RC poster

New Lipo break in questions

Hello, new here, and new to Lipo batteries. I just purchased a 2820x for my 1/16 Slash. I have the Traxxas lipo and the Traxxas easy peak plus charger. Is there a break in procedure for the batteries? The sheet states it could take up to 5 or more charge/discharge cycles for the battery to reach peak power. Taking the battery out of the box for the first time my plan is to balance charge the battery, and then run it, ensuring I have Low Voltage Detection mode on my esc. Is this plan accurate, charge 1st, then discharge to safe level, then balance charge again. I will keep running my slash letting the battery cool to ambient temps between charge/discharge cycles. Any input, Thanks in advance.

You got it. Thats pretty much it. Never fast charge. Always balance charge. Whenever you dont think your battery will be used for more than 2 or 3 consecutive days, leave it on storage mode. That wont hurt it.

As for a break in procedure, im not sure. I didnt do any special break in with mine. I use a smc 6800 3s lipo and when i got it in the mail, i balance charged it until it was full. And used it until low voltage kicked in. Thats what i do everytime.

Ill fully charge. Drive it until it hits low power. Might take a day or 2 or bashing. Then recharge on balance mode. NEVER USE FAST CHARGE. It charges fast enough on balance mode. Takes mine about 1 and a half to 2 hours to be full. If you're done using the truck and you think your done for a couple days or more, just set it to storage mode.

I dont discharge unless it happens that my battery is full when ive decided im not going to use it.

Sent from my LGL722DL using Tapatalk

RC poster
    Thanks Caleb, just the info I was looking for. Hooking it up to the charger now. :burnout:

Quote Originally Posted by Calebs0615 View Post
    You got it. Thats pretty much it. Never fast charge. Always balance charge. Whenever you dont think your battery will be used for more than 2 or 3 consecutive days, leave it on storage mode. That wont hurt it.

As for a break in procedure, im not sure. I didnt do any special break in with mine. I use a smc 6800 3s lipo and when i got it in the mail, i balance charged it until it was full. And used it until low voltage kicked in. Thats what i do everytime.

Ill fully charge. Drive it until it hits low power. Might take a day or 2 or bashing. Then recharge on balance mode. NEVER USE FAST CHARGE. It charges fast enough on balance mode. Takes mine about 1 and a half to 2 hours to be full. If you're done using the truck and you think your done for a couple days or more, just set it to storage mode.

I dont discharge unless it happens that my battery is full when ive decided im not going to use it.

Thanks Caleb, I will proceed with charging.
    Last edited by Double G; 09-01-2020 at 05:29 PM. Reason: merge

Yep, always balance charge and storage charge.

I never really did any break-in procedure, and it has been working perfectly (nearly 1 year).

I have the 5800 mah 2s LiPo on my Slash, and it lasts forever, so I just charge it up to storage everytime I charge it. lol
    Everyday's a gift, thus now is called the present.

Not a problem, thats why were here. And yeah my battery will last around 3 hours. I can get like 3 or 4 days of bashing out of it depending on how long i feel like beating it.

Or until it breaks...

RC poster
    Thanks RC Willy. Caleb, that was my next question how long I could run the lipo under all out power? Compared to my old nimh, the power is a lot. Rips around like crazy. I can’t imagine it with the velineon motor.

If you put the velineon motor in conjunction with the lipo battery you should hit 35 on stock gearing. Its much much quicker off the start too.

I have 16/86 in mine right now with monster tires and i can get about 25 out of it.

And the run time will be depending on your MaH. Mine is 6800 with 3s. I can get around 3 hours of pretty hard, fast bashing. Willy has a 5800 2s and im sure he can get a couple hours out of his.

Last edited by Calebs0615; 09-01-2020 at 07:27 PM.

RC poster
    Mine is a 2200 mah 2s. I think I will get the connector to run two lipos parallel before getting a brushless motor. I am not good enough at driving for the current speed levels I need to do some chassis upgrades as well. Maybe a wider set of wheels to increase the foot print. I flipped a few times. And dual batteries might lower the center of gravity just enough to help my driving.
    Last edited by RedRambler; 09-01-2020 at 08:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RedRambler View Post
    Mine is a 2200 mah 2s. I think I will get the connector to run two lipos parallel before getting a brushless motor. I am not good enough at driving for the current speed levels I need to do some chassis upgrades as well. Maybe a wider set of wheels to increase the foot print. I flipped a few times. And dual batteries might lower the center of gravity just enough to help my driving.
    PLEASE be careful when buying tires. Dont go bigger.. Biggest mistake i ever made. I was fighting broken slipper shaft pins at first cause i had initially tightened my slipper.. And getting into the tranny is a pain in the cheeks. Not hard.. Just time consuming. Then i was getting way too hot cause i had to gear up so i wouldnt break axles. So i geared back down and was breaking axles even more! So i loosened my slipper half a turn from stock and here we are. Breaking axles and twisting yokes still. Not as often. But still happens on occasion.

I literally made a thread dedicated to broken axles than i encourage people to participate in...

So please consider staying stock tire size unless you want to run into issues.

Maybe this happened to me cause of the 3s power. I dont know.. Maybe somebody else can enlighten us with 2s knowledge.. I went from the 3800mah 7cell NiMh battery to a LiPo cause I was inexperienced and just felt like i needed to be really fast.

This is probably the safest way for you to extend your track without adding too much weight. Weight is the enemy on these electric rigs.

If you use the included rims, you'll be back at stock width. This claims to extend track by 10mm. Check it out

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Calebs0615 View Post
    This is probably the safest way for you to extend your track without adding too much weight. Weight is the enemy on these electric rigs.

If you use the included rims, you'll be back at stock width. This claims to extend track by 10mm. Check it out

Thanks for the advice, I do appreciate it and would rather learn from your mistakes. I wonít be going wider on the wheels. I will look into the kit though. Will that work with a slash 4x4 1/16? Since it is listed as 2WD slash.

I dont think so. I apologize..

You should make a new thread in the 16th truck section about widening your track and tires and such

RC poster
    Yep, I might just go ahead and do that! Thanks.