RC poster

New Maxx owner needs help!

Need advice. My son and i both bought Maxx trucks. local hobby store is almost a 3hour drive so im trying to sort this out and see if i need to get these trucks looked at. First tried HRB brand 4cell batteries. both trucks just stuttered mostly... a finger on the tire would keep it from going. support said maybe the battery. so i borred a brand new Traxxas brand fully charged 3 cell. Situation mad an improvement. On gravel or smooth surface it takes off pretty normal i think(wont pull a wheelie though). But if i start it in grass(about 3 inches long) it barely crawls.If i pump the trigger a couple times quick then sometimes it takes off.Does this in both new trucks. So are the ESC's defective in both? or is this how this truck is with a 3 cell? do i need to put an actual Traxxas brand 4 cell worth$200 to get it to run like all the videos i watched of this truck before i bought it?I would really appreciate any help at all on this. Traxxas support is closed till tuesday as well. Thank you.
    Ill try to attach a videohttps://www.facebook.com/574815783/v...57695366145784
    Last edited by calvin; 09-05-2020 at 02:14 PM.

RC Champion
    3s should scoot
    Wheelie start off
    Yeah 4s is worthy
    eBay $60 4s 5200 50c power hobby
    Maybe recalibrate
    Open link app
    Adjust sensitivity to 0%
    Throttle to 120%
    fabricator

RC poster
    Thanks CrazyXMAXX. I dont have the IQ Link. I did try recalibrating the ESC.Something is for sure wrong. can stop it from taking of with a toe in front of the tire! Odd to have 2 trucks with the same issue.

Do your batteries have a Traxxas connector or are you using an adapter? Recalibrate the ESC.
    The Super Derecho

RC poster
    Actual Traxxas brand 3 cell .And i did try recalibrating the ESC. no change.

Any lights on the ESC when this is happening?

RC poster
    Hi Grizzly. yes the ESC lights up normal.Solid green. i have noticed it does flicker a bit when the stuttering is going on bad.and also another thing odd is the steering servo doesnt always snap back to center right away.10 seconds later it will snap back as if someone touched the transmitter.. or it didnt have the power to return to center.

Bench test: either pull the tires off the truck or put the truck up high enough that they don't touch. Disconnect the steering servo and test the throttle function. For further testing, plug the ESC into CH1 and the steering into CH2 and test. Unplug the servo and test again. Determine if the problem follows the servo or not. Disconnect the servo horn from the servo and manually check the function of the steering system. Then contact Traxxas Customer Service with your results.
    The Super Derecho

Quote Originally Posted by calvin View Post
    Hi Grizzly. yes the ESC lights up normal.Solid green. i have noticed it does flicker a bit when the stuttering is going on bad.and also another thing odd is the steering servo doesnt always snap back to center right away.10 seconds later it will snap back as if someone touched the transmitter.. or it didnt have the power to return to center.
    Turn the multifunction knob to zero. It could possibly be the TSM making the steering servo act differently. My trucks act the same with TSM on.

Check motor connections making sure they are tight.

I'm thinking a call into Traxxas is needed. Since both trucks are acting the same way.
    Last edited by grizzly03; 09-06-2020 at 11:49 AM.

RC poster
    I havent tried to swap the ESC channel. i will try that. and i do have TSM to Zero. Wish i had the IQ link module.. maybe its a setting buried in advanced settings. I have checked bullet esc connectors but not to the extent of peeling back heat shrink to inspect solder joints(dont want to do anything to affect warranty till i get this sorted out. Tried it again this morning and its still not right. once its moving it seems fine..pulls donuts etc.But from a standstill barely any power when you punch it. A finger on a tire.. your toe in front of a tire..grass.. even an incline and it stutters and crawls. Both trucks.. very frustrating!

IMO If two new trucks are acting the exact same, it's something in common. 1st guess would be battery. 2nd bad Esc's. The odds that you have 2 bad servos or motors are slim as they are independent of possible software issues.

RC Champion
    Have you checked the race mode
    training mode 1-3 blinks
    fabricator

RC poster
    i did try 2 different batteries. a HRB brand 4cell and then to rule out the battery i bought a brand new Traxxas brand 3cell(store had no 4cell in stock) issue wasnt quite as bad with the Traxxas 3 cell.But that video i posted in my 1st post of it bairly crawling through the grass is full throttle with the new Traxxas 3 cell.
    And i recalibrated the ESC making sure it was in proper mode.. seems proper. solid green light on endpoints.

https://www.facebook.com/permalink.p...4&id=574815783

https://www.facebook.com/permalink.p...4&id=574815783
    Last edited by Double G; 09-06-2020 at 06:22 PM. Reason: Merge

It acts the same as when a motor wire on my erevo came undone. Looks to be brushless motor cogging from lack of power. It should take off without that jerking, on 3s or 4s.

Do you have a video showing the Esc lights and battery?

I'm a bit skeptical as at first you borrowed a Traxxas battery, then bought one, now videos with everything blocked out of view.
    Last edited by grizzly03; 09-06-2020 at 03:20 PM. Reason: Question

RC poster
    Skeptical? that makes no sense. IM here extremely frustrated at the fact my son and i bought 2 brand new trucks AND a Traxxas charger and brand new battery. And instead of spending the long weekend having fun with them im stuck pulling my hair out .. asking for advice and running out of money.The video is like that because im try to record with my phone in one hand AND squeeze the trigger while holding a finger on the tire! will post another and show the battery..charger..esc lights .to eliminate any skepticism!

https://www.facebook.com/574815783/v...ssed&ref=notif

https://www.facebook.com/574815783/v...57698280630784

https://www.facebook.com/photo?fbid=...57698280370784
    Last edited by Double G; 09-06-2020 at 06:21 PM. Reason: Merge

I'm sorry it's happening. I know how frustrating it is as I've had to deal with similar issues. But if the ESC is defective in both trucks no amount of advice is going to fix them. Everything that has been said/shown points to a power issue.

Looking at the situation from an outside perspective we ask about the batteries and ESC lights and in the video I only see a controller and pinion gear. Battery adapters cause the same issues and many times fixes the problem.

I stand by what I said earlier, 2 trucks with the same issue leads one to say the problem lies in what is the same between the two. The most common thing would be battery/adapters. Second would be a bad batch of electronics. I'm truly sorry for the (double) bad luck.

RC Champion
    Email Traxxas support with video link
    They will get the issues worked out

Sending the items back to Traxxas is the next step
    fabricator

RC Racer

IMHO itís the escís. I bought a Maxx for my son and it had the same issue. Called traxxas and they wanted me to send my truck to them. After a bit of arguing they decided to send out a replacement esc. 1 week later truck runs fine. Fast forward a week. I gout myself a Maxx. Same problem. Called traxxas again. Again argue with them and they sent out a replacement. In the mean time I installed a Castle Sidewinder 8th esc. The truck runs fantastic. Still havenít put the traxxas esc in, and that was over a month ago. The Maxx is known to have esc problems out of the box.

3s should wheelie from standing start and 4s almost does a backflip from start.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RC poster
    Thanks for the response PFongemie .Im packing them up and making a #hour drive tomorrow to the store i got them from and see if they can help.Either 2 defective trucks ..or 2 defective batteries.They seem to really know their stuff so hopefully they can help.I did get a quick email response from Traxxas.IF i do have a warranty issue and if the response i got from Traxxas is true i most certainly will lose my temper! was told that if after i troubleshoot and if it looks like a defective ESC...then because im in Canada i would have to pay $50 for each ESC for the repair! as well as shipping. That better not be correct. These trucks are $850 CDN. Hardly fair to expect the customer to shell out about another 100 bucks to get the product to work properly.Be different if i had the truck for awhile.But defective out of the box.. i shouldnt have to pay!
    You said you installed a Castle sidewinder 8th ESC.Did you replace just the esc? or do you have to also replace the motor? what all did you have to do?

RC poster
    Why im asking is because if Traxxas insists on me paying more money and ship these esc's to be repaired..i would rather not! and im wondering if i can use that money towards buying a different ESC ? Can i do that fairly easily? Leave the existing motor untouched?Will it involve a bunch of reprogramming etc?

RC Champion
    The store should take them back
    Repair / Return / refund / or exchange

Long drive twice for memories
    fabricator

RC Racer

You said you installed a Castle sidewinder 8th ESC.Did you replace just the esc? or do you have to also replace the motor? what all did you have to do?
    Yes just replaced the esc. Made a flat plate from lexan using the traxxas esc as a template. Screwed that in place with shorter screws then double sided tape to hold the sidewinder in. Works great. Motor does not run hot. Gets up and goes as good as stock if not better. $110 each from castleís website. Youíll need to sauder your own battery connector on.

RC poster
    https://webstore.eliminator-rc.com/p...shless?stock=1

This is what the store has in stock. Any suggestions as to the best choice?

RC Racer
    https://webstore.eliminator-rc.com/p...shless?stock=1

This is what the store has in stock. Any suggestions as to the best choice?
    Iím not very familiar with other brands. Iím hooked on Castle Creations products. Although I do have a Tekin in one of my crawlers and itís preformed extremely well, but itís a slow comp crawler so Iím never maxing out the escís electronics. Iíd recommend something rated for a 1/8 scale because of the weight of the Maxx. And make sure it can handle 4s lipos.

RC poster
    UPDATE.
    Made a long road trip to the hobby store i ordered the trucks from.They were awesome! Looked at the trucks right then and there.And it indeed looks like 2 glitchy ESC's right out of the box.They kept the trucks and will call me when they are ready.
    I have found out that us Canadian Traxxas customers deal with the hobby store you bought the product directly.So i was greatful to have such great folks to deal with.Hopefully it doesnt take long.Between waiting for the backorders and now this.. been waiting along time to have fun with these trucks. thanks to all offering advice and help

I'm glad it's getting resolved, sad that you got two bum trucks. I have found that Traxxas does make it right. It stinks that non-USA customers have that extra step. When you get them back you and your son are going to have a blast with them.

RC Enthusiast
    yep, hang in there, it will be worth it.

i got one for my son a month ago and it is all he has talked about since.

RC poster
    I just saw your post. I bought a new Maxx yesterday and it's doing the same thing. Terrible.