RC Racer

Old T-Maxx 3.3 Rebuild

About to get started on this. This truck belonged to a buddy who passed away 10 years ago. Sat at my house for years, accidentally ended up in a tub in my garage when I was having work done to the house. When I moved about 2.5 years ago I found it. That accounts for its current condition. I actually fired it up about a year ago to see if it would run. Radio was shot so I put it on an old M8 and it fired right up, ran great till it broke a clutch spring. Decided to just drop a new 3.3 in for the rebuild. Afraid the RC Solutions cage is going to have to stay. You ever heard an excited we'll use the PC term "Cajun"? He was so excited when he got that cage I could barely understand him on the phone. Don't have the heart to remove it LOL. I'm guessing he bought this truck in 2008 or 2009. It has reverse, but no Optidrive, so wherever that puts it.

[IMG]20200826_081532 by Critter, on Flickr[/IMG]

Looking forward to the rebuild. Nice tires. I like the Badlands as they work great, lots of traction.

Old T-Maxx 3.3 Rebuild

Looking for forward to this as well. I second badlands. Theyíre a great off road tire.

Sorry to hear about your friend. It will be a great way to honor them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RC Qualifier
    Looking forward to the progress!

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

RC Racer
    Thanks for the kind words. He’ll be smiling down on it when it’s done I’m sure. Are y’all running the stock clutch? Used a similar clutch in 1/10 scale vehicles for years and I’m wondering about its durability in these big heavy vehicles. The spring on this one stretched in a way I’ve never seen. Didn’t break, looked like a dang Slinky. Thinking about a 3 shoe setup on this and the Revo. Anyone tried one? Should certainly give more tuning options.

Iím still running all factory on mine. But I did just buy it about two weeks ago brand new.

With that said on the nitros Iíve had in the past. Iíve never had any issues with factory traxxas clutches.

RC Racer
    Being able to change clutch setup is such a great tuning aid. Different springs change the RPM at which the shoes engage. And on a 4-shoe clutch like I run in 1/8 you can run all carbon, 2 carbon/2 Al, 4 Al, different hardness of Al to change how much slip you get. For what I'm going to do with this Revo clutch tuning won't matter much, I'm mostly looking for longevity. If you're going to make a race Revo would definitely be worth looking at. 4 shoe would be primo but I don't think I've ever seen one for Traxxas.

I got ya. I have never really played around with clutch setups. Iíve always just ran factory and only had one clutch failure. Replaced with factory and never had another issue.

With that said I am thinking about changing some thing on the Tmaxx. Want more low end and more grabbing power. It will purely be a bashing truck.

RC poster
    Sorry to hear about your buddy. This build will have some good meaning. I am reviving my first gen T-Maxx as well. I took out the .15 and dropped in a Picco Max .26 and the thing rips! Good luck with your build! Keep us updated.

RC Racer
    Right now it looks just like it did last weekend in the pic LOL. 55+ hour work weeks are eating me up. Hoping to get rebuilt and broken in this weekend. If I put on ribs or brisket then I can work on the car under guise of watching temps ! We will see.

Have fun making dinner.

RC Racer
    First surprise below. Looks like an adapter to run 17mm hexes. Solid roll pin, but the hexes are loose, no set screw. Note that the nut has a small inner flange so it sits inside the hole in the 17mm wheel. Anyone ever seen something like this or is it something my buddy came up with himself? The nut isn't metric, takes a 5/16" wrench to remove. I assume I can go to the Traxxas 17mm adapters? Also, what are good diff oil weights F&R? Thanks.

20200907_185848 by Critter, on Flickr

RC Racer
    There are of course 10,000 different versions of the T-maxx. Trying to figure out which this is mostly for the transmission. This was a 3.3 truck that came with reverse, you can see the output shaft for the shift fork. I believe it also had Optidrive because there's a rubber or plastic plug in the Rx box where the Optidrive would sit.He bought it probably 2008 or 2009, but I never saw the original radio because I think he had the LHS install a Spektrum with telemetry before he ever brought it home. Wheelbase on this truck is 13.25" so I assume all the sliders, arms, etc. for the current model fit this one. Also guessing this one has grease-filled diffs rather than sealed but we'll see when I pull it apart. If anyone can tell me what I'm dealing with so I can hunt for the exploded views it would be much appreciated.

Edit: Wondering if maybe he just added the reverse kit to this truck? Does the T-maxx Classic use the same Rx box and that's why there's a cut out for Optidrive?

[IMG]20200908_074858 by Critter, on Flickr[/IMG]
    Last edited by cjtamu-redux; 09-08-2020 at 08:48 AM.

Go to the Support button above and search for 4908. It will get you pretty close as those axle carriers look like Revo-spec and the transmission is probably Revo-spec as well - probably added reverse later but did not install the Opti-Drive.
    The Super Derecho

The wheel-nut-flange washer? Looks to be part of the wheel setup. You can swap over to the Traxxas 17mm hex setup if you wanted without issue.

Grey transmissions were with the 3.3 engines. Reverse could be added without the opti-drive module. I'm sure your diffs are the sealed w/oil type if purchased in 2008. Any parts for the current T-maxx 3.3 will fit.

How is the brake disc held on?
    If it has a blue hex in the middle if it that would make it a model#4909. This one had grease diffs.
    If it has two pins on the driveshaft holding it on it would be model#4908. This one had sealed diffs.
    Last edited by grizzly03; 09-08-2020 at 09:29 AM. Reason: how to tell difference

RC Racer
    Thanks DG and Grizz. That's what I needed. Brake disc has 2 pins on F driveshaft just like the Revo.

Deconstruction well underway. One of the nice hidden perks of working from home these days. Lunch and my RC cars are all in the same building ha ha.

20200908_115651 by Critter, on Flickr

I have no words for this wire routing. This was not me LOL.

20200908_113624 by Critter, on Flickr

RC Racer
    Nice little mess in here. Combination of dried grease and stripped reverse gear. Cleaned up well, new bearings installed, but I don't have a spare gear. I know it's the sacrifice gear but I wish they'd made it a little wider so it didn't sacrifice itself quite so often! Or at least sell the reverse gear as a separate so you don't end up with other parts you don't need. Probably not the first person to wish that.

20200908_183937 by Critter, on Flickr

Looks like youíll have a nice running truck when itís completed. Nothing like going through everything and tinkering. Iím guilty of loving to tinker...even when tinkering isnít needed

I know what you mean with working from home. Iím doing the same a few days a week and use my ďlunchĒ to tinker and run the trucks around the yard.

RC Qualifier
    Love to inker lol. I've been working from home since 2014. Nice ha I ng the extra time to fast around or nap lol.
    Love the wire job lol

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

RC Racer
    Real progress made this weekend. Between working out of town yesterday and yard work for a good bit of today ha! Will get a few pics up tonight or tomorrow. Question. The bearing kit I bought had a pair of 5 x 8 x 2.5 mm bearing to replace the plastic bushings on the steering bellcrank post. Went to slip them on and they are a TIGHT fit. Was worried I’d destroy the bearings trying to get them on the post they were so tight. Anyone else run into this?

RC Racer
    As it sits

[IMG]20200913_104457 by Critter, on Flickr[/IMG]

No more rat's next

[IMG]20200913_104829 by Critter, on Flickr[/IMG]

Swapped to the Traxxas wheel adapters, much better system than what was on it. Need to pick up a few parts. Found a broken lower front hinge pin, and figuring out how I'm going to strengthen the servo saver spring a little. He had part of a second spring jammed in there. Might now have been the best system.

RC Racer
    After checking several other things I got smart and micd the posts. Servo saver post and most of the bellcrank post measured 4.95 mm or so. But the top couple mm of the bellcrank post measured 5.01 mm. Anodizing too thick I think. Sanded a little off and the bearings slid right on. Just in case anyone else ever runs into that. First time I’ve ever seen it.

RC Racer
    Time to install the new engine and rebuild shocks. Does anyone know who made this sway bar setup? Couldn't find anything like it in a quick Google search.

[IMG]20200916_074239 by Critter, on Flickr[/IMG]

RC Racer
    Well, here's how it's looked since Thursday. Beta has been unkind to my schedule. Re-adjusted my Friday schedule and did field work all day Saturday as well because unlikely any is getting done this coming week. Then spent the rest of yesterday and a good part of today making sure yard and house were ready, generator ready, etc. just in case. Hopefully we don't get too much from it, but we'll see. if we don't I'll have this thing ready to run in a day or two. Supposed to stop raining here Thursday or Friday ha ha!

[IMG]20200917_204247 by Critter, on Flickr[/IMG]

RC Racer
    [IMG]20200922_094649 by Critter, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]20200922_094740 by Critter, on Flickr[/IMG]

All dressed up and nowhere to go! Weirdest tropical storm ever. We got just over 6" in 3 days. Got double that in places more than 100 miles from landfall. Too wet to run this here right now but should be able to break it in this weekend. Decided not to put the roll cage back on. Limits what bodies you can run and you have to hack them up to use it. Puts a bunch of weight up high and is a real pain to remove if you need to work on anything. Have to go pick up new body posts to mount the EZ Start connection because it was mounted to the roll cage.

Truck was rebuilt from the ground up, including the EZ Start. Was able to use most of the original parts. Put a brand new 3.3 in it since the other inadvertently sat in my garage so long. Replaced the tires and wheels as well, the Badlands had started to dry rot. Went to the progressive springs and aluminum caps. He had 4 black springs on it that were so stiff it was at almost full down travel just sitting on the ground. Front skid plate replaced. Added a switch and cleaned up the wiring. Shimmed up the servo saver. Replaced stripped reverse gear. Replaced cracked wheelie bar and added the Al wheels just for grins. New bearings throughout truck, including now having bearings on the steering bellcrank. Replaced the exisintg 17mm hub conversation with the Traxxas splined one, much nicer. Really happy with how it came out, can't wait to fire it up. Believe my friend is very pleased if he's looking it it.

Couple minor things to tweak. Steering doesn't come back to center when turned right. Not sure yet what's binding. Also can't get front ride height to sliders level. They sit just a hair above with nothing but the spring retainers on. Top hole at "A" position and bottom at "2". I thought I could get the ride height a little lower in front, wondering if maybe I need to build the shocks with less than 1/2 rebound? If anyone knows please let me know.

Does anyone know how to remove the Loctite from the Traxxas 17mm hub conversion? I can't put the thing on my setup station because I can't snug the wheel nut up. Not enough room to hold the hex with a wrench. Thanks.

RC Racer
    Broke engine in yesterday, tuned it today. My videographer was working in her garden today and not willing to shoot a whole tank's worth of video so a lot of fun stuff didn't get caught. Including me flipping it over backwards while showing her how it would power wheelie. Guess I need to reinstall the wheelie bar before I do that next time. Just the video below to prove it runs. Was really surprised by the handling, much better than I expected. The progressive springs are much better than what was on it before. Supposed to go play next weekend, will see if I can get a little video of it in action.

20200927_133736 by Critter, on Flickr

Traxxas Marshal
    Looks like you had a good time rebuilding and getting your friend's old truck up and running! Great to see!
    "Happiness depends upon ourselves." -Aristotle

RC Racer
    Thank you, I did. Just need to pick out a new body, paint it and get his name on the passenger door and we’re done. Well, done as you get with an RC car anyway ha ha ha.

Traxxas Marshal
    LOL, indeed. "Done" and "R/C car" rarely belong in the same sentence!
    "Happiness depends upon ourselves." -Aristotle

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by cooleocool View Post
    LOL, indeed. "Done" and "R/C car" rarely belong in the same sentence!
    And in keeping with that theme, M2C clutches for the T-maxx and Revo are on the way.