RC Enthusiast

Question Ripped foam in tyres

Hi all.

Only had my X-Maxx for about 2 weeks and the tyre foam has ripped inside the tyre and is bunches up on one end.

Is this normal to happen this quickly?

Also, what size foam would I need to replace it. I have looked online and can see other wheel and tyre options but want to try and get it right first time rather than wasting money on wrong foams or tyres.

Thanks again!

Hal

RC poster
    I had the same issue. Apparently nobody sells replacement foams. I have a complete set of tires with no more than 3 days of use that I now have to scrap.

If you're handy, you can build a foam cutter and make your own. There's a nice tutorial on YouTube. I think the root cause is the lack of belts in the Traxxas tires. The tires expand from diffing-out, etc., and eventually destroy the foam inside them.

I'm now running Powerhobby Raptor XL wheels\tires, which are belted, and have had no issues since I bought them a month ago. They're slightly taller, so you may have to regear, but the foams inside them are still just as firm as when they were new. They're roughly the same price as the Traxxas tires, too. I picked up a set on eBay for $130.

Options are make your own foams from furniture foam from fabric stores.

Or buy new tires.

I wrap my tires in 500lb kevlar string to keep them from ballooning. I loose ease of backflips when jumping but it saves my tires. I'm still 6months in on stock tires of aggressive driving. I didn't have to reglue them a little bit the other day as they were pulling out of rim some.

I also cover the air holes inside the rims with duct tape. So that water and sand can not get into the tire. This helps save the tires as well.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

RC poster
    yep, same thing happened to me. I contacted traxxas and they basically told me, that there is so many factors(driving styles, conditions, etc) involved they could not warranty and only offer tires not the foams. I have seen at least 4-5 people with trucks purchased this year on here with the same issue.

I ended up cutting foam from Joann fabrics and making my own.

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Racerbwr1 View Post
    yep, same thing happened to me. I contacted traxxas and they basically told me, that there is so many factors(driving styles, conditions, etc) involved they could not warranty and only offer tires not the foams. I have seen at least 4-5 people with trucks purchased this year on here with the same issue.

I ended up cutting foam from Joann fabrics and making my own.
    Thanks dude!

I will have a look and see if i can find some foam and a forming wand to make them with.

Next research to carry out: - how to un-glue and re-glue tyres.

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by hallamnet View Post
    Next research to carry out: - how to un-glue and re-glue tyres.
    The easiest way I've found is acetone. Get a bucket large enough for a tire, ideally with a lid, and soak it for a day. The lid is to keep it from evaporating too quickly. You can get gallon jugs of acetone at any big-chain hardware store.

The only downside...it takes a while. It took me roughly 24 hours per tire. But...it comes off clean, doesn't damage the tire or rim, and no residual super glue to chip off.

The baking and boiling methods are quicker, but stink up the house, and there's always leftover superglue.

RC Racer
    They do make a debonder or for CA glue.

https://www.amazon.com/Bob-Smith-Ind.../dp/B0000DD1QS

RC Qualifier
    add me to the list. same issue happened to me after 2 weeks. i suspect its because i vented my tires and would wash my car with a hose (even though ive been doing this for 10 years with my erevo with no issues)

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by varunaX View Post
    add me to the list. same issue happened to me after 2 weeks. i suspect its because i vented my tires and would wash my car with a hose (even though ive been doing this for 10 years with my erevo with no issues)
    Agreed. I never washed mine and I dont even think mine saw water. Still had a foam failure. My first car was in 1987, first time I have ever heard water affecting tire form. I have never had a tire foam failure, even building a HPI super nitro, GPS'd at 96mph in early 2000's.

anyways. I have been running foam from joanns fabrics for the last few months, with no issues. I would recommend cutting it slightly larger that 8" OD. I cut mine right at 8", i feel it could use a little more cushion. My truck is pretty much stock. So if you have a juiced up one, may want to consider upgrading tire/wheels.
    Last edited by Racerbwr1; 09-18-2020 at 12:50 PM.