RC Enthusiast

Proline Belted Badlands are Awesome

Hi Internet Friends,
    Let me just say I love the Proline Belted Badlands Tires! I had previously been running Proline Belted Trenchers, and it's clear the Belted Badlands are way better. First of all, no matter how I set my front and rear toe (in or out), I could not get the belted trenchers to not wobble on asphalt at high speed. The belted badlands track true as an arrow at high speed on asphalt. I love it. Second, the traction and amount of dig you get with belted badlands on fine gravel and grass is just better. They hook up like crazy. I hope they last, because I also had a couple belted trenchers go bad on me. In one case the belt broke. They lasted several months of hard use though, which is much better than the stock Talon EXT's. How can they ship such a tear prone tire on the stock EREVO 2.0? They are so terrible. Get some Belted Badlands!

-Infinity

How did your ext's tear?

My only issue with the ext's is the weight (13.9oz). They weigh more than my 3.8 trenchers (13.4oz). Smaller OD, but heavy suckers.

Since I run at a grass bmx track so much, I was contemplating getting another set of arrma backflips. Once wrapped, they seem to do really well and they are really light (12.5oz). The only thing is they are 0 offset, like my trenchers. Now that I've finally run stock tires on my ERBEv2, I really see the benefit of the 1/2" offset for handling... although, the truck doesn't fit in my truck bag well anymore...

I wrap all my 6S truck tires with 500lb kevlar cored cord. Keeps them from blowing off the rims or blowing apart, even during repeated WOT backflips.

Trencher 3.8's vs EXT's:

Backflips
    https://www.youtube.com/c/olds97lss

What do you do to keep the kevlar cord in place? And where can i get some?

Sent from my LGL722DL using Tapatalk

I clean the track where the string is going to go with a q-tip and DA, then wrap the string and tie a 4 wrap single knot, pull it snug. Get the string laying exactly where I want it, pull the knot snug again, then I glue the entire knot. Then I put a drop of glue about every inch to hold the string to the tire.

Wrapping the knot 3-4 times in a long single knot holds it snug enough to not come undone but also keeps the knot as flat as possible.

I tried lighter kevlar string, but it tended to break/cut when running on rocks/gravel. The 500lb cored stuff seems to hold up much much longer. I also stopped gluing the entire thing to the tire as that made it a bear to remove the string if it needed replaced. Just a spot every inch seems to be plenty.

I've done 3 sets of 3.8" trenchers, 1 set of MT4 tires, 1 set of traxxas 3.3 maxx tires, 1 set of backflips and the talon ext's. On the backflips, even though the string isn't in a straight line, it still works just fine.

I bought this, but when I bought it, they had 500lb and it had a core to it:
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01AZBOK7W

Now it appears to be hollow...

Still hard to see, but you can kind of see the 3-4 wrap single knot here on a traxxas tire I did:

You can see how much the EXT's balloon when wrapped at 1:03 here:
    Last edited by olds97_lss; 09-04-2020 at 11:29 AM.

Wow okay. Im going to do this with my next set of tires. I'd like to get belted again but they're much more expensive.

Sent from my LGL722DL using Tapatalk

I've been doing it with mine ever since I started running 6S on my big trucks. The cord has held up for over a year, I run at skate parks and at the grass bmx track most of the time.

The one time I didn't do it was when I first started 6S in my savage flux with 3.8 trenchers on it and a transmission with a center diff. I made it about 3 minutes and blew both front tires off the rims. lol! Luckily, the foams and tires didn't get damaged, so it was just a matter of regluing/wrapping and rebalancing.

RC MT tires cost too much to be too stupid about things, at least for me. $100+ for a set of tires/wheels isn't something I considering a "throw away" item to neglect if there's a way to make them last.

One thing to note, which you may have found with belted, wrapping them really kills the gyro effect for air control. While I watch people with their outcasts doing quadruple back flips... I'd have to launch mine off a cliff to do that with the tires wrapped. Even geared for 50mph.

I've been using kevlar kite string to wrap my tires as well. Same stuff as olds97 listed cept mine was only available in yellow.... Ever since I blew a foam out on a mt6pack. And the talons

It has kept my stock xmaxx tires, and my 3.8 badlands in good shape. When most everyone ruin their stock tires. I did just reglue a few spots that looked like they were starting to come off the rim that looked like it never had glue.

****ed rc tires cost about as much as a 1:1 tire. So I was up for anything that may help prolong the life. Perhaps I got the info from olds97 in a different post?

I do notice it's now hard to backflip, and lose a bit of in air control. But I don't need to backflip as I feel I'll just break things if I don't land it right.

For me I've only done a single wrap. Tie with a square knot cut ends off and ca glue the knot with a piece of paper under it to keep it from sticking to my tire. I press down on the tire and get it as tight as I can. Since it's not glued to the tire. It's easy to replace as needed.

On my badlands I did 2 sets of wraps as the treads allowed. Xmaxx got just 1 wrap. I Had one string come off the badlands, probably to loose. Make sure you never run over the string as xmaxx picked it up and melted off half the hex nut and cooked a bearing and almost took out the rim. Before I noticed it on the xmaxx. Had 1 wrap come off the xmaxx, knot undid itself and sounded like a gunshot when it did let go when at wot. I thought I blew the tire out but was just the string.

I've noticed I picked up a few mph in speed with wrapping my tires as well. And seems I get much more traction and control at speed due to tires no longer being pizza cutters.

I feel like if you don't have belted tires. That wrapping them in kevlar string is well worth the time to do it. And saves weight over belted tires.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Acidic01 View Post
    For me I've only done a single wrap. Tie with a square knot cut ends off and ca glue the knot with a piece of paper under it to keep it from sticking to my tire. I press down on the tire and get it as tight as I can. Since it's not glued to the tire. It's easy to replace as needed.
    I only use a single wrap as well with the 500lb stuff. The first time I used 70lb, but it got cut up pretty easy when running on gravel at all, I used 3-4 wraps of that. With the thicker stuff and a single wrap, tying a square knot tends to make the knot too big for shallow tread, so I got in the habit of the multi-twist single knot.

I've thought about not gluing it to the tire, but figured a drop an inch would save me while bashing if a line broke, also avoids it getting wrapped up in the hub before it goes unnoticed if it breaks.

EDIT:
    I don't think I've ever talked about string in my entire life nearly as much as I have since I started doing this to my tires... lol!

RC Enthusiast
    My EXT’s tore the first time after I learned to drive on two wheels. The simple diffing out will kill the stock tires. A nice design requirement for the Traxxas team would be “able to survive diffing out”. Because every noob is going to do it, and if tires can’t handle it, that’s a pretty crappy customer experience. After I tore my first EXT’s, I bought another set and no longer drove on two wheels. However within about 10 hard runs they tore again. And then again. Hey more power to you guys that can save some money and apply the Kevlar cord. I prefer the clean integrated look myself, but you do pay for it.

cord mod was the very first thing i did on my revo v1.0 and talons... it failed on me, I couldnt do it well.

taping works nice, but still gets detached after some years of play

i really want to test these proline belted badlands. i love badlands, factory belted might be perfect. they are EXPENSIVE tho. let us know how they hold up in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by fuzion View Post
    cord mod was the very first thing i did on my revo v1.0 and talons... it failed on me, I couldnt do it well.

taping works nice, but still gets detached after some years of play

i really want to test these proline belted badlands. i love badlands, factory belted might be perfect. they are EXPENSIVE tho. let us know how they hold up in the future.
    They are heavier as well. At least the trencher x belted are quite a bit heaver than non.
    non: 13.651oz
    belted: 16.967

Almost a full extra pound of rotating mass.

Not sure if it's that drastic with the badlands vs belted badlands.

Do you have a weight for those belteds? I don't have them in my tire chart.

really... what the f do they put in that tape? lead? no i dont have any yet. cant justify the 150-200$ i need for 4 tires now... old badlands still hold.

Quote Originally Posted by fuzion View Post
    really... what the f do they put in that tape? lead? no i dont have any yet. cant justify the 150-200$ i need for 4 tires now... old badlands still hold.
    OP has them. Was hoping he'd have a weight. Ever since I started running electric, tire weight was something I tried keeping track of since it seems to have such a large impact on esc/motor temps. Wasn't something I ever ran into with nitro, but then again, I never ran a nitro that would see the other side of 50mph. So caring about rotating mass, tire balancing and belting wasn't even a distant thought.

The face of the tire is likely thicker so it doesn't rip from whatever it is they have in them as a belting material.

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by olds97_lss View Post
    OP has them. Was hoping he'd have a weight. Ever since I started running electric, tire weight was something I tried keeping track of since it seems to have such a large impact on esc/motor temps. Wasn't something I ever ran into with nitro, but then again, I never ran a nitro that would see the other side of 50mph. So caring about rotating mass, tire balancing and belting wasn't even a distant thought.

The face of the tire is likely thicker so it doesn't rip from whatever it is they have in them as a belting material.
    I got these weights from YouTube review below. Surprised to see belted badlands weigh less than normal badlands, and not much more than stock EXTs.

Stock EXTs: 390g
    Belted Badlands: 418g
    Normal Badlands: 456g

https://youtu.be/ssDkI5Uf-to

Yep, that's odd. I had the weight from someone else on the MX38 unbelted @413g.

Updated my sheet.

the rim must affect the overall weight as well. can we have that sheet also @olds97?

i also went weighting. interesting weight on those badlands MX38. i avoid playing with my taped big joes as i consider them too heavy, it seems afterall they are at the same range:

day and night with my old small badlands taped:

ok some more weighting now that i m at it :P

I'll make a thread for it... I totally messed up this guys thread and probably shouldn't have.

https://forums.traxxas.com/showthrea...69#post6554469
    Last edited by olds97_lss; 09-06-2020 at 02:56 AM.