RC Enthusiast

Ran my UDR for the first time this weekend and brake lights stopped working...

Any thoughts? Suggestions? No heaving bashing or anything. I guess Iíll open her up when I get the chance later.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Before you order any new parts, unplug everything (the lights), and plug them back in, sometimes the vibration from the car wiggles things loose.

Also, is the whole rear light bar out, or only the brake lights? (Are the Amber lights on?) If the amber lights are on, but the brake lights don't work, then there may be something wrong with the light module controller thing (forgot what it's called lol). There rarely should be any problems with the lights themselves, as it usually is caused by connection issues (like a broken solder joint or something).
    Everyday's a gift, thus now is called the present.

RC Qualifier
    And Traxxas is pretty good about warranty issues.

If you bought it new, and something is broken, contact Traxxas Support. They'll probably solve your problem.

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by RCWilly View Post
    Before you order any new parts, unplug everything (the lights), and plug them back in, sometimes the vibration from the car wiggles things loose.

Also, is the whole rear light bar out, or only the brake lights? (Are the Amber lights on?) If the amber lights are on, but the brake lights don't work, then there may be something wrong with the light module controller thing (forgot what it's called lol). There rarely should be any problems with the lights themselves, as it usually is caused by connection issues (like a broken solder joint or something).
    Good info. Thank you.

The amber lights stay on, but brake lights donít engage when I stop. Iíll try unplugging/plugging all the wires to see if thatís the problem, which I hope it is. But if itís not that, hopefully Traxxas will cover it.

RC Enthusiast

This was unplugged. Plugged it back in but still no brake up lights. However, the red lights stay on when the day/night lights are on.

I'm pretty sure the red lights are only supposed to be on when the car brakes, so there could be something wrong with the controller module.

I don't have one so I may be wrong, but isn't the brake lights feature controllable on the Link App (channel 6)?

https://traxxas.com/sites/default/fi...2%20-%20EN.pdf

Good luck!
    Creativity is intelligence having fun. -Einstein

RC Enthusiast
    Noticed this - looks like a contact point may be missing?

There should be a metal pin inside for each of the wires. What are the wires connected to?

RC Enthusiast
    There should be a metal pin inside for each of the wires. What are the wires connected to?
    It looks like one pin is missing or broke off.

By the 2 pictures you posted, it looks like there is only 1 wire running in/out of that connector.
    Can't really tell...

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Squeegie View Post
    By the 2 pictures you posted, it looks like there is only 1 wire running in/out of that connector.
    Can't really tell...
    Let me check again.

RC Enthusiast
    Can't really tell...
    So it does look like one wire going in/going out.

RC Enthusiast
    Mine operates as follows, if the front lights (white) are on in either high beam or low beam, then I have low red and amber lights out back. When I brake the red lights get brighter. When the white lights are off, only amber on in the rear until I brake, then high reds come on. Hope this helps

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Light1984 View Post
    Mine operates as follows, if the front lights (white) are on in either high beam or low beam, then I have low red and amber lights out back. When I brake the red lights get brighter. When the white lights are off, only amber on in the rear until I brake, then high reds come on. Hope this helps
    So my red lights stay on when the low/High beams are on, but do not get brighter when I brake. When I the headlights are off, my amber lights stay on and the brake lights do not engage when I brake.

Do you know if I move the connectors on the amplifier (from 3 to 4 and 4 to 3), I wonít damage anything? Or fry anything...

RC Qualifier
    Well, internet troubleshooting at its best here, but it sounds like your red lights aren't getting communication from the ESC.

It sounds like the red lights work, so it's not the bar. But the ESC, or whatever tells the light bar that the truck is braking, isn't talking to the light bar.

Start examining those connections if you can find them. Good luck!

Manual is in post #7.

Brake Lights:
    Connector C
    Channel 6

Tine to trace that wire and check for continuity.

Good luck!
    Last edited by Squeegie; 09-04-2020 at 02:23 PM.

RC Enthusiast
    I have a feeling itís the amplifier since the rear bar works (both red and amber lights).

RC Enthusiast
    But I think FALLEN in right. The esc may not be communicating with the amplifier.

Did you buy your UDR used? The white connector you pointed out looks like it was added by someone else. That may be the signal wire for the brake lights.

They most likely did that to disconnect the brake lights while racing.

Make sure the connections are solid, or just cut the connector off and solder the wires back together.

RC Enthusiast
    Did you buy your UDR used? The white connector you pointed out looks like it was added by someone else. That may be the signal wire for the brake lights.

They most likely did that to disconnect the brake lights while racing.

Make sure the connections are solid, or just cut the connector off and solder the wires back together.
    Bought it brand spanking new form my LHS 2 weeks ago...

Anyone have a phot of what their set up looks like?

Photo from the catalog:

https://traxxas.com/products/parts/6590

RC Enthusiast
    Side question... when you plug In your second battery, does it spark/pop? If thatís not normal, maybe thatís the reason for this issue.

RC Qualifier
    Yeah, that little arc is normal. Mine does it, and my brake lights still work.

RC Racer
    Had the same problem after a normal run the other day, disconnected the amp connector at the esc, reconnected it, and it worked right away. it's the simple "have you tired turning it on and off" fix method haha

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Unstudded_6.0 View Post
    Had the same problem after a normal run the other day, disconnected the amp connector at the esc, reconnected it, and it worked right away. it's the simple "have you tired turning it on and off" fix method haha
    Actually, I did and it worked! Should have done that from the beginning. Lol

Glad you’re back to normal again.
    Have fun!

Quote Originally Posted by ZeroBrakesSlash View Post
    Actually, I did and it worked! Should have done that from the beginning. Lol

The UDR is quite a chunk of cash. Its too bad you have to worry about inconvenient little things like that.

Sent from my LGL722DL using Tapatalk