Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RC Enthusiast

Dads Brushless Slash LCG chassis conversion on 3s

Hi all! New around here. I've titled this Dads build as it's my sons interest in RC that revived my interest in RC. And I must say, things have changed a bit. He still has his first RC, a Rustler XL-5 . Now he's stoked to have a Mini E Revo VXL.
    I've had a Castle SCT powered slash for some years now. Added some Traxxas aluminum tie rods, and GTR shocks after I purchased it from a guy on Craigslist (does that still exist?? lol).
    After debating to get a different RC or fix up the old Slash...I decided to fix up the Slash after seeing the LCG conversion kit.

So...this old pig is about to get some upgrades. Actually it's about to donate tie rods, shocks, and back end. Everything else will be new.
    I think RPM parts are THE plastic upgrade to get. But...I don't like the blue.

[IMG][/IMG]

Accepting requests for bashing at GREENWOOD BASHPLEX in Pittsburgh PA!! Check the thread in the track buddy forum and reply there or pm

Sent from my moto e5 cruise using Tapatalk
    Ya can't polish fertilizer...

RC Enthusiast
    New parts minus some that haven't arrived or I haven't picked up from LHS

[IMG][/IMG]
    Last edited by Scott P; 09-03-2020 at 11:29 PM.

Accepting requests for bashing at GREENWOOD BASHPLEX in Pittsburgh PA!! Check the thread in the track buddy forum and reply there or pm
    The vid link is broken for me

Let the fun begin!

Quote Originally Posted by rag6 View Post
    What vid link?
    Creativity is intelligence having fun. -Einstein

RC poster
    Nice! I did the brushless upgrade on my sons, now inherited slash. Let me tell you, WOW this thing is fast! A kid up the street just moved in and had his out in the road so I had to go out and show him. His is still stock and I can't believe how slow it is! lol. I am starting my first gen T-Maxx revival this weekend. Years ago I got the Picco Max .26 to replace the old but strong Traxxas .15 and that thing was crazy! Can't wait to get it running again. Good luck man!

Quote Originally Posted by rag6 View Post

Sorry, there are 2 pics. The first is broken

RC Enthusiast
    Thanks! That's awesome your doing an old school T-Maxx build. Those were sweet back in the day. I've never had nitro. Sure are fun hear and watch.

RC Enthusiast
    Not sure why the same pic posted twice.

Parts-[IMG][/IMG]

RC Enthusiast
    Waiting on wheels and tires, RC Screwz set, and rear adjustable body mount.

Oh the body. Decided to go with the McAllister racing tri county body. Thinking maybe silver with some black. Or red with some black for that. Been years since I trimmed and painted a body!

I'll keep all existing electronics. Castle SCT esc, and I believe a 3800 motor. Hitec 625MG servo. Futaba 3pl controller.
    Ultimately I'd like to go with the Mamba Max, 4s lipo with a higher kv motor. But that might be a bit much.

I cant wait to see what it looks like when its done. If you remember, you should try taking pictures of the whole process so you can share them with us!

We all love seeing a build come together.

Sent from my LGL722DL using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Scott P View Post
    Waiting on wheels and tires, RC Screwz set, and rear adjustable body mount.

Oh the body. Decided to go with the McAllister racing tri county body. Thinking maybe silver with some black. Or red with some black for that. Been years since I trimmed and painted a body!

I'll keep all existing electronics. Castle SCT esc, and I believe a 3800 motor. Hitec 625MG servo. Futaba 3pl controller.
    Ultimately I'd like to go with the Mamba Max, 4s lipo with a higher kv motor. But that might be a bit much.
    Sounds good! I’ve almost purchaed their Ascot Modified body seveal times, but never hit the final order button.
    Keep it up!

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Calebs0615 View Post
    I cant wait to see what it looks like when its done. If you remember, you should try taking pictures of the whole process so you can share them with us!

We all love seeing a build come together.

Thanks! I'm definitely going to be taking a lot of pictures during the build for updates. I'm stoked everything is coming together with parts, and my vision for this.

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Squeegie View Post
    Sounds good! I’ve almost purchaed their Ascot Modified body seveal times, but never hit the final order button.
    Keep it up!
    That body is sweet! I was so torn between the two I had my son make the final call lol

Hereís some pics of the one you two chose:
    https://forums.traxxas.com/showthrea...f-my-Slash-4x4
    Too bad Photobucket puts their watermark on pics that the account holder didnít pay pay for their higher tier rates on...

Cube Upload FTW. These guys are great and deserve more traffic.

https://cubeupload.com/

No ads on the cheap.

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by zedorda View Post
    Cube Upload FTW. These guys are great and deserve more traffic.

https://cubeupload.com/

No ads on the cheap.
    Nice! Thanks

RC Enthusiast
    Okay- had a little time to start this project.
    One thing I did't anticipate came up fairly quick. Putting all the new stuff together. I mean, it's not a big deal, but something I didn't consider. Starting fresh with new parts, and a new box of screws rather than changing parts is a bit different. I've had other RC's that I've worked on so much I could probably rebuild with my eyes closed. Not really, but you get the point.
    This thing had all RPM parts when I bought. I've never broken anything to replace lol!
    And there's mixed head screws from previous owner haha

So I did the fool proof method and added matching screws to new parts as I tear down old truck. Kinda keeping it simple, stupid.

RC Enthusiast
    Starting with the front end. I went with Integy castor blocks and steering knuckles. Not for any particular reason, but I did want same brand for both to insure a good fit. They fit together well. I do like the free steering of the aluminum parts. There is a slight bit of slop between block and knuckle. Slight meaning I couldn't wedge the smallest shim I have to tighten it up.

I opted to stick with the nut and screw set up even though the aluminum parts are threaded. Any input on this would be appreciated. I'm not sure if what I did is standard or do you guys use a shorter screw without the nut, and use some loctite.

New bearings seated into the Integy parts nice and snug.

Front end mock up so far

RC Enthusiast
    As for tools. If you don't have a nice set of drivers you needed them yesterday. I bought this MIP set anticipating wrenching on this, and my sons cars.
    I've been cheap in the past with RC tools. Don't be like me!
    Last edited by Scott P; 09-06-2020 at 10:56 PM.

RC Enthusiast
    Found a little time to work on the build. Man that old Slash was beat. Front a arms binding, steering binding, rear arms not smooth, and bent caster block to steering knuckle screw that was curling the RPM castor block. RPM stuff does not break lol

I split the transmission case. Of course the diff was crazy sloppy. And the metal outer gear was a bit worn.

Picked up a new factory diff and middle gear today. I was going to lock it, but I'd like to keep it a little more versatile. We live on a court so lots of turning during on road bashing. And I want the option for off road bashing later after I've scratched it up a bit.
    New gears

I opted to keep the original upper gear. I've read about that particular gear failing. I figured if this has lasted this long I'm not changing it. It didn't show the wear like the other two.

One other worn part...the motor. The shaft is sloppy. It's a 3800kv motor.
    I'm leaning towards the Castle SW4 4600 combo. That seems like the best option for this project. I was previously thinking Mamba X for the 4s option. That's a NO after watching some videos of these on 4s.

Finally a few pics of the new stuff

RC Enthusiast
    That gearbox case contrast to chassis is too much for me. RPM black case is on the way.

Removed all old parts, cleaned, and inspected them. Nice lot of RPM, along with a few other stock parts lot listings have been posted to the bay. Hopefully I can recoup the cost of the Castle Creations SW4 4600 combo I just ordered

If you have enough nuts and screws and it'll fit where you're trying to put it, I'd do it with every one. The screws tend to back out of the aluminium. I use red thread locker on all mine. Blue is sufficient.

RC Enthusiast
    Thanks for the input. I'll continue with the nuts and screws.

RC Enthusiast
    Wheels and tires finally arrived!

I like the design of those rims for sure. Very sleek. You'll have to let us know how those tires perform.

Keep keeping us posted!!

RC Enthusiast
    I opted for the RPM black transmission case. That old gray case just didn't fit with the new black parts. I'm happy with the look, but the casing fit isn't spot on. The back half of the case still had a slight separation after assembly.
    Despite some minor hang ups, things are starting to come together.

Its coming together nicely for sure. That looks great. I love the black color. Almost a matte finish.

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Calebs0615 View Post
    I like the design of those rims for sure. Very sleek. You'll have to let us know how those tires perform.

Keep keeping us posted!!

Thanks!! I do like the look of the rim. Kind of like an XD style. I'm hoping the tires hook up as good as they feel. I'm really liking the look of them!

RC Qualifier
    if you didnt catch it already your steering bell crank is off to the wrong side. The arm that goes to the servo should be on the other side where the clearance is made into the chassis.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Squeegie View Post
    Keep it up!
    Shoot for me either body would do....Can You Say ZZ Top Eliminator Slash lol

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by REAP3R View Post
    if you didnt catch it already your steering bell crank is off to the wrong side. The arm that goes to the servo should be on the other side where the clearance is made into the chassis.
    Thank you! I'm surprised someone didn't bring that up earlier.
    I did catch that mistake when I went to mount the servo. Oops!

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott P View Post
    I opted for the RPM black transmission case. That old gray case just didn't fit with the new black parts. I'm happy with the look, but the casing fit isn't spot on. The back half of the case still had a slight separation after assembly.
    Despite some minor hang ups, things are starting to come together.
    Is there a reason you didnít use the factory part trx3691 which is the black colored gear box cover for some 2wd models?

https://traxxas.com/products/parts/3691

RC Racer
    Hows the castle system is the 2wd I have a hobby wing in y 4x4 lcg
    Last edited by 604Slash4x4; 09-12-2020 at 12:46 AM.

RC Racer
    what brand of metal gears do u use. I need to get a set for my friends

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoBelugas View Post
    Is there a reason you didn’t use the factory part trx3691 which is the black colored gear box cover for some 2wd models?

https://traxxas.com/products/parts/3691
    I like the durability of RPM parts. A bonus of the RPM case that I didn't anticipate is the separate a-arm mounts. You can remove the gearbox and leave the rear suspension mostly in tact.
    I was a little disappointed in the fit of the two halves. There's a very slight gap in the case under the diff. I stretched a piece of electrical tape over it. Shouldn't be a problem.

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by 604Slash4x4 View Post
    Hows the castle system is the 2wd I have a hobby wing in y 4x4 lcg
    I really liked the Castle SCT ESC with the 3800kv Castle motor. Solid, reliable setup. I ran 3s lipo through it two times for a couple of minutes. Almost too fast for the stock slash chassis, and body. Too much flat surface above a lot of moving air lol

With 2s lipo and lower gearing it's perfect. I can't wait to run the SW4

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by 604Slash4x4 View Post
    what brand of metal gears do u use. I need to get a set for my friends
    I went with Traxxas factory gears.

RC Enthusiast
    This came today!

Last edited by Scott P; 09-12-2020 at 11:03 PM.

RC Enthusiast

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast