RC Competitor

Post GUIDE - 80mm motor fan upgrade for X-Maxx 8s

So in another post, after under 2 weeks of buying my truck, I sheared off one of the blades from one of the internal fans over the motor. No stones or sticks caused it, just poor quality fans.

So I had a spare 80mm high flow 12v pc case fan and it kinda fits over the top of the chassis and just needed to find a way of powering it.

I had a look around and managed to find this little bec On the net that is just about the size of my little finger nail..

https://droneauthority.co.uk/collect...-5v-12v-output

To save hacking away at the power cables, there is a telemetry port of the side of on the esc if you look at it from the side with the front of the truck on the left. If you then use a servo extension lead and take out the white cable and move the black pin to the end so you have red on the left, missing middle pin and black on the right, plug in to the bottom row with the red pin on the far left. This will power the bec and will start the fan when the batteries are plugged in.

I have then soldered the connections to the bec, used heat shrink solder connections for the fan to the bec cable as an extension is needed to the standard fan cables and put some heat shrink over the bec and stored it in the receiver box.

Here’s a few photos of the process...

I do have a fan grill coming from amazon that if fine enough to stop stones and debris, link below...

SilverStone SST-FF81B - 80mm Fan Grille and Dust Filter, black https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0040JHMHQ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_rU.uFb68AP580

I hope this helps someone out and will post a few updates to let you know how all is going.

Thanks,

Hal

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by hallamnet View Post
    So in another post, after under 2 weeks of buying my truck, I sheared off one of the blades from one of the internal fans over the motor. No stones or sticks caused it, just poor quality fans.

So I had a spare 80mm high flow 12v pc case fan and it kinda fits over the top of the chassis and just needed to find a way of powering it.

I had a look around and managed to find this little bec On the net that is just about the size of my little finger nail..

https://droneauthority.co.uk/collect...-5v-12v-output

To save hacking away at the power cables, there is a telemetry port of the side of on the esc if you look at it from the side with the front of the truck on the left. If you then use a servo extension lead and take out the white cable and move the black pin to the end so you have red on the left, missing middle pin and black on the right, plug in to the bottom row with the red pin on the far left. This will power the bec and will start the fan when the batteries are plugged in.

I have then soldered the connections to the bec, used heat shrink solder connections for the fan to the bec cable as an extension is needed to the standard fan cables and put some heat shrink over the bec and stored it in the receiver box.

Here’s a few photos of the process...

I do have a fan grill coming from amazon that if fine enough to stop stones and debris, link below...

SilverStone SST-FF81B - 80mm Fan Grille and Dust Filter, black https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0040JHMHQ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_rU.uFb68AP580

I hope this helps someone out and will post a few updates to let you know how all is going.

Thanks,

Hal
    Well mate, you install the same fan as me, but I use two of this. Better temps overall.

RC Competitor
    So, bit of an update.

The fan I installed in the photo kinda broke due to me so had to get a new one. Before I got the cover for the top of the fan, I took it out and one of the XT90's managed to find its way to the fan during a jump off of one of the burns @ my local bmx park in Market Deeping.

So i had a good look around and managed to find this:-

https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/axial-fans/1938662/

It has the voltage range of 6V to 15v so could be used without the bec but miht not be as powerfull. I am still running mine with the little bec and all is running a lot cooler. I barely get over 100 according to the Traxxas temp gauge on the smartphone app. It is a little loud but cools my motor like a fridge does to a can of coke!

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by hallamnet View Post
    So, bit of an update.

The fan I installed in the photo kinda broke due to me so had to get a new one. Before I got the cover for the top of the fan, I took it out and one of the XT90's managed to find its way to the fan during a jump off of one of the burns @ my local bmx park in Market Deeping.

So i had a good look around and managed to find this:-

https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/axial-fans/1938662/

It has the voltage range of 6V to 15v so could be used without the bec but miht not be as powerfull. I am still running mine with the little bec and all is running a lot cooler. I barely get over 100 according to the Traxxas temp gauge on the smartphone app. It is a little loud but cools my motor like a fridge does to a can of coke!

Nice stuff mate, thanks for the link.

RC Qualifier
    Thanks for the idea.

I have several different fans with different speeds so I will try and balance airflow and noise.

I am also going to glue a piece of screen material over the metal bracket to keep grass and gravel out.

My closest drive location has an old ball field with fine gravel. Perfect for drift turn and donuts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk