RC poster

Can you share 3s batteries between 6s eRevo 2.0 and Slash 4x4?

I'm currently trying to decide whether to get a Maxx or an eRevo 2.0 and currently own a Slash 4x4 Ultimate.

I'm wondering if I got the eRevo and the dual 3s bundle, can I use the batteries in the Slash on some days, and the eRevo on others, or is it best to keep the paired batteries dedicated to 6s use?

Since I'm here, any opinions on whether to get the Maxx or the eRevo?

I dont know a whole lot about dual battery use... But i will say that im sure you should be just fine. I dont see why it could be a problem.

Just balance charge when you need charging, storage charge when your not using it for a few days.

I cant imagine itd be bad for the truck or the batteries.

Sent from my LGL722DL using Tapatalk

Some say it matters, some say it doesn't.

In general, I don't mix my dual pack truck packs with my single pack truck packs. Each time your charge/discharge a pack, the IR is going up in it, it's how they age. If you cycle one in the pair twice as often as the other in the pair, the one with more cycles is going to be aging faster. I also don't mix my paired packs. I label them, date them and run them/charge them/discharge them in the same pairs always.

If you use one of the pairs once in a while, probably not a big deal, but if you do it a lot and don't alternate the pack you use in the single truck, you will end up with packs that have IR that is quite a bit different. With packs that have differing IR wired in series, the one with higher IR is going to drain faster, perform worse and be more likely to run below LVC voltage because the ESC works by the average of the total voltage.

So, typically, when one of my "paired" packs starts to falter, I retire it, then label the other pack in the pair for single use only. I never really buy packs for my 1 pack trucks as I always buy them in even sets. I'll just take the oldest ones I have, label them for single use and start using the new packs in pairs I keep labeled together.

At this point, it's just habit for me.
    https://www.youtube.com/c/olds97lss

That does make sense.. Its like having a tractor trailer truck that has 6 or 8 batteries. You dont change out just one battery.

To be efficient, youll want to get a voltage tester for a Lipo and make sure they're almost exact voltage when you pair them up.

Or just charge them both so their full before you use them together.

RC poster
    Thank you both for taking the time to respond, this does make a lot of sense.

If keeping pairs together is the best bet, it does remove one possible "pro" to the eRevo over the Maxx. Decisions decisions...

Yup. That's what the forums are for Were here to help. And give our inputs. Sometimes were wrong. But again. That's why were here.

...or you can upgrade your Slash 4x4 Ultimate to a heavy 6S beast!

Have fun!
    Creativity is intelligence having fun. -Einstein

RC poster
    I considered beefing up the Slash, but I have a great little play area that's just perfect for 2/3s right now.

When I took my rustler from brushed to brushless. I found my 5000mha packs for my erevo2 would fit in the rustler. So I use my old single packs (where one of them failed and retired) in the rustler.

I do keep my packs as a set pair and run those packs only together like as stated above.

Once 1 dies I'll use it in my other cars.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

RC Enthusiast
    You can definitely use the erevo batteries with other vehicles. If you want to be a stickler about matching discharge between the packs then just alternate which 3s pack you use.

You can even run a 2s and 3s pack for 5s voltage. Essentially you want the cells to have similar mah capacities.

I will say this, a problem of running a new pack and old pack is that one could discharge quicker than the other and go below the minimum voltage killing the battery. With the erevo this isn't going to be a problem since the low voltage cutoff is around 3.5-3.6v, iirc, which leaves plenty of room to stay above 3.2v per cell.

If you choose a battery at random you have a 50/50 chance of picking one of the two packs... over time the likelihood of favoring one pack over the other is highly unlikely, so you don't even need to closely monitor which pack you choose.

I have 3 sets of 3s packs. 6.2ah hobbystar, 5.2ah oovo from amazon, and 5ah traxxas completer bundle. I use them all in my erevo and trx6, but I always use the same pair for 6s due to the amp-hour capacity differences.

Quote Originally Posted by MAKDaddy View Post
    Thank you both for taking the time to respond, this does make a lot of sense.

If keeping pairs together is the best bet, it does remove one possible "pro" to the eRevo over the Maxx. Decisions decisions...