RC poster

Dusty Motor shroud or other dust protector?

Hi folks!

After steering issues, the biggest problem I have is grit infiltrating the motor through the cooling vents and causing it to seize, and also somehow getting into the pinion/spur gear space and getting lodged in the gear teeth.

Looking hard at the Dusty Motors shroud, would like to know if anybody's used this or a similar product, and what I can reasonably expect? At one point I have wrapped the motor in a section of pantyhose but that was sketchy at best.

Virtually every driving session that isn't on bare pavement ends in a seized motor, and it's starting to rankle.

Thanks!

RC Racer
    Not sure about using one on a teton, but I've had a dusty motors cover on my slash 4x4 for the last few years and it's been a game changer. If rocks, twigs, pine needles, and other crap are a problem, get one.

RC poster
    I've received and installed the Dusty Motors shroud on our new Prerunner after having removed the sand that seized it up on our last run. The fit is nice and snug and the mesh is quite fine, it makes me quite optimistic. Changing batteries will become a bit more of a chore, but it's a small price to pay it it keeps them running longer.

I'll post again once the Teton has it's shroud installed and they've both been out for a stress test.

RC poster
    The first run with the shrouds on the Teton and Prerunner was very positive!

We started at the local baseball diamond, which uses a kitty litter sized grit for the entire infield area. The new Prerunner ran without issues until I opened it up to change from training to full speed mode and didn't securely fasten the shroud on one side. Some grit got in, and started clicking. Knocked what I could out and secured the shroud, kept on going without issue.

The Teton did die at the end of it's first battery, but it looks like the motor burnt out, as the motor clearly isn't seized. Not surprising, really, as that motors been in it for months with lots of abuse previously...

The Prerunner continued onto a second battery running in loose, dry sand at the play ground. Some managed to get into the tub from the front and back, but not enough seize the motor, it kept on running well.

All in all, we had over an hour of drive time in circumstances that would normally have seized the motor in about 15 minutes or so. The inconvenience added for changing batteries and such seems totally worth it.