Thread: Radio Upgrade

RC Competitor

Radio Upgrade

Hi everyone! I've been thinking ahead a lot for upcoming upgrades and I started thinking about the radio system. I'm looking for a nice cheap radio with multiple channels and can control multiple models. TQI seems pretty good but it is a little limeted on channels and the link cost quite a bit for what it is, you can do the settings from the radio without it, it's just a little harder. Should I stick with the TQI for a little longer or switch to something else. If I should switch, any ideas? I've heard the Flysky GT-5 is pretty good.

What is your budget?

Personally, I like my DX5C and DX5R TXs, they work well, are easy to navigate and program, and they just work. I know a lot of people why like their Flysky radios, but I have seen a lot of them break as well. I don't care for how the GT-5 feels, it seems like if I squeeze too hard I'll break it.

What rig do you have?

Going to a different radio loses cruise control. Also, setting up locking diffs on one channel can be a challenge.
    Submarine Qualified, Chief Inducted, Navy Retired

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Aver View Post
    Hi everyone! I've been thinking ahead a lot for upcoming upgrades and I started thinking about the radio system. I'm looking for a nice cheap radio with multiple channels and can control multiple models. TQI seems pretty good but it is a little limeted on channels and the link cost quite a bit for what it is, you can do the settings from the radio without it, it's just a little harder. Should I stick with the TQI for a little longer or switch to something else. If I should switch, any ideas? I've heard the Flysky GT-5 is pretty good.
    Fly Sky is a good and affordable brand, but maybe the stock TQi is better stuff, ¿what reference of TQi you have?

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Juanmacine View Post
    Fly Sky is a good and affordable brand, but maybe the stock TQi is better stuff, ¿what reference of TQi you have?
    What do you mean which reference? I have the one that came with the trx4. Thumb switch, three position top switch, and two knobs. If I wasn’t going to use it on just the trx4 the thumbs switch could be for a dig and the three pos. for a winch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Greatscott View Post
    What is your budget?

Personally, I like my DX5C and DX5R TXs, they work well, are easy to navigate and program, and they just work. I know a lot of people why like their Flysky radios, but I have seen a lot of them break as well. I don't care for how the GT-5 feels, it seems like if I squeeze too hard I'll break it.

What rig do you have?

Going to a different radio loses cruise control. Also, setting up locking diffs on one channel can be a challenge.
    I have the trx4 kit for a scale trail rig as well as a rustler 4x4 vxl and I'm thinking about getting a Capra or trx4 sport kit for my performance rig. The DX5C and DX5 Rugged look pretty good but the DX5R is discontinued and they all are a little out of my price range unless, are they a good value for the money and are they better than the TQI?

RC Champion
    What do you mean which reference? I have the one that came with the trx4. Thumb switch, three position top switch, and two knobs. If I wasn’t going to use it on just the trx4 the thumbs switch could be for a dig and the three pos. for a winch.

I understand, you have the full TQi TX, is a great stuff, but for control various rig, I don't know, try to probe it. If it binds with other RX, maybe can control the winchs and other stuff.

Radiolink RC6GS works very well, 6 channels, plenty (and I mean plenty) of custom settings. 80 dollars for radio and receiver. I have one myself. They came out with a v2 a few weeks back, which is supposed to have better ergonomics than the v1 (the one I own) and a few more changes. The only thing though is that the lockers take up both 3 way levers, so you're left without a way to control the winch, unless you link one of the lockers to the knob adjuster channel, which is what I do.

Link here:https://www.amazon.com/Radiolink-Tra.../dp/B07DPNNTWT
    Jumping: maneuver and pray it won't break.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by TITANIUM94010 View Post
    Radiolink RC6GS works very well, 6 channels, plenty (and I mean plenty) of custom settings. 80 dollars for radio and receiver. I have one myself. They came out with a v2 a few weeks back, which is supposed to have better ergonomics than the v1 (the one I own) and a few more changes. The only thing though is that the lockers take up both 3 way levers, so you're left without a way to control the winch, unless you link one of the lockers to the knob adjuster channel, which is what I do.

Link here:https://www.amazon.com/Radiolink-Tra.../dp/B07DPNNTWT
    That one seems pretty good too and at a good price. Can it bind to multiple receivers, can you get just the receiver and how’s the quality?

RC Competitor
    I use the flysky gt5 I like it. its a good budget upgrade

RC Champion
    That one seems pretty good too and at a good price. Can it bind to multiple receivers, can you get just the receiver and how’s the quality?

Of course, you can buy RX for separately.

7 channel:
    https://www.amazon.com/Radiolink-Rec...s%2C293&sr=8-3

6 channel:
    https://www.amazon.com/Radiolink-Rec...%2C293&sr=8-14

And the majority of TX can bind with multiple RX.

Accepting requests for bashing at GREENWOOD BASHPLEX in Pittsburgh PA!! Check the thread in the track buddy forum and reply there or pm
    https://www.hobbyporter.com/hobby-po...ode_p1410.html

I guess I'll do a review of my 2 month old unit.

Hobby Porter hp007. 50$
    7 channels
    15 model memory
    11$ waterproof receivers same size as TRX receivers
    4 wheel steering options
    Gyro system
    Cruise control
    Fail safe
    D/R
    ABS
    EPA
    EXP
    Easy lipo conversion is plug and play
    Flashlight in tx
    Temp probe for checking motor temps
    2 and 3s voltage checker

Been using it for 2 months now. Probably about 20 hours wheel time. The 4 duracells I put in are still at 5.4v. I use it as a flashlight ALOT. I keep it on my night stand and use it most nights(long journey to my toilet lol)

It has a 2" blue backlit screen that can be seen in sunlight. The menu system works off of a wheel selector that you spin then depress to select options. The menus flow nicely, and I got ahold of programming very quickly. The handset feels solid and balanced. My big hands fit fine, and it is easier to drive one handed compared to my stock trx6 radio when I'm trying to keep up with the truck out on the trails. The foam wheel feels good with average tension. Trigger feels good and very slow crawling is a breeze. All of the channel switches and dials are easy to reach and work great except ch3. The 3rd channel 2 position switch is a push on, push off type on the radios handle. It's small and recessed. I really REALLY dislike this switch as it is so small (last pic) and hard to depress my thumb into the thin vertical recess to click down the button. I miss my shift 90% of the time, have to reposition my left hand, and really work at it to click the button. So annoying... To be fair my hand is large, but I don't see this button being easy for anyone. I'm gonna glue a small piece of plastic onto the recessed button to raise it out of the recess. This should solve the problem. If that's all I need to do to fix the issue then it's not a big deal I guess, but it's a pain for sure. This is my only gripe.

The receivers are waterproof, and cost 10-12$. I put one in my slash street dragger. Gyro works well, but like most gyros, keep it at 50% or less, or the steering may act a little twerky. The antenna is a bit shorter than the TRX antenna. Binding an rx is as easy as pushing a button. I range tested till I couldn't see my truck. The range is far.

The flashlight, lipo checker and the motor temp probe are not available on any other radio that I'm aware of. I use them way more than I thought I would have.

If your looking for a low price, and many channel's, I don't see a better value out there.

The 6ch radiolink mentioned above is slightly more advanced due to having servo mixing options. It may be a bit "better" because of this. I still think the hobbyporter is a better value because of the unique features and extra channel for 60% of the price. I'm not sure if the radiolink has waterproof receivers, or how much they cost. It definitely gives me piece of mind submerging my 6x6 in water over the hood and bed lol.

I ordered mine from bangood. It was 54$ shipped. Took 2 weeks to arrive to east coast from China.

Well that's my review hope this helps!

Pic 1... Flashlight
    Pic 2... Display
    Pic 3... 2s and 3s batt checker port, and temp probe port.
    Pic 4... Temp probe and lipo/dry cell plug.
    Pic 5... The despised button lol

Sent from my moto e5 cruise using Tapatalk
    Ya can't polish fertilizer...

RC Enthusiast
    My go to radios is a DX4R Pro, but for my TRX6 I needed 6 channels. I went with the RadioLink RC6GS and an 8 channel RX. It is not a bad radio for the money.

If you read all the unbiased reviews, they have the same complaint. You cannot have an unbiased review when a Manufacturer is giving you product.
    1) The radio is big. It is the same chassis as my DX4R Pro with some minor cosmetic changes.
    2) The antenna. I agree, it is a bad antenna design. When I break it I will order a RP SMA connector with pigtail and solder it to the board, than add a stubby antenna. Honestly if you want this radio for a boat or go fast it make sense. I personally only need 100ft for my crawlers.
    3) It has 6 batteries. It actually weighs 2 ozs less than my DX4R Pro.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by rag6 View Post

Hobby Porter hp007. 50$
    7 channels
    15 model memory
    4 wheel steering options
    Gyro system
    Cruise control
    Fail safe
    D/R
    ABS
    EPA
    EXP
    Flashlight in tx
    2 and 3s voltage checker

Been using it for 2 months now. Probably about 20 hours wheel time. The 4 duracells I put in are still at 5.4v. I use it as a flashlight ALOT. I keep it on my night stand and use it most nights(long journey to my toilet lol)

It has a 2" blue backlit screen that can be seen in sunlight. The menu system works off of a wheel selector that you spin then depress to select options. The menus flow nicely, and I got ahold of programming very quickly. The handset feels solid and balanced. My big hands fit fine, and it is easier to drive one handed compared to my stock trx6 radio when I'm trying to keep up with the truck out on the trails. The foam wheel feels good with average tension. Trigger feels good and very slow crawling is a breeze. All of the channel switches and dials are easy to reach and work great except ch3. The 3rd channel 2 position switch is a push on, push off type on the radios handle. It's small and recessed. I really REALLY dislike this switch as it is so small (last pic) and hard to depress my thumb into the thin vertical recess to click down the button. I miss my shift 90% of the time, have to reposition my left hand, and really work at it to click the button. So annoying... To be fair my hand is large, but I don't see this button being easy for anyone. I'm gonna glue a small piece of plastic onto the recessed button to raise it out of the recess. This should solve the problem. If that's all I need to do to fix the issue then it's not a big deal I guess, but it's a pain for sure. This is my only gripe.

The receivers are waterproof, and cost 10-12$. I put one in my slash street dragger. Gyro works well, but like most gyros, keep it at 50% or less, or the steering may act a little twerky. The antenna is a bit shorter than the TRX antenna. Binding an rx is as easy as pushing a button. I range tested till I couldn't see my truck. The range is far.

The flashlight, lipo checker and the motor temp probe are not available on any other radio that I'm aware of. I use them way more than I thought I would have.

If your looking for a low price, and many channel's, I don't see a better value out there.

The 6ch radiolink mentioned above is slightly more advanced due to having servo mixing options. It may be a bit "better" because of this. I still think the hobbyporter is a better value because of the unique features and extra channel for 60% of the price. I'm not sure if the radiolink has waterproof receivers, or how much they cost. It definitely gives me piece of mind submerging my 6x6 in water over the hood and bed lol.

I ordered mine from bangood. It was 54$ shipped. Took 2 weeks to arrive to east coast from China.

Pic 1... Flashlight
    Pic 2... Display

Looks very interesting.

WOW!!!

That is a whole lot of not bad right there!!! $12 per 7ch RX, that is awesome!!!! If I were looking at changing radio systems, this one just might be the one I would go to. At that price I would buy two radios and five or six RXs.

Keep us posted on how this system is working for you!
    Submarine Qualified, Chief Inducted, Navy Retired

Accepting requests for bashing at GREENWOOD BASHPLEX in Pittsburgh PA!! Check the thread in the track buddy forum and reply there or pm
    So far it's been working great. I was a little bummed out when I found out there was no servo mixing. Like I said that third channel button is horrible. Other than that it's been amazing

RC Competitor

Hobby Porter hp007. 50$
    7 channels
    15 model memory
    4 wheel steering options
    Gyro system
    Cruise control
    Fail safe
    D/R
    ABS
    EPA
    EXP
    Flashlight in tx
    2 and 3s voltage checker

Pic 1... Flashlight
    Pic 2... Display

Wow that looks really good! I like the lipo checker. Have you tested the revivers under water yet?

It was inside my waterproof rx box.

RC Competitor
    How many volts can the receiver take?

RC Competitor
    nevermind. thanks for your help!

RC Champion
    How many volts can the receiver take?
    8,4 volts, mate.

Quote Originally Posted by Juanmacine View Post
    8,4 volts, mate.
    I think its 7.4
    Jumping: maneuver and pray it won't break.

RC Competitor
    I think its 7.4
    I checked. I think it’s 8.4 but 7.4 is the most I need

RC Champion
    I think its 7.4
    In the specs shows 8,4 volts.

Is that for the radiolink?

RC Competitor
    The hobby porter

Wow didn't know my rx's could do 8.4. sweet!

RC Champion
    Is that for the radiolink?

The Radiolink RX has a limit of 10 volts.