Thread: Cooling

RC Qualifier

Cooling

Hello,

So I have several Traxxas vehicles, all with cooling fans on the motors and ESC. The ESC fans are all Traxxas brand, and the motor fans are Integy. I just purchased a new 4x4 VXL Rustler, and need to get fans for that as well. My question is, is there any brand better than the other? The Traxxas ESC fans are twice as expensive as others. I've been pretty loyal to Traxxas, and have no problem with that, but if I can get two fan/ heatsink setups for the price of one, and have similar reliability, then......
    Who needs nitro, when you got LiPo?

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by 4-wheelin View Post
    Hello,

So I have several Traxxas vehicles, all with cooling fans on the motors and ESC. The ESC fans are all Traxxas brand, and the motor fans are Integy. I just purchased a new 4x4 VXL Rustler, and need to get fans for that as well. My question is, is there any brand better than the other? The Traxxas ESC fans are twice as expensive as others. I've been pretty loyal to Traxxas, and have no problem with that, but if I can get two fan/ heatsink setups for the price of one, and have similar reliability, then......
    I have the velenion vxl 3s ESC fan, and I think its kinda crappy for the price, constantly unclips from the heatsink and dangles wherever after a few big jumps...the first one i tried, the fan blade assy' flew off the motor/cage, and the motor was locked up! Thankfully, Traxxas sent me a replacement.

I recently threw an integy motor heatsink, and a turbo fan (28k RPM) on the Velenion motor. Still, everything heats up significantly when ambient temps are 92-98 with heat index of 105 plus some days. Speed runs with 17t pinion, call it three passes, telemetry says motor is around 129F, and ESC is around 119F. Normal 11t runs, call it half-a-4000mah 3s, 60c-pack...usually very similar temps. I think im going to try HotRacing dual motor fans/heatsink and see what i get?

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

I have Yeah Racing fans. My Slash 4x4 has a Traxxas ESC fan and Hot Racing fan/aluminum heat sink. The Traxxas one takes a while to fire up now and will soon be replaced by the YR fan. My son's Slash has gone through multiple Castle fans because they struggle to spin up to speed for the first few minutes; it still runs one on the motor but I ditched the Castle ESC fan for the YR one and it runs much better.
    The Super Derecho

RC Qualifier
    Ok thanks guys.
    Who needs nitro, when you got LiPo?

RC poster
    I have had good luck with the Yeah Racing fans as well. I run them on both my esc's and motors for 3 cars.