RC poster

Ruined motor - Need upgrade advice

Hey guys,

I just recently found out that you have to clean the inside of the xmaxx motor every now and then and it's been almost a year since I've had it and I'm pretty certain it's a gonner so it sucks to have to learn this lesson, but anyways I'm looking for something with about the same power, maybe a little more. It came with a 1275kv one and I'm running 18/54 gearing.

It came with a VXL-8s ESC. I'm not sure if I'm going to need to upgrade that as well or if I can get away with just replacing the motor and maybe get a motor mount too.

Any recommended setups? Just looking to see what most people are running these days.

I don't think you have to clean the inside of the motor.

Depending on what conditions you run at. Beach. You may want to clean the salt sand out of it. But the cleaners tend to eat the grease in the bearings...

If my bearings for motor are exposed in particular the back. I'll cover with a peice of duct tape to prolong bearings life.

If motor runs over 200° f. For a long time that will destroy motor more than anything.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

RC poster
    This is what it looks like so I'm not sure if this is salvageable or not.

https://imgur.com/a/IljEBu3#1YTMqNa

To be honest it looks like a good cleaning and new bearings would go a long ways with that motor. I wouldnt fo buying new stuff just yet. If you can, but some electronics cleaner and air in a can. Or any pressurized air would work.

First pick anything out you can without removing the bearings. Use a tooth pick or cotton swab or old tooth brush or something or that nature. Now blow out all the loose crap. Repeat that again.

Then once its fairly clean, use the pressurized air to blow everything out. Then use the electronics cleaner and spray everything out.

Let it dry and blow it out some more and remove anything else thats stuck in there.

Now you should remove the bearings and clean whatever is left. Make sure its all nice and dry. Replace those bearings and put it all back together and im sure that motor would be okay.

Unless it burnt out which is what led you to look. You didn't really say why you took it apart.

Sent from my LGL722DL using Tapatalk

RC poster
    It was acting as if the truck was having a harder time than usual. Sounded like the motor was struggling. Looking back, I don't know why I didn't look this up sooner. For some reason I just thought the whole thing was self contained and you couldn't crack it open.

I had literally taken apart the front and back end multiple times just to make sure I didn't forget a bearing or something like that. I've already cleaned up the black outside housing part (sorry don't know what you call it), but what concerns me is the piece that broke off on the inner shaft. I don't know the name for it either, but it's the 3rd pic I included. I have my doubts that I'll still be able to use this because of that broken piece. Might just be safer to go with a newer one.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by mooch37 View Post
    It was acting as if the truck was having a harder time than usual. Sounded like the motor was struggling. Looking back, I don't know why I didn't look this up sooner. For some reason I just thought the whole thing was self contained and you couldn't crack it open.

I had literally taken apart the front and back end multiple times just to make sure I didn't forget a bearing or something like that. I've already cleaned up the black outside housing part (sorry don't know what you call it), but what concerns me is the piece that broke off on the inner shaft. I don't know the name for it either, but it's the 3rd pic I included. I have my doubts that I'll still be able to use this because of that broken piece. Might just be safer to go with a newer one.
    How long ago did you buy your X-Maxx? The motor may still be covered under warranty.

Im sorry. I didnt realise that was a broken piece.. If it's broken you might need to replace it. But maybe clean it and try it. Did it break when you took it apart or?

Accepting requests for bashing at GREENWOOD BASHPLEX in Pittsburgh PA!! Check the thread in the track buddy forum and reply there or pm
    The discoloration makes me think heat issues. The crud makes me think it was left under water and not dried out. Just my opinion.

Sent from my moto e5 cruise using Tapatalk
    Ya can't polish fertilizer...

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by cgrant26 View Post
    How long ago did you buy your X-Maxx? The motor may still be covered under warranty.
    It was probably about a year ago. I'll call their support line this week to see if they can work with me on it, but my guess is that I'll just have to buy a new one.

What kind of motor/gear combo is everyone using? Just curious.

Quote Originally Posted by rag6 View Post
    The discoloration makes me think heat issues. The crud makes me think it was left under water and not dried out. Just my opinion.

Sent from my moto e5 cruise using Tapatalk
    The last time I ran it, I did notice a little smoke right at the very end. I turned it off immediately but wasn't sure where it was coming from. And yes, I've gotten it wet before but I always clean it off and blast it with an air compressor.
    Last edited by Double G; 08-31-2020 at 07:56 AM. Reason: merge

Sorry to say Your motor is toast.

On your 3rd pic. Of the rotor with the yellow wrapping. It should be like that for the whole thing. Not just half of it, and then looks like it's missing a chunk of magnets as well.

The junk in there is what's left over from the kevlar yellow wrapping shredding itself.

If your able to find a new rotor you may be ok. Along with replacing bearings. But Traxxas doesn't make that motor serviceable.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Acidic01; 08-30-2020 at 11:45 PM.

Leopard makes a 1100kv motor that will do a good job for you. Make sure, though, that you get the RED one with the SLIVER rings around it. The all RED Leopard 1100kv motor (no SILVER rings) is for boats.
    Life's to short to be a sour puss.

RC Champion
    Mate, it's time to made a good mod, Hobbywing Max6 or Max5 and a good 56 series diameter motor, you can choose the KV you want in the range of 700KV to 1100KV, depending on the performance you want.

RC Racer
    He will need a motor mount and gears for that. And a few other things. @regularguy

Yeah, motors been toasted. Max 6 or 5 combo will do pretty well like Juanmacine said. Although you will need new gearing depending on what kv/size motor you choose

從我的iPhone使用Tapatalk 發送
    Jumping: maneuver and pray it won't break.

RC Racer
    If it's not under warranty, Jennys RC has had a pretty regular stream of X-Maxx parts over the past month or so. If you watch it, you should be able to snag a new 8S Velineon take-off motor for ~$110.

That said, I'd probably personally use it as an excuse to upgrade to a Hobbywing ESC and a Castle motor.

As for what gearing everyone is running, here's mine:

Stock Velineon ESC and motor
    GDS 46T Mod 1 spur
    Tekno 19T Mod 1 pinion

It's a pretty good balance of power and top speed. On stock wheels the truck gets a bit unstable at speed when they balloon up so I'd also recommend belted wheels.
    Last edited by cgrant26; 09-01-2020 at 12:37 AM.

I look at jennysrc all the time. Thats where i got my tq and receiver. It was from an xmaxx so now ive got tsm amd a bunch of extra ports

RC Racer
    Agreed, Jenny RC chop shop is a great place. I get parts there all the time. Nice discounts.

As a matter of fact, my buddy just last week seized up his X Maxx motor just like here, ordered one from Jenny’s RC, came in 3 days.

Runs like new, not an issue.

https://jennysrc.com/collections/traxxas-x-maxx-74076

Yes jennysrc is quick for sure. Id look as soon as possible. I believe ive seen them from the 1100 to 1700 range for xmaxx

RC Champion
    I purchase to JennysRC an amount of times, very fast service, affordable prices and new stuff for less money.

Yes. Everything. They tear down models and sell parts individually.

Everyrhing from the screws and pins to tires to shocks and chassis, batteries, any electronics, telemetry stuff. Anything that comes on a truck, they will have it. Unless its been bought obviously haha.