RC Enthusiast

Large Cap Batteries

Hey guys, just ordered my first xmaxx and i am trying to pair it with the right batteries. I would like long run times (who wouldn't) and i like the price of these guys:

True Spec Extreme Graphene V2 14.8V 9700mAh 120C with G10 plates

It says that it "fits the xmaxx", but at 785 g will they be too heavy?

The 6700 mah traxxas batteries are 644 g. Will ~300 g (for 2 batteries) make that much of a difference on a 20 lb truck?

I am not planning on really bashing it hard. Right now it is a father son bonding thing (i got my 6 year old the maxx and he loves it but i wanted something to play with too).

Will those bats work or should i look at a lower capacity?

Thanks for the guidance!
    Last edited by ChemEng; 09-02-2020 at 02:39 PM.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by ChemEng View Post
    Hey guys, just ordered my first xmaxx and i am trying to pair it with the right batteries. I would like long run times (who wouldn't) and i like the price of these guys:

True Spec Extreme Graphene V2 14.8V 9700mAh 120C with G10 plates

It says that it "fits the xmaxx", but at 785 g will they be too heavy?

The 6700 mah traxxas batteries are 644 g. Will ~300 g (for 2 batteries) make that much of a difference on a 20 lb truck?

I am not planning on really bashing it hard. Right now it is a father son bonding thing (i got my 6 year old the maxx and he loves it but i wanted something to play with too).

Will those bats work or should i look at a lower capacity?

Thanks for the guidance!
    This SMC are better than Traxxas Lipos, high quality and an excellent performance, the weight is the less important feature.

RC Racer
    I have purchased one set of these batteries for my X maxx and love them. So much I bought another set so altogether 4 batteries.

Runtime is amazing and the 120 C output is insane.

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Juanmacine View Post
    This SMC are better than Traxxas Lipos, high quality and an excellent performance, the weight is the less important feature.
    thanks Juanmacine, i come from the FPV drone world where weight is everything. I didn't even consider the traxxas batteries because i am heavily invested in XT60/XT90 lipo charging gear. The SMC brand seems to come highly recommended on these forums.

If those 9700 mah batteries will work then i'll throw down my credit card!

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by afreek1000 View Post
    I have purchased one set of these batteries for my X maxx and love them. So much I bought another set so altogether 4 batteries.

Runtime is amazing and the 120 C output is insane.
    Thanks for the feedback! About how much runtime do you get with one set?

RC Racer
    My truck is slightly different from stock. I have a hobbywing max 5 ESC with 800KV motor. Geared 30/35 and Badlands tires. Even with all that mess, I get about +/- 45 minute runtime.

If your vehicle is stock I think you may see a better runtime then I have.

But even then I think 45 minutes is not bad.

RC Enthusiast
    My truck is slightly different from stock. I have a hobbywing max 5 ESC with 800KV motor. Geared 30/35 and Badlands tires. Even with all that mess, I get about +/- 45 minute runtime.

But even then I think 45 minutes is not bad.
    great, that's about what my son gets with his maxx and a 5000 mah lipo. I have him governed to about 65% throttle with the bluetooth thing witch i think helps with his battery life. So we should be relatively matched when it comes to runtime which is perfect.

RC Enthusiast
    I have a hard time keeping anything stock... its a bit of an addiction i think. I couldn't even leave my 6 year olds maxx stock... i had to put the widemax kit with steel shafts on it so he "wouldn't have to worry about rolling it as much".

I have to suppress the urge to order a bunch of aftermarket stuff before the xmaxx even gets delivered.

RC Enthusiast
    I like the look of them batteries and wish I could order them robe delivered to the UK.

Does anyone know of a UK supplier for them?

I am the same with my X-Maxx. I have had it just over 2 weeks and so far the upgrades are:-

* Proline rear upper and lower arms.
    * Proline top shock reservoirs for the back
    * RPM front arms
    * RPM rear carriers
    * RPM hinge pins front and back
    * Hardened steel 54 tooth spur gear
    * Hardened steel 18 tooth pinion
    * GPM alloy rear diff cover
    * Traxxas GPS
    - soon to be PC case fan cooling the motor powered by an extra bec to replace standard fan that sheared a blade.

It really is an obsession and sure there will be lots more to follow!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I get 45min or so on my 9400 smc batteries. I really enjoy them.

Rpm oversized hub carriers for the rear are a must on the truck. Otherwise it does well just stock.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

RC Racer
    I've been using a pair of Zeee 9000mAh, 100C batteries. They fit perfectly in the X-Maxx but use pretty much every available mm of space in the trays. They have been good batteries thus far and the run times are pretty good but not quite as long as the SMC batteries..

RC Champion
    Hopefully I can get this SMC, the brand don't send to my country.

I find that it's pretty noticeable on smaller trucks like the stampede and ERBEv2 and even my outcast 6S.

I run HRB5000mah 3S packs and Hobbystar 6200mah 3S packs. The HRB's are 376g, the HS are 440g. That's 128g weight difference for a pair, which is less than half what your using on trucks that weigh more than half what the xmaxx weighs.

The worse of the trucks is the ERBEv2. When I ran the HS packs in it, it really felt heavy when turning and landed extra hard when airing it out. The outcast seemed to be the least affected, but it is noticeable.

Sorry I can't help directly with the XMaxx. Just thought I'd mention what I've noticed.
    https://www.youtube.com/c/olds97lss

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    I run the SMC 10500mah 90C batteries. Theyíre heavy. But the trade off is worth it for me. Iíve got my truck setup to handle the weight on the batteries, and the abuse of my 5898 1100kv can. Geared 37/46, itís nasty powerful and fast. I run Badlands and can pretty much lift the truck on command. Punch control is not all the way up on the Max5. The extreme batteries are mainly for speed runs, not abuse and excessive charging. Itís listed on the website.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Accepting requests for bashing at GREENWOOD BASHPLEX in Pittsburgh PA!! Check the thread in the track buddy forum and reply there or pm
    Wow they are sooooo heavy. My 5200s screamed for 30 min but at less than half the weight.

I bought the trx 6700 packs while waiting for my smaller packs. I hated the handling with the big packs, and sold them In a couple weeks. The smcs your looking at are much heavier. Get heaviest traxxas springs and 60 wt oil in the shocks, and it will be good. Many peeps run this way and love it. I like lighter more nimble handling. And... The lighter my truck is, the less things will break when I hit an immovable object at 40 mph.

Sent from my moto e5 cruise using Tapatalk
    Last edited by rag6; 09-05-2020 at 12:04 AM.
    Ya can't polish fertilizer...

RC Enthusiast
    I have 4 of them.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by c7aea View Post
    I have 4 of them.
    Whatís youíre take on them?

RC Enthusiast
    Whatís youíre take on them?
    Good.

Very long run times 45min+

They fit very snug in the battery compartments, but they fit.

The quality of them seems very good.

They are heavy but I donít know how much of a difference that really makes. The truck is still crazy fast and handles a bunch of abuse.

RC Enthusiast
    The smc 9700 mah batteries are working great. Only 3 cycles so far through.

I also have some ZOP 5000 MAH packs on order, but they are on the slow boat. Will be lucky if they show up before Halloween. I will report back on if I can tell the difference in weight.

I have a set of GA 5000mha. I had to modify the case for the wires. So they would fit right. It's my back ups from my smc 9400 sets.

Weight size. I noticed better donut control. But that's about it. But yet to run them much. I do have 1.5 rate springs all around.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk