Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Broken Axle Thread

I've decided that ive broken so many axles, that is like to make a thread dedicated to they're sad broken souls.

Im going to take a picture every time I break an axle, and tell a small story to explain what I think may have happened.

Im going to post a picture or two of my truck and after that will be broken axles.

I hope anybody and everybody can participate cause i think itll be fun.

Sent from my LGL722DL using Tapatalk

RC Champion
    I'm in.

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk

My first broken axle. Happened at the beach in the harder packed sand. My tires hadnt had many miles on them and were quite grabby. This was before i adjusted my slipper.

RC Champion
    This happened with my Slash 4x4 MaX-D conversion monster truck. I landed wonky off of a jump, and the next thing I know the tire goes rolling across the ground just like in Monster Jam. I just laughed. It was awesome!

Fast forward 3 months..

Ive broken 3 or 4 at the same spot on either side. Also a couple at the hub side.

This was today about a half hour ago. I just got the hot racing sealed diff installed a few days ago and replaced the oil with 100,000wt. I was bashing around the yard having fun with all the extra wheelies and trying to turn and seeing the diff action work..

I spun around at a high speed and what i think happened, was I may have been in the throttle and the tires hit the ground, stopping abruptly, and braking off an ear on the diff side.

Quote Originally Posted by MaXDee View Post
    This happened with my Slash 4x4 MaX-D conversion monster truck. I landed wonky off of a jump, and the next thing I know the tire goes rolling across the ground just like in Monster Jam. I just laughed. It was awesome!

Hahaha wow. That's quite a piece of metal to just shear off. That's awesome.

These trucks are so much fun.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Calebs0615 View Post
    Hahaha wow. That's quite a piece of metal to just shear off. That's awesome.

These trucks are so much fun.

Yeah, the hex adapters are aluminum and the wheels and tires are heavy. That's a lot of kinetic Force coming down on that small little stub axle. I figured it was bound to break eventually. I drive that truck like Tom Meents drives the 1:1 version, reckless abandon! LOL

RC Champion
    Fast forward 3 months..

Ive broken 3 or 4 at the same spot on either side. Also a couple at the hub side.

This was today about a half hour ago. I just got the hot racing sealed diff installed a few days ago and replaced the oil with 100,000wt. I was bashing around the yard having fun with all the extra wheelies and trying to turn and seeing the diff action work..

I spun around at a high speed and what i think happened, was I may have been in the throttle and the tires hit the ground, stopping abruptly, and braking off an ear on the diff side.

They make metal versions of those output yokes. I put them on my 2wd Slash , and they've worked out great

I feel like thats why im breaking axles too. Those big heavy tires.. Oh well. Its too much fun not to fix it and break it again.

And really... I might look into those haha. Ill have to fit the u joints in there myself right?

Last edited by Calebs0615; 08-31-2020 at 02:05 PM.

4628x is the part number. This WILL be my next purchase for sure.

Yes, you'll need to use the u-joint tool that came with your truck. Found in the middle of the picture:

The Super Derecho

I knew it came with a u joint tool but never thought id need to use it. Or learn how to use it... Buy i like learning new things so here we go!

Last edited by Calebs0615; 08-31-2020 at 02:35 PM.

Here it be. Easy enough.

RC Champion
    That U-joint tool is a Godsend!

It is. I just popped a couple u joints out of old axles i had to make a new used one. Easy as pie.

RC Qualifier
    get the rustler 4x4 rear shafts , they work great , and get smaller lighter tires for sure , good luck

Well i wanted the monster truck look. So i bought the mx28s. Honestly i would've changed them by now but they were 100$ and the wear life is actually incredible. Ive been beshing hard with these tires for probably 3 or 4 months and they're barely wearing.

The stock bfgs that came on the truck, as soon as i switch the vxl3s and a 3s lipo, the rears were cooked in maybe a month.

I also buy the slash 4x4 axles cause they're a bit more beefy than the 2wd ones. But they still arent enough. Next time i might try a rustler 4x4 axle but im thinking the plastic shafts will always be a problem until i get a smaller tire.

I have hardened steel output yokes on the way so I'm thinking thatll help a bit.

RC Champion
    Stock axles used to fail nearly every run
    Now hot racing axles fall -stub axle failure at the pin
    Going to try Yeah racing axles next

Insta break slash ready to thrash again
    Last edited by CrazyXMAXX; 09-03-2020 at 08:18 PM.
    fabricator

I can do that. Ive got steel output yokes coming so im sure That'll help a lot.

RC Qualifier
    only place ive ever broken axles at is the point where the yoke is made to the stub axle because the metal prongs as I call them let loose, my solution was a diff yoke and drill out the stub axle to accept one of the screw in yoke pins.

Oh yeah, that's a good idea.

I have broken ears off the yokes, twisted the yokes until they broke, done the same with the splined part of the axle on the male and female parts. I've broken the stub side, and twisted those as well. I had a stick wear into one of the shafts so much that it broke in half one day too.

I've pretty much done it all when it comes to broken axles on my truck. All since the big mx28s.

RC Qualifier
    As an old saying in my 1:1 scale racing days "Race it break it fix it repeat it." always seems to apply in other places too.

RC Qualifier
    I was consistently breaking the plastic axles aswell. I almost bought both the hardened steel yokes and the hardened steel axle stubs, so only the slidy tubes would be plastic, but it was something like 20 for the yokes, 18 for the stubs, then 15 for a pack of the tubes (10 or 12 sets or so). So it would have been over 50, and I decided to just get the MIPs at that point. 20 bucks more and no more issues. Was well worth it. But since you've bought the yokes already, might be worth getting the axle stubs aswell, then you'll only have the replace the tubes (can't currently remember the proper name here). It'll give you a weak link which could easily be changed while out bashing.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Steve g View Post
    I was consistently breaking the plastic axles aswell. I almost bought both the hardened steel yokes and the hardened steel axle stubs, so only the slidy tubes would be plastic, but it was something like 20 for the yokes, 18 for the stubs, then 15 for a pack of the tubes (10 or 12 sets or so). So it would have been over 50, and I decided to just get the MIPs at that point. 20 bucks more and no more issues. Was well worth it. But since you've bought the yokes already, might be worth getting the axle stubs aswell, then you'll only have the replace the tubes (can't currently remember the proper name here). It'll give you a weak link which could easily be changed while out bashing.

I think that's a great idea. Thank you for that.

More often than not, my problem is the u joint spins out of the yoke on the diff end and twists it all to crap.

Broke another stub today.

Ive now geared my truck to 16/83. I was on the tar and gave it most of the throttle and it just spun.

Nows a good time to put on my steel output yokes.

You said its like 18$ for metal stub axles. Where can i find them? Do you happen to have a part number?

RC Qualifier
    It was 20. The yokes were 18. It's on ebay, no clue how to do links, hope the pic helps

It was 20. The yokes were 18. It's on ebay, no clue how to do links, hope the pic helps

Thank you very much.

I think this is the link for it (just typed the product words in ebay and it showed up):
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Upgrade-Har...-/261217525560

Hope this helps!
    Everyday's a gift, thus now is called the present.

I appreciate it Thanks again guys.

RC Champion
    I feel like thats why im breaking axles too. Those big heavy tires.. Oh well. Its too much fun not to fix it and break it again.

And really... I might look into those haha. Ill have to fit the u joints in there myself right?

How was your slipper clutch set? If it's too tight, that could be the reason for you breaking all of these drive shafts.

Its pretty loose. Im at about a quarter of a turn less then stock. I had it way too tight to begin with and i was breaking that slipper shaft pin. Thats when i loosened it to stock settings and it was still too tight.

Heres an update. I got my metal output yokes and metal stub axles. Hopefully this will help with some of my axle problems.

The black stubs are a nice touch too.

Well that was short lived lol. The first bashing a pin fell out that makes it easier to put it together. I didn't do it that way.. Nor did it tighten it..

Maybe i should have but i didnt really think of it honestly.

RC Qualifier
    lol Bash'er error

Quote Originally Posted by REAP3R View Post
    lol Bash'er error
    Yep. I dont have a metal detector either Ill go out and try to find it again tomorrow.

Eh i fixed it for now. I cut an allen wrench down to size and well see how long it lasts. Im still gonna try to find the other pin.

Im happy i looked at the other side cause it wasnt tight at all.

The hex key lasted not even a full bash session lol. I contacted the company i got them from and they offered me another set for 50% off. So i did that.

Well today i was doing a few donuts in the garage and smacked the rail that the door rides on and sheared the stub off.. The plastic ones never did that.. Ive definitely abused the original ones worse than that.

Im happy i have another set cause i can just use that one.

It broke right at the hole where that pin goes through. It also looks like its bent pretty good when i hold it together. I think when i hit that bar sideways, it bent the shaft and broke at the hole. The weakest point.

I have one more after the fresh one I just put in it. If it happens again ill wait for my new, lighter tires. I cant believe the problems I've had since these badlands.. Poor truck lol.

RC Champion
    Tekno M6 axles/hubs incoming- 17mm stub axles next
    Broken so many steel axles at the pin -mip -hot racing
    Running badlands 3s and 4s
    fabricator

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast