RC poster

New Rustler or New Vintage Rustler HELP

Hello ! New member here and looking to get some help with a decision I have to make. Buy a new xl5 rustler or a new old stock vintage rustler. Which would you guys buy? Same price

Go with the new one unless you have some sort of sentimental attachment toward the older style.

RC poster
    Is there actually any differences ?

There are, quite a bunch. One thing that I can think off of the top of my head is the electronics are different. The newer version has the blue XL-5 ESC and Titan 12t motor, along with a "newer" TQ radio system (2.4GHz). The older version has the yellow XL-5 ESC (not sure about the motor), and it also has the old traxxas TQ radio system (27MHz). I'm pretty sure there are also other upgrades the new one has that the older doesn't have.

Unless you want to start a collection of vintage Traxxas cars, then getting a new one seems like the better idea.
    Everyday's a gift, thus now is called the present.

If you have the model number you could look it up. The model number is on the box.

RC poster
    It’s 3701 model number

RC poster
    The electronics I’m not worried about, I’m going to put my own stuff in. Was more curious about chassis differences if any.

RC Qualifier
    If the chassis is black plastic it is more brittle and older. Get the newer one in my opinion, newer parts and whatnot.

RC poster
    Yes it is all black. Brand new but old

RC Enthusiast

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by rwordenjr View Post
    Yes it is all black. Brand new but old
    Sounds like you probably have the Stinger motor if itís a first generation Rustler (my first hobby-grade RC car 20 years ago *thumbsup*).

RC poster
    Yes it does have the stinger motor.

RC Qualifier
    1st Traxxas product I got as well 15 years ago, 1st thing that went was the stock XL5 and stinger motor in favor of a Team Orion Formula Pro 12t and Novak Rooster ESC. The chassis lasted up until summer 10 years ago when I landed on top of another truck during a race.

RC Qualifier
    I had a similar bandit with an ancient digital speed control, that when you ran low with your batteries it would start to run away out of control haha.

If you plan on running it, get the new Rusty. They are made of better materials and new tech.

If you already have it, you could probably sell it to a collector and use the money towards the new Rusty.

Have fun!
    Creativity is intelligence having fun. -Einstein

RC poster
    I want new rustler with old style body, anyone know where to buy an old style body?

RC Qualifier
    You might be able to find one on ebay.

RC poster
    Okay, just ordered the new xl5 rustler !

RC Qualifier
    Awesome! Which electronics are you going to put in it?

RC poster
    I'm going to swap the radio gear out with Futaba and then try the stock esc and motor on 2S LIPO. If it's fast enough, ill leave for now. If not, I'll switch to track * brushless esc and motor combo. I like those sets

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by rwordenjr View Post
    I want new rustler with old style body, anyone know where to buy an old style body?
    The old gen1 bodies are really hard to find for any of the traxxas cars. I spent about a month looking for a gen1 bandit body and lucked out with a brand new in package pro-graphixs body:

I don't actually intend to paint and use this body - I'm going to make a plaster mold out of it and vacuum form my own replicas so I don't have to worry about ruining it and never being able to find another one again.

Accepting requests for bashing at GREENWOOD BASHPLEX in Pittsburgh PA!! Check the thread in the track buddy forum and reply there or pm
    Get the new version. Find an old body.

Sent from my moto e5 cruise using Tapatalk
    Ya can't polish fertilizer...