RC Competitor

How to get more speed on 6s?

I am wanting a bit more speed on my xmaxx since i cant even do backflips off of jumps. I am running stock tires with stock gearing. Any help is appreciated. thanks.

RC Qualifier
    I ran 6S for a couple of years and finally gave up and went 8S.

The problem with 6S is if use anything over the stock gearing you start running into heat issues due to the current needed to make power.

I was always on the edge of thermally shutting down the ESC running 6S.

Do you have the 46 tooth gear they include with the truck? You can run that on flat hard surfaces for a while. Don't go off road with it. It will definitely boost your speed. Just don't run it full out for too long.

Once you go to 8S, you can gear it down to control top speed and get the torque monster you want.

8S uses more voltage instead of current to produce the power. P=V*C or Power equal voltage times current. If you use less voltage you need more current. Current produces a lot more heat than voltage. That's why 6S will always leave you kind of wanting.

Just my 2 cents I learned the hard way.

Anybody want a pair of SMC 10500 MAH 3S batteries.

Ouch, that was over $200.

I'm gonna see if I can squeeze them into my 4pede somehow.

Don

RC Competitor
    No i do not have the 46 tooth. I might switch over to 8s but it will be $200+ easily. 4s batteries, 8s esc.

Quote Originally Posted by NitroRusty123 View Post
    No i do not have the 46 tooth. I might switch over to 8s but it will be $200+ easily. 4s batteries, 8s esc.
    It's 200$+ just for a set of good batteries.

Then esc diffs and tires. $3-400ish

For me even on 8s it all depends on the jump if I get backflips or not. And how I'm sending it. I also kevlar wrap my tires to prevent ballooning.

I normally don't go for flips as it increases the breakage frequency, and tire wear.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

RC Champion
    I think the 6S version is a good rig, but when the customers did demands more power and speed, Traxxas develops the 8S one, NitroRusty123, if you want, JennyRc has a bunch of new stuff took of from dismantled new rigs, it's possible to buy it for a better price and you have 8S stuff.

RC Competitor
    ok thanks everyone. I might just start using my xmaxx for bashing and jumps with no flips. I will save all the backflips for my rustler. Maybe someday i might upgrade to 8s but it will be expensive.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by NitroRusty123 View Post
    ok thanks everyone. I might just start using my xmaxx for bashing and jumps with no flips. I will save all the backflips for my rustler. Maybe someday i might upgrade to 8s but it will be expensive.
    Enjoy your rig mate, is a very good truck.

RC Qualifier
    Another option is to keep an eye out for a used 8S and then sell the 6S.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RC Competitor
    A bit off topic but hadnít noticed that the latest XMAXX comes with the 1200 vs the original 8S 1600 motor.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

If I remember right, the first Xmaxx was 6s and had a 1600kv motor. Then there was this Hop-Up Kit that kicked up the ESC to 8s, but you kept the 1600kv motor. Then when the newest Xmaxx came out you got the 8s ESC and the 1200kv motor.
    Life's to short to be a sour puss.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by ReglarGuy View Post
    If I remember right, the first Xmaxx was 6s and had a 1600kv motor. Then there was this Hop-Up Kit that kicked up the ESC to 8s, but you kept the 1600kv motor. Then when the newest Xmaxx came out you got the 8s ESC and the 1200kv motor.
    I did get my motors reversed. thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RC Qualifier
    this was similar to my very first post here. i agree the performance and speed on 6s is abysmal. None of the videos do it justice.

Just make the jump to 8s. yeah the batteries cost a ton, but it solves all your problems with the truck.

RC Racer
    I saw Xmaxx running on 8S on Sunday doing flips off a quarter pipe during our meet.