before they implement a proprietary move. Be warned......I got a feeling this is going to get interesting.

I sure hope not; but I wouldn't put it past a greedy notion that it is possible that something Traxxas is doing lately corners the aftermarket once you buy a Traxxas vehicle.
    Last edited by Flux Capacitor; 08-29-2020 at 11:16 AM. Reason: Fixed.

Quote Originally Posted by Flux Capacitor View Post
    It is worth something grizzly (FWIW) and great advice to boot; but the throttle trim in "Drive Effects" is different than the throttle percentage in garage>channel setup. The setting in the garage can be jacked up to 120% like the brake percentage and not move the vehicle at all during a live adjustment.

I believe he was referring to the settings in the garage which can be adjusted without fear of a runaway on the throttle setting. The throttle trim, like you are pointing out, is a different story and can cause the vehicle to run away when adjusted in real time...
    Adjusting Drive affects/Throttle trim or Garage/channel setup/Throttle sub-trim are both live. The vehicle can take off. The Throttle sub-trim setting is in the same location as those Brake and Throttle percentages.

You are correct about the Brake & Throttle percentage sliders not making the vehicle move.

RC Champion
    What concerns me, is I have this notion that Traxxas is customizing their firmware to only accept Traxxas electronics in a proprietary move to further discourage us from using aftermarket servos. This may very well be an attempt rather than a flub to make sure the proprietary theme forces us to use their equipment period.

I had looked carefully at the electronic boards in both the 2085 and 2085X servos by Traxxas and they contain extra memory bank chips not seen on their previous servo boards. I seem to have this very strong hunch that those extra memory board chips are correlating with the Traxxas Rx's in ways that previously were not done in the past.

They threw this App update out there all of the sudden that includes the firmware update (supposedly; but not from what I can see according to the numbers) and the problems are starting all over again. Once the App Version is updated, the firmware can be upgraded without Wi-Fi or cellular data turned on because the firmware is encoded in the App version update itself.

Yet, what I don't understand, is all the version numbers are the same for the firmware between the two App version numbers. The App version number is the only number that changed as far as I can see from the postings in this thread.

I believe it is a test App update (not firmware) so they could see if it would have any effect on their stock electronics (which it did) before they implement a proprietary move. Be warned......I got a feeling this is going to get interesting.

I sure hope not; but I wouldn't put it past a greedy notion that it is possible that something Traxxas is doing lately corners the aftermarket once you buy a Traxxas vehicle.
    I have the exactly same numbers of firmware version as cgrant26 and haven't any issues, I change the stock servo for a JX 46kg and my ESC is a Hobbywing Max6.

I have the exactly same numbers of firmware version as cgrant26 and haven't any issues, I change the stock servo for a JX 46kg and my ESC is a Hobbywing Max6.
    Yes, but do you have the App Version he has which is Latest App version: 8.1.0.11444?

Like I mentioned, all my Firmware numbers are the same as his except for the App Version itself in which case I have App Version 8.1.0.11438 and have not been offered the new update yet of 8.1.0.11444.

That is another thing I don't understand, why are certain cell phone carriers offered the latest App versions quicker and not necessarily just the Traxxas Link App ---- Any App?

I mean if the new Traxxas Link App update is live, how can some be getting it two or three days in advance yet alone I don't think I'll see it for a week. I know it doesn't have anything to do with the settings in my phone - so where is my update?

I want to download it so I have something to complain about too!

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by MyBall View Post
    Just had a go at this and I am having the same issues, except there is no runaway. When I go into either steering or throttle channels, the truck becomes non-responsive. To fix it I have to shut off truck, transmitter, and also restart the app. I have the same firmware versions and stock electronics except 2085x and light kit.
    Just to add, I also have app version 8.1.0.11444

Just to add, I also have app version 8.1.0.11444
    Mine is the same. Using an Android phone.

Tried adjusting different settings on my mini erevo. Same results as the OP! Channel settings that are being changed have no affect on the truck. Reset to defaults, still nothing. Touched trigger on controller, truck took off. Couldn't stop it untill I unplugged the battery. If it wasn't on a stand it would have took off with no control. Not even steering.

This is the reason why I believe an update should have the option of updating later, not you have to in order to use the app.
    Last edited by grizzly03; 08-29-2020 at 03:23 PM.

RC Competitor
    Tried it on my completely stock E-Revo 2.0, and it has the same issue. It also started spinning, but only when I squeezed the trigger far. I only squeezed the trigger lightly on the X-Maxx, so I guess it would've started spinning as well had I squeezed it further. Kind of scary, really don't want these things to run away with wheels on them..

RC Champion
    Yes, but do you have the App Version he has which is Latest App version: 8.1.0.11444?

Like I mentioned, all my Firmware numbers are the same as his except for the App Version itself in which case I have App Version 8.1.0.11438 and have not been offered the new update yet of 8.1.0.11444.

That is another thing I don't understand, why are certain cell phone carriers offered the latest App versions quicker and not necessarily just the Traxxas Link App ---- Any App?

I mean if the new Traxxas Link App update is live, how can some be getting it two or three days in advance yet alone I don't think I'll see it for a week. I know it doesn't have anything to do with the settings in my phone - so where is my update?

I want to download it so I have something to complain about too!
    Yes, my App version is the same too. I updated it a few time ago.

Tried it on my completely stock E-Revo 2.0, and it has the same issue. It also started spinning, but only when I squeezed the trigger far. I only squeezed the trigger lightly on the X-Maxx, so I guess it would've started spinning as well had I squeezed it further. Kind of scary, really don't want these things to run away with wheels on them..
    I started a thread in the Traxxas Link Forum section. It seems not to be limited to just the X-maxx. My Mini Erevo is now bricked and I'm not able to use it even with the app turned off.

Link to thread:forums.showthread-Traxxas-Link-update

RC Racer
    I started a thread in the Traxxas Link Forum section. It seems not to be limited to just the X-maxx. My Mini Erevo is now bricked and I'm not able to use it even with the app turned off.

Link to thread:forums.showthread-Traxxas-Link-update
    Thanks! That should help bring more attention to the issue. I'd imagine that ANY Traxxas vehicle running away full-bore has the potential to injure someone or do some property damage. Something like that would undoubtedly be exposing Traxxas to some liability. I can't imagine they would sit on this one while following whatever update roadmap schedule they have laid out. I mean, could you imagine a 20+ lb X-Maxx slamming into someone's ankle at 40-50 mph? F=ma is an unforgiving mistress.

At least it's only limited to users running the app and bluetooth module. (so far)

RC Champion
    Hi everyone, I write to Traxxas Support by email to tell they this problem with the App, and send they this thread to inform.

RC Enthusiast
    Have this exact issue on my Rustler 4x4 VXL after firmware update. Here's my vid of the issue. The app works as a key or dongle, which I hope is not its intended use and just a firmware bug.

RC Champion
    Hi mates, Traxxas send me a response to my emails to they:

Hello Juanma,

Our App Development team is working on it and it will be corrected in the next update.

Sincerely
    Stefano
    Traxxas Support

If you need immediate assistance please contact our Customer Service department Monday through Friday, 8:30am to 9:00pm Central Time at one of the following numbers:

US Customers 1-888-TRAXXAS (Toll Free)
    Outside of US 001-972-549-3000

RC Champion
    About the issue, Traxxas did a new App update, at last, this fix the problems.

Now the App shows this:

And i check all the features and all it's OK.

RC Racer
    About the issue, Traxxas did a new App update, at last, this fix the problems.

Now the App shows this:

And i check all the features and all it's OK.
    Nice job, buddy.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast