Results 1 to 17 of 17
  1. #1
    RC Qualifier Rico116's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2020
    Location
    South Florida
    Posts
    250

    Learning about tires and wheels

    Hows everyone's doing?

    I have been looking at wheels and tires for when I decide to upgrade and I need a proper explanation on what is what.

    Mounted vs Premounted
    Are these the same thing? As far as I know premounted is assembled for you ready to put on the rc. Is mounted the same thing.

    Hex adapters
    The hex is the hex usually inside the wheel the plastic that goes on the wheel hub. What would be a 8x32 to 17mm hex conversion?
    What is the 8x32 about is that something on the revo like the hub?

    But I also read that the wheel hubs are splined so does the type of hex for the wheel have to be splined too?

    I know 3.8 is the main measurement on how I'm supposed to be looking for the tires and wheels, but how would I look for this stuff?

    I also know when looking at the Talon EXT I see some three measurements how are these read on the tire ?

    Assuming building one yourself would probably be cheaper than buying pre-mounted.

    If anybody could clarify it be greatly appreciated?


    Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

  2. #2
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. olds97_lss's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Dekalb, IL
    Posts
    3,265
    Not sure about all your questions, but you can use standard 17mm hex wheels on revo splined hubs. They just aren't quite as strong of a connection.

    I'm not sure what "8x32" your referencing.
    https://www.youtube.com/c/olds97lss

  3. #3
    RC poster
    Join Date
    Aug 2020
    Location
    Louisville KY
    Posts
    3
    I'm kinda in the same boat as you. I'm new to this (1st post, too!) and this past Sunday I tore the outer sidewall of both right-side Talon EXTs that came with the E-Revo. The left side tires are fine. So I've been looking into tires and wheels. Here's what I know (and forgive me if you already know lots of this, but I'm going to go into detail for anyone who doesn't know much yet.):

    The Talon EXTs have a directional tread, meaning they need to be mounted in the correct orientation for the direction of forward rotation of the wheel. This can be seen by looking down on the E-Revo and seeing the tread at the middle of the tires looks like an arrow pointing forward. If you were to remove a wheel on the right and flip it over to put it on the left, the tread would point backwards.

    Tires, whether by themselves or already mounted on wheels, typically come in sets of two. I am planning on buying new tires pre-mounted on wheels, and I initially thought I'd just have to buy a pack of two. I then realized that when you buy them pre-mounted, they come with one mounted for the right side, and one mounted for the left side. In order to replace both right-side tires, I'd need to buy two sets of two, and have 2 left side tires sitting around. I suppose I could just unmount the left side tire and remount it for the right side, but doing so would essentially defeat the purpose of buying them pre-mounted.

    So, I decided if I'm going to be purchasing four wheels and tires, I might as well take this opportunity to switch to a tire without directional tread. I found that there are numerous tires that do not have directional tread, and two of the more popular Proline 3.8" aftermarket tires, the "Badlands" and "Trencher" tires, are non-directional. Both types receive good reviews and apparently work great on the E-Revo. I'd suggest looking into those two, and any other non-directional tires that are the correct specs.

    As for your specific questions:
    I believe mounted and pre-mounted mean the same thing - they've been glued on the wheels at the factory. Just buying the tires without the wheels is indeed cheaper. If cost is the primary concern, then that's the way to go. What you get for the extra money, of course, is brand new wheels and, more importantly to many people, not having to mess with getting your old tires off your old wheels, cleaning everything up, and messing with CA glue trying to get the new tires mounted correctly.

    The hex is the part of the wheel that fits up against/around the hex hub. On the E-Revo it's a 17mm splined hex hub, so wheels that are already made to fit a 17mm hex hub do not need an adapter or conversion to fit the E-Revo. Splined means that each of the 6 flat sides of the hex have a "notch" in the side. The 17mm aluminum nut holding your wheel on is an example of a splined hex. If the hex on the wheel is splined, then the hex hub must also be splined. However, the opposite is not true - a non-splined hex wheel will fit on a splined hex hub.

    I believe the 8x32 means the wheel is two parts - the center 17mm hex & the rest of the wheel - held together with 8 screws spaced 32mm across.

    That's all I know. Hope it helps!

  4. #4
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Aug 2020
    Location
    Bay City, TX
    Posts
    116
    Do you mean 8-32? That’s the axle diameter and thread count

  5. #5
    RC poster
    Join Date
    Aug 2020
    Location
    Louisville KY
    Posts
    3
    What the 8x32 he's referring to is a two-part wheel with 8 screws spaced 32mm across. Proline's new "Raid" wheels, that the Badlands or Trencher tires come mounted on, are two-part wheels with the 8x32 spec.
    Last edited by DaveKY; 09-01-2020 at 03:55 PM. Reason: Edited for Detail

  6. #6
    RC Champion grizzly03's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Adirondacks
    Posts
    2,113
    The 8x32 is Proline's new hex system.

    You beat me to it DaveKY.

  7. #7
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. olds97_lss's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Dekalb, IL
    Posts
    3,265
    Ah, the proline "take all your money" system. lol!

    From what I've read on those, the plastic adapters don't hold up well to heavy bashing, so you have to get the alloy adapters, which are $50 a pair just for the adapters. I suppose you could get the plastic ones and see if they hold up for you and hope when they fail that they don't take the rest of the wheel with it.

    https://www.prolineracing.com/access...x-adapters.asp

    I have a few sets of the old 3.8" trenchers that I run. They are zero offset, so not as wide on the revo as the talon ext's. They are also taller than the ext's. Contemplating switching back, but I do have to say, the extra width is nice for turning...
    https://www.youtube.com/c/olds97lss

  8. #8
    RC poster
    Join Date
    Aug 2020
    Location
    Louisville KY
    Posts
    3
    Hmmm. Thanks for the information. I had not heard that anywhere else. I was under the impression that Proline made quality parts.

  9. #9
    RC Qualifier Rico116's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2020
    Location
    South Florida
    Posts
    250
    Quote Originally Posted by olds97_lss View Post
    Not sure about all your questions, but you can use standard 17mm hex wheels on revo splined hubs. They just aren't quite as strong of a connection.

    I'm not sure what "8x32" your referencing.
    OK thank you.

    Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

  10. #10
    RC Qualifier Rico116's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2020
    Location
    South Florida
    Posts
    250
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveKY View Post
    I'm kinda in the same boat as you. I'm new to this (1st post, too!) and this past Sunday I tore the outer sidewall of both right-side Talon EXTs that came with the E-Revo. The left side tires are fine. So I've been looking into tires and wheels. Here's what I know (and forgive me if you already know lots of this, but I'm going to go into detail for anyone who doesn't know much yet.):

    The Talon EXTs have a directional tread, meaning they need to be mounted in the correct orientation for the direction of forward rotation of the wheel. This can be seen by looking down on the E-Revo and seeing the tread at the middle of the tires looks like an arrow pointing forward. If you were to remove a wheel on the right and flip it over to put it on the left, the tread would point backwards.

    Tires, whether by themselves or already mounted on wheels, typically come in sets of two. I am planning on buying new tires pre-mounted on wheels, and I initially thought I'd just have to buy a pack of two. I then realized that when you buy them pre-mounted, they come with one mounted for the right side, and one mounted for the left side. In order to replace both right-side tires, I'd need to buy two sets of two, and have 2 left side tires sitting around. I suppose I could just unmount the left side tire and remount it for the right side, but doing so would essentially defeat the purpose of buying them pre-mounted.

    So, I decided if I'm going to be purchasing four wheels and tires, I might as well take this opportunity to switch to a tire without directional tread. I found that there are numerous tires that do not have directional tread, and two of the more popular Proline 3.8" aftermarket tires, the "Badlands" and "Trencher" tires, are non-directional. Both types receive good reviews and apparently work great on the E-Revo. I'd suggest looking into those two, and any other non-directional tires that are the correct specs.

    As for your specific questions:
    I believe mounted and pre-mounted mean the same thing - they've been glued on the wheels at the factory. Just buying the tires without the wheels is indeed cheaper. If cost is the primary concern, then that's the way to go. What you get for the extra money, of course, is brand new wheels and, more importantly to many people, not having to mess with getting your old tires off your old wheels, cleaning everything up, and messing with CA glue trying to get the new tires mounted correctly.

    The hex is the part of the wheel that fits up against/around the hex hub. On the E-Revo it's a 17mm splined hex hub, so wheels that are already made to fit a 17mm hex hub do not need an adapter or conversion to fit the E-Revo. Splined means that each of the 6 flat sides of the hex have a "notch" in the side. The 17mm aluminum nut holding your wheel on is an example of a splined hex. If the hex on the wheel is splined, then the hex hub must also be splined. However, the opposite is not true - a non-splined hex wheel will fit on a splined hex hub.

    I believe the 8x32 means the wheel is two parts - the center 17mm hex & the rest of the wheel - held together with 8 screws spaced 32mm across.

    That's all I know. Hope it helps!
    OK thank you everything makes perfect sense. Clarifcation was much appreciated.

    Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

  11. #11
    RC Qualifier Rico116's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2020
    Location
    South Florida
    Posts
    250
    Quote Originally Posted by olds97_lss View Post
    Ah, the proline "take all your money" system. lol!

    From what I've read on those, the plastic adapters don't hold up well to heavy bashing, so you have to get the alloy adapters, which are $50 a pair just for the adapters. I suppose you could get the plastic ones and see if they hold up for you and hope when they fail that they don't take the rest of the wheel with it.

    https://www.prolineracing.com/access...x-adapters.asp

    I have a few sets of the old 3.8" trenchers that I run. They are zero offset, so not as wide on the revo as the talon ext's. They are also taller than the ext's. Contemplating switching back, but I do have to say, the extra width is nice for turning...
    Thanks, What is the zero offset is this something I should be paying attention to when selecting wheels. I also see hubs or something that hot racing makes with offset. I never understand does it extend how far your wheels stick out?

    Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

  12. #12
    RC Qualifier Rico116's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2020
    Location
    South Florida
    Posts
    250
    Also what would you guys recommend for tire selection favorite brands and specific models and for use.
    I'm open to different brands besides proline, much rather mount it myself

    I run mostly about equal on grass and road, asphalt

    Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

  13. #13
    RC Champion grizzly03's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Adirondacks
    Posts
    2,113
    Quote Originally Posted by olds97_lss View Post
    From what I've read on those, the plastic adapters don't hold up well to heavy bashing, so you have to get the alloy adapters, which are $50 a pair just for the adapters. I suppose you could get the plastic ones and see if they hold up for you and hope when they fail that they don't take the rest of the wheel with it.
    I have had good luck with any wheels that I have gotten from them in the past. I haven't tried the new style yet. Also I haven't read anything good or bad about them. I would think the plastic hexes would hold up the same as the original molded in plastic hex's. Haven't stripped a Pro-line hex yet. Also I don't see a difference between the alloy hex's (aluminum) or plastic hex's in regards to ruining a wheel. They both get screwed into the plastic wheel the same.

  14. #14
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Aug 2020
    Location
    Bay City, TX
    Posts
    116
    Quote Originally Posted by grizzly03 View Post
    The 8x32 is Proline's new hex system.

    You beat me to it DaveKY.

    Ahhh, so the hexes themselves are replaceable? Great idea if it works as intended. Nothing like spinning the hub on a new wheelset. Rico, zero offset means the hex is in-line with the outside face of the wheel. In a 1/2 offset the hex is in the middle of the wheel so it does indeed make the truck wider.

  15. #15
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Posts
    737
    Maybe this will clear up another part of the OP's question, RPM has a spline drive wheel/hex, I haven't tried them. You get the hexes in their Slash A arm packages sometimes, sort of a cloverleaf shape hex.

    Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk

  16. #16
    RC Champion grizzly03's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Adirondacks
    Posts
    2,113
    I'm thinking the spline hex has to do with how Traxxas hex's are, not RPM's. Traxxas's 17mm drive hex's are splined. They are keyed the same as the Traxxas wheels. You can use the Traxxas 17mm hex in any normal wheel hex. But in order to use traxxas's wheels you would either use the matching Traxxas splined hex or grind the nubs off.


  17. #17
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. olds97_lss's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Dekalb, IL
    Posts
    3,265
    Quote Originally Posted by grizzly03 View Post
    But in order to use traxxas's wheels you would either use the matching Traxxas splined hex or grind the nubs off.
    Cutting the nubs out of the wheels tends to make them a bit weaker. I've rounded out a few after doing that to run traxxas wheels/tires on other trucks.
    https://www.youtube.com/c/olds97lss

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •