RC Competitor

Rustler 4x4 motor temps

I have a castle mamba x esc and 1410 3800kv combo. I know that motor is a little too small for the weight of the rustler. With a 13t pinion, heatsink and minimal timing advance the motor temp hit 180 in like 20min. Im doing some parking lot bashing/racing. I'm running out of ideas to keep the motor temp down. Has anyone run a xerun 3600kv with the mamba x? Looking for some ideas before buying another motor
    Rustler 4x4 powered by MambaX

What is the total weight (including battery) of your Rusty? Also, what battery (especially the 'S') are you running? Finally, what spur (the 'T' count) are you using, as the pinion doesn't tell the whole gearing story?

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
    ~ Love, laughter & kindness makes the world better

RC Competitor
    I haven't weighed it, but the advertised weight without battery is a little over 5lbs. The batteries are traxxas 3s 5000mah, factory 54t spur

I wouldn't call the 1410 3800kv motor "too small". It's still an improvement over the stock velineon motor. It really comes down to what you want to do with your truck and what your expectations are. Ambient temperatures come into play also. You can't blame your motor for running hot if you are doing speed runs on the street in the heat of summer for example.

But going with a bigger motor is never a bad idea. That 3600kv xerun you mentioned is a 3660 motor. Larger than the Castle 3800kv motor, which is 3652 or so, but only a tiny bit larger. Your Mamba X is a good ESC for a smaller truck like the Rustler and should be able to handle a bigger motor. It's often pared with the Castle 1415 2400kv motor, which is a 3670 motor. The only issue with that motor is that it's VERY expensive for what you get, especially when you're not buying it as part of a combo. It usually costs over $100. On the other hand, there are many 3674 motors out there on places like eBay in the $35-$50 range. I used to run the Castle 2400kv 3670 motor in my Stampede 4x4 until the shaft snapped when I landed a jump. I didn't want to blow $100+ on a new motor so I took a chance with a no-name a 3674 motor from eBay to hold me over, actually finding one for sale for $20. Honestly, it was an improvement. I run that motor on 4s with a Mamba Max Pro, which was the immediate predecessor to the Mamba X and similar in terms of power handling. Especially with that big heatsink, it never gets too hot, even on a hot day.

RC Competitor
    Got the temps figured out. Had set the motor temp switch at 180. It must have been just kissing that temp, I set it a little higher and no issues. Ran the battery to the lvc and no temperature issues. Thanks for all your responses