Why doesn't the Hoss 4x4 use Arm Guards?

The Stampede 4x4 has always used Arm guards on the A-Arms. Example:
    https://traxxas.com/products/parts/6733

It surprised me when the Hoss 4x4 was released and did not include any Arm guards, since it's also a Monster Truck. The Rustler 4x4 doesn't use Arm Guards either, but it's a Stadium Truck. Are the new Rustler 4x4 A-Arms not compatible with the Arm Guards? If so, I would assume that's why the Hoss 4x4 doesn't use them either (since the Hoss 4x4 uses the same new A-Arms as the Rustler 4x4). Or were they purposefully excluded due to weight or cost reasons?

The Arm Guards seem to have really helped with the life of the A-Arms on my trucks. I use them on both of my Stampede 4x4s as well as my Slash 4x4 Monster Truck conversion. When I go over things like gravel, dirt with some embedded rocks, grass with hidden debris such as sticks and rocks, etc, it can be like using a cheese-grater on the plastic parts. Having the front of the A-Arms as well as the bottom of the shocks directly exposed to that instead seems somewhat less than ideal.

Two of my retired Arm-Guards. They put up a good fight - so that my A-Arms didn't have to:

I think the arms are the same on the Hoss as the Slash 4c4 LCG.

I don't have a Hoss, but I do have Slash 4X4 LCGs (Platinum Editions). I have used the Stampede A-arm guards on my rigs. The front A-arm guards are a direct drop-in fit, but the rears guards have to be modded to fit.

Stock on right, modded on left:

https://forums.traxxas.com/showthrea...=1#post5953630

Again, I do not have a Hoss. I do not know if it's chassis would get in the way as the Slash 4x4 LCG chassis did.

Good luck!
    Creativity is intelligence having fun. -Einstein

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Squeegie View Post
    I think the arms are the same on the Hoss as the Slash 4c4 LCG.

I don't have a Hoss, but I do have Slash 4X4 LCGs (Platinum Editions). I have used the Stampede A-arm guards on my rigs. The front A-arm guards are a direct drop-in fit, but the rears guards have to be modded to fit.

Stock on right, modded on left:

https://forums.traxxas.com/showthrea...=1#post5953630

Again, I do not have a Hoss. I do not know if it's chassis would get in the way as the Slash 4x4 LCG chassis did.

Good luck!
    I might buy these and try them on my Hoss. Do they really protect anything? Seems like you’re just scratching one piece of plastic instead of the other.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The guards act like deflectors and change the angle of impact of objects. Lowering the chance of debris getting into the suspension or getting caught and dragged along. Also protects the heads of the screws. I use them on my Monster Slash.

Quote Originally Posted by Bchain5 View Post
    Do they really protect anything?
    I'd say that the most important part that they protect is really the shocks. The shocks are just held on by a single screw on the front of the A-Arm and very exposed to impacts. They protect the A-Arms also obviously. While you could just let your A-Arms take the impacts and eventually replace the A-Arms, the arm guards are cheaper.

They also really help on tall grass. Tall grass / weeds get stuck in the shocks. Even the arm guards don't totally prevent it, but I do think that they help.

Kind of odd that traxxas didn't make the mold for the arms like many of their trucks where the shock end is captured on both sides in the arm, like the revo, maxx 4s, x-maxx, jato... etc. Wonder why they didn't. Makes for a much more solid support for the shock end. Keeps it from twisting/bending/ripping out of the arm. Or at least makes it far less likely.
    https://www.youtube.com/c/olds97lss

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by olds97_lss View Post
    Kind of odd that traxxas didn't make the mold for the arms like many of their trucks where the shock end is captured on both sides in the arm, like the revo, maxx 4s, x-maxx, jato... etc. Wonder why they didn't. Makes for a much more solid support for the shock end. Keeps it from twisting/bending/ripping out of the arm. Or at least makes it far less likely.
    I think that’s just the result of have suspension arms that trace their lineage back to the 2wd buggies. Plus when they came out with the slash 4x4 they probably didn’t envision the cars to become the monstrosities that people like us ended up making, so it was perfectly adequate for what they envisioned. Plus at the time was there even any 4wd short course trucks around to compare to?

I guess, but really, at this point, knowing what they know, it wouldn't be too outside the realm of reasonableness to update the mold and include a couple new screws with a pair of arms. They would still work for front/rear/left/right on all the vehicles and would be a nice improvement on something that can be applied to 4+ trucks as an upgrade option. Like when they made the "winter" arms.
    https://www.youtube.com/c/olds97lss

RC Qualifier
    Agreed. Fully captured shock end seems likely a no brainer and their newer cars do seem to embrace that.

RC Racer
    How do you put guards on a truck that has sway bars though? Looks like where the guards screw in - is where the sway bars screw in...

Quote Originally Posted by halygon View Post
    How do you put guards on a truck that has sway bars though? Looks like where the guards screw in - is where the sway bars screw in...
    It works fine. The 2nd screw on the arm guards goes through a plastic spacer that sits between the arm guard and the A-Arm. When you install the sway bars, the hallow balls take the place of the plastic spacers.

An example from my Slash 4x4 Monster Truck:

Last edited by GotNoRice; 09-01-2020 at 03:35 PM.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by GotNoRice View Post
    It works fine. The 2nd screw on the arm guards goes through a plastic spacer that sits between the arm guard and the A-Arm. When you install the sway bars, the hallow balls take the place of the plastic spacers.

An example from my Slash 4x4 Monster Truck:
    Thanks man!