RC poster

Rear driveshaft issue

Hello, on my 1/16 slash 4x4 the left rear driveshaft does not spin freely. I ran it yesterday and it ran fine but today only 3 of the driveshafts turn freely. Where should I begin to trouble shoot. I didnt hit much water yesterday. I don’t think it’s bearing related but rather rear diff.

You are likely right that it is a diff issue. I would start by dissembling the rear diff. Here is a video that can help.

RC Racer
    I would check the wheel bearings. My Rustler 4x4 did that, the left rear tire would stop spinning before the other 3 wheels. It was definitely a bad bearing.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Easy test would be to unhook the axle from the diff. If it still doesn't turn easy, check wheel bearings. If it turns freely it would be a diff related issue.

RC poster
    Thanks all. I will see what I can get done and report back.

RC Competitor
    I would first check if it were just a over tightened wheel nut.

RC poster
    I got the drive shaft loose and it does not move freely when removed from the rear diff. The driveshaft is almost seized into the bearing. What’s a good approach to get the driveshaft removed from the bearing without breaking something? It is the bearing that is the issue.

UPDATE. Got the driveshaft out. I put the serrated nut on and gently tapped the nut. Driveshaft slide right out.
    Last edited by RedRambler; 09-02-2020 at 09:37 PM.

Just give it some percussive persuasion.

Can put some wd40 on it before hand and let it sit few mins may help as well.

Wheel bearings are a much easier repair than a diff. I use AVID bearings for replacements.

Edit: They offer bearings in kit form that you can pick and choose what types you want.
    Last edited by grizzly03; 09-02-2020 at 09:50 PM. Reason: Kit edit

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Acidic01 View Post
    Just give it some percussive persuasion.

Can put some wd40 on it before hand and let it sit few mins may help as well.

I am going to have to soak the inner bearing to get it out. The outer bearing was fine, but the inner is almost corroded in, which is obviously the bad bearing.

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by grizzly03 View Post
    Wheel bearings are a much easier repair than a diff. I use AVID bearings for replacements.
    I am thinking about getting all new bearings just as preventive maintenance. I will check out the Avid’s. Thanks all for the quick responses.

Quote Originally Posted by RedRambler View Post
    I am going to have to soak the inner bearing to get it out. The outer bearing was fine, but the inner is almost corroded in, which is obviously the bad bearing.
    If you can find something that fits right. I've used my needle nose plyers. Or a nail punch. Something kinda wedge shaped To go in the bearing hole To and give it some taps it will come out.

I redo all my bearings in Marine bearings grease rolling resistance is increased some since so thick but loosing up after a while. but I've never had a stuck bearings since and they always last way longer between servicing than stock. I feel really helpful if running in water or at beaches

Quote Originally Posted by Acidic01 View Post
    I redo all my bearings in Marine bearings grease rolling resistance is increased some since so thick but loosing up after a while. but I've never had a stuck bearings since and they always last way longer between servicing than stock. I feel really helpful if running in water or at beaches

That is because Marine grease has anti-seize additives same as Red-N-Tacky. But Red-N-Tacky is just alot easier to clean and replace but if water is a real issue use Marine grease it is the best for that problem.

P.S. @OP Sorry, I use stainless steal bearing in all my rigs so I rarely consider the bearing as a problem point.
    Last edited by zedorda; 09-02-2020 at 10:10 PM.

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by zedorda View Post
    That is because Marine grease has anti-seize additives same as Red-N-Tacky. But Red-N-Tacky is just alot easier to clean and replace but if water is a real issue use Marine grease it is the best for that problem.

P.S. @OP Sorry, I use stainless steal bearing in all my rigs so I rarely consider the bearing as a problem point.
    No worries at all, the video was very helpful in taking the driveshaft off. I appreciate the visual. I will be going to my LHS in search of bearings. Do the bearings come pre packed with grease or is it required to take the dust cover off and pack the bearings?

I only oil soak my bearing overnite. If you work them submerged in oil they release bubbles. I don't think they need to be packed with grease.

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by zedorda View Post
    I only oil soak my bearing overnite. If you work them submerged in oil they release bubbles. I don't think they need to be packed with grease.
    Thanks for that info. Going to the LHS at some point today to get the new bearings..All the small parts needed add up in cost pretty quick. But you gotta pay to play!

For me. I repack all my bearings in Marine grease. But I also run at the beach when I go. And in mud and so on. I just bash. I also hose my cars off to clean up so they get lots of contact with water. This works well for me and how I run my cars.

If racing or going for speed. Then oil is better than grease. But have to service them more often.

RC poster
    I will be doing some bashing and I am not up to the racing level just yet. I think I might get a couple sets to use grease and oil. Might as well get two and pay shipping once. My LHS doesn’t have a traxxas lipo nor bearings.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by RedRambler View Post
    No worries at all, the video was very helpful in taking the driveshaft off. I appreciate the visual. I will be going to my LHS in search of bearings. Do the bearings come pre packed with grease or is it required to take the dust cover off and pack the bearings?
    They will come pre-lubricated. Some brands will have sealed bearings and some are open, if you are planning on going off-road, get sealed ones.

I buy mine from Boca Bearings - they have good bearings but also good customer service.

In general, look at the parts diagram to identify what bearing you are replacing and get the size - that will help you with shopping. You can also just replace all bearings by buying a bearing kit. Don't feel you need to buy ceramic as in most situations, steel bearings are just as good as long as they are quality built.

I'm luck and my independent LHS has metal seal and black seal bearings in most sizes.

You may want to look at parts explosion and get bearings in all the needed sizes. The diff bearings tend to need servicing or replacing after a year or two depending on playtime and conditions.

Rpm bearing blaster tool is helpful in cleaning bearings with your favorite cleaner. I like chlorinated break cleaner the best.

I don't think I've had to replace a bearing on my Merv but have cleaned and regreased. Any time I have to tear down and have access to a bearing I check it and service as needed.

RC poster
    I ordered the Avid Revolution bearings and will run the yellow side out towards the dirt. I didnt realize there was such a market for these tiny bearings, but there are a few options..I did use the exploded view for the Slash 1/16 4x4 to get the bearing sizes, fingers crossed I ordered the correct ones. The only thing I couldn't verify was for example, Avid lists the bearings as 4x8x3, and the exploded view would list 4x8 only..Boca Bearings look like a good option as well..holy cow on the ceramic prices Boca Bearings..spendy.

Sometimes you need to click on the little popup window when you touch the part # on the exploded view. Then it will you give you the full size of the bearing.

I have switched to AVID for that reason, but I still use Boca Bearings for my nitro engines.

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by grizzly03 View Post
    Sometimes you need to click on the little popup window when you touch the part # on the exploded view. Then it will you give you the full size of the bearing.

I have switched to AVID for that reason, but I still use Boca Bearings for my nitro engines.
    Yep, I see that now looking on my desktop. Ordered from my phone and didnt realize I could click on the exploded view part numbers. Avid stressed extended shipping times so it might be a few days before these show up, put the ol Lipo battery in storage mode

RC poster
    I couldn’t find a recent thread to jump into regarding sway bars for the 1/16 slash. I see the hot racing sway bar gets suggested a lot, however it is sold out everywhere I look. Are there alternatives to the HR sway bar, or am I going to have to be patient until they are available again?

RC poster
    I sent an email to HR and they stated “unfortunately we no longer carry traxxas parts”. Unsure if that means for good or what, however is there an alternate option for sway bars?