RC Competitor

Drive shaft(s) keep popping out ?

My sons is very happy with his ERrevo VXL - however lately the rear left/right drive shafts have been popping out, and once with one of the front ones. This happens when just playing around, usually if it takes a flip/tumble. He has owned and run this for the last year and a half with minor issues, but now suddenly popping the shafts out (see pic). Any thoughts why this is happening or a fix/upgrade to prevent this?

https://flic.kr/p/2jB66uW

Thanks!

RC Enthusiast
    I'd say to replace them. Once it becomes flexible enough to pop out on its own its done for imo.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

RC Competitor
    What should I replace....I'm assuming the yoke? or should I be replacing the pair?

I see they offer an 7151x 'upgrade' version - any reason to jump up to those or will those do more damage than good?

I have yet to have a issue with my stock axles on 3s.

The 7151x could be a good upgrade. May get a bit more issues with diff ring gear breaks.

But I think if replaced with stock. And learn some throttle control. Ie when landing be off the throttle that may help the most.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

RC Racer
    A year and a half of use on the stock plastic axles is pretty good. I myself (and my 6 year old son), haven't had the stock plastic axles last that long (although we only have 10th scale trucks). I'd say stick with stock and you'll get another year or 2 out of them.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Steve g View Post
    A year and a half of use on the stock plastic axles is pretty good. I myself (and my 6 year old son), haven't had the stock plastic axles last that long (although we only have 10th scale trucks). I'd say stick with stock and you'll get another year or 2 out of them.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
    This for sure depends on your driving style and what you're using for electronics. Cause I go through an axle about every 5 to 10 battery packs.

EDIT: I use a 2wd slash with monster tires for the record

Sent from my LGL722DL using Tapatalk

RC Enthusiast
    You'd really have to replace the whole thing with a stock one if you want to stay stock. Rebuilding those requires a lot of part bending which will lead to spending more money instead of just getting a whole new part. Idk anything about the upgraded ones as I'm still using the same ones I've had since it came out of the box. I run 2s and run it pretty hard.

Yeah trying to rebuild the plastic ones is a no go. Theyll break or bend and youll wish you bought a full axle

Sent from my LGL722DL using Tapatalk

RC Competitor
    I have four #7151 replacements on order. It is easy enough to snap the pins back in, most time, but I have a feeling this will just keep happening more. I also order the RPM bumpers, front/rear to help take the impact vs the tires that might be spinning when it flips, so that might help as well taking the load off the driveshafts. These are simple enough to swap out as well. I looked into the upgrade and they are significantly more expensive and will only push the damage further up the system. Thanks!

RC Enthusiast
    Steel driveshafts means steel drive trains. I would doubt the diffs ability to handle that much load so I wouldn't go for it at all. My traxxas ones like I said have worked great but if you keep having problems aftermarket is always a viable option. I also run trencher tires instead of stock. I know they are lighter but they work way better imo.