RC poster

Traxxas Stampede 4X4 VXL Motor or ESC Issue.

i was running the rc and everything was going great then out of no where it stopped running , the battery that was in it wont charge and if i put in a new battery it will eityher not run at all or do what its doing in this video ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=By-r...ature=youtu.be ) the batteries i use are 2S lipo batteries. i have it geared proper to what traxxas says to usae for 2S. along with the major stuttering both the motor and esc super heat when plugged in now if plugged in for longer then 5 minutes.

Hard to tell really. The sound from that video sounds like you might have stripped a gear in one of the differentials.

That is odd that your motor and ESC are heating up. I would try to re-calibrate your ESC and controller, to make sure that the motor is in fact idle when the throttle is neutral. Otherwise it might actually be sending power to the motor - not enough to move the truck, but still enough to heat things up. With sensorless brushless setups you do have a bit of a dead-band at very low throttle.

RC poster
    the thing is that it ran wonderfully before this happened, there would be no play or stuttering when going low speeds other then going as slow as possible up hill, and both difs are in good shape along with the main gearing and everything. i did drive through a puddle and continued driving after that but then a few hours later when i went to drive it again it was all messed up like i the video once i got it to actually move after resetting the ESC and remote.

Check your motor wire connectors. My have one that is almost falling out or got hot and cooked the solder off it.
    https://www.youtube.com/c/olds97lss

I agree with olds97_lss. It sounds like intermittent power like a loose wire or broken solder point.

RC Competitor
    My castle system is doing this exact same thing. I have to send it back for inspection.

Happened randomly....just like yours

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by zedorda View Post
    I agree with olds97_lss. It sounds like intermittent power like a loose wire or broken solder point.
    Forgot to mention, I had a break in the battery lead on the esc that was 75% break of the wire inside the insulation. It was allowing enough current to flow for very little throttle, but when I tried increasing throttle, it would chatter and act all weird. It was from my bad solder job that wicked solder up the wire, then it work hardened/broke the wire eventually.

Might want to bend the wires in your hand to see if you feel a weak spot, may have cracked like mine did. Cutting the wire and resoldering the end fixed it. Could be a similar issue on the motor wires. Kind of annoying to look for though.
    https://www.youtube.com/c/olds97lss

RC Qualifier
    I did a High Reliability Soldering class in the Air Force. Itís actually a complicated process. We used to inspect the connections under a magnifying glass.

All lessons learned in the early aviation and space programs.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Dmarzke View Post
    I did a High Reliability Soldering class in the Air Force. Itís actually a complicated process. We used to inspect the connections under a magnifying glass.

All lessons learned in the early aviation and space programs.

So even though a solder may look ok to the untrained naked eye.... it could still be the cause of intermittent power? If this is the case Iíll redo ever connection at my nearest NFA lol

I believe it. Thanks

RC poster
    so i have taken a bunch of stuff apart and to me nothing looks wrong, i can not look inside the esc because it is filled with epoxy tho. i have found sometimes forwards does not work at all and when you attempt reverse the motor stays still in place and you can not spin it as though the break is activated and when there is no throttle its free spinning. the blue (a) and yellow (b) wires also seem to be repelling each other when you put it in reverse when it seems that the break engages only. when forwards does work reverse acts the same as when forwards does not work where it seems as though the break is engaged and forwards will sometimes randomly seem to engage the break. when im saying it seems like the break is engaging im meaning it feels like holding magnets near each other and trying to push negative ends together kind of.