Question Best street tires?

I'm looking for a set of street tires for my 4x4 rustler vxl and am wondering what the best ones to get are.

The set I'm eyeing currently are the proline streetfighter. What recommendations do all of you have?

What kind for street running are you planning to do? General street bashing, parking lot racing (autocross), speed runs...?
    Creativity is intelligence having fun. -Einstein

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by yogertdog View Post
    I'm looking for a set of street tires for my 4x4 rustler vxl and am wondering what the best ones to get are.

The set I'm eyeing currently are the proline streetfighter. What recommendations do all of you have?
    I personally bought, 4 new P.L. Badlands Mx M22 tires, along with 2 regular Traxxas All-star, Black Chrome, and 2 offset wheels of the same brand/model....first run, ok, not too thrilled, second rub, L.F. tire apparently broke the glue-hold, and tore half-way down the center of the tread line..smdh. emailed ProLine, and they are going to be somewhat generous and decently-discount me a new set of 4 pre-mounts, as they said, we no longer sell that model of THAT tire, nor do we sell it in THAT packaging!, We have changed colors on our packaging ..i digress.

Then, i went and bought 4 of these Street fighter 2.8" tires, along with 4 new traxxas wheels, ****, the name forgets me now, ugh, see attached pics, the black, 6 spoke wheels!, Mounted em, waited like MAYBE 1hr and a few min...took em out on 3s, speed pinion(17t), and got one.5 passes, as during the half-second-pass, going straight down the road, again, L.F. tire glue failed, and "pushed out" a bit of foam (foam was un-damaged, just squeezed a bit out of the torn tire, but i stopped, and retrieved my model as soon as i noticed the bulging tire, so no further damage was done, clean off the bead, re-glue (been using Bob Smith Industries Ultra-cure medium CA/tire glue). Found a few other "weak spots" on other three wheels, so patch em up, let the rig sit over-night, come out next morning, re-apply ro any missed, seperating spots, re-do my bead glue-ring, get off work, come home, (approx. 4-ish PM), find another few spots that need a re-do, fixed those, waited for maybe an hour tops, go for a box stock (11t) pinion ride up and down my street (asphalt), the street fighters are great!...grip-wise...for me, but idk if im just not used to traxxas style beads, or what, but at near-top-speed, my Rust would get what looks like a scale form of "death wobble"!! Truck rocks from side to side violently, seemingly from the sidewalls being so tall?? and the only fix (pray u dont have TSM enabled) is to buy a new set of Talon EXT pre-mount from TRAXXAS!
    I love the street fighters, and was SO stoked to buy em, but they, and probably a slightly sloppy servo/servo-saver, and caster block wear...the wobble was scary, as one wrong move would have you upside-down, like 8 houses down the road, at their front door!

Long story short, been disappointed in ProLine tires since my first investment...and they AREN'T cheap!!

I might try the belted badlands, belted anything, really!...and see if i have better luck? Turns out, those badlands I bought have been super-ceded, and are no longer made, so im told they have probably been on shelf at LHS for too long and thats why they failed...also, i painted the talon factory wheel-tire AFTER they failed, just trying new paint,

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Trx4newb; 09-05-2020 at 07:20 PM.

RC Enthusiast
    If finding 2.8" beadlocks was easy..... Id have done it first thing when box-stock tires failed me!

Just general street bashing. Dont think I want full slicks but just somthing for road use so I dont wear out my talons unnecessarily.

RC Enthusiast
    First pic has mounted street fighter, along with the other 3 in the background

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by yogertdog View Post
    Just general street bashing. Dont think I want full slicks but just somthing for road use so I dont wear out my talons unnecessarily.
    Tire are great, grip-wise, and wear-wise, but they are NOT TSM rated, nor are they belted, which causes (with the high-sidewall) a speed wobble at around 32 mph....no bueno

RC Qualifier
    That sounds like you need to check your front diff since your left front keeps blowing, you might need thicker diff fluid to keep one side from spinning too fast. I have never had this kind of blowouts with proline tires.

Creativity is intelligence having fun. -Einstein

RC Competitor
    Anacondas are nice tires, good grip when they warm up but still slip just a little in tight turns preventing some flipping. I'm currently running proline primes, their slicks. I really like them for parking lot racing. Again have great traction when warm and slip a bit more than the anacondas in turns. Jconcepts makes a g-lock tire that I'd like to try but have no experience with them yet. Hope that helps a little
    Rustler 4x4 powered by MambaX

Quote Originally Posted by Jrz13 View Post
    Anacondas are nice tires, good grip when they warm up but still slip just a little in tight turns preventing some flipping. I'm currently running proline primes, their slicks. I really like them for parking lot racing. Again have great traction when warm and slip a bit more than the anacondas in turns. Jconcepts makes a g-lock tire that I'd like to try but have no experience with them yet. Hope that helps a little
    yeah, i borrowed a buddies old anacondas but they where fairly old so the rubber has probably hardend quite a bit since new but they wherent bad.

I pulled the trigger on a set of the duratrax banditos and once they get in ill let you know how they turn out.

RC Competitor
    Check those duratrax when you get them. Im pretty sure they come mounted but not glued. I saw some complaints elsewhere about them not coming glued. Thats why i dropped the coin for proline tires
    Rustler 4x4 powered by MambaX

I've had really good luck using the stock Stampede 4x4 VXL tires on my rustler. Despite being the stock tires from a monster truck, they are actually pretty terrible off-road. Running on the street is about the only thing they are actually good at. They give great traction at low speeds. They do balloon quite a bit at high speeds, but at least that ballooning increases your maximum speed. My Rustler has won quite a few drag races using those tires.

https://traxxas.com/products/parts/3669a

RC Racer
    I would recommend the proline street fighters, they work well on my 2wd rusty.

RC Qualifier
    If you do nothing but pavement, try the proline prime 2.8 mt tires too. They are a little slippery on dusty or cold surfaces but it is very entertaining once it hooks up with the pavement and the quiet menacing buzzing sound it makes is hilarious.

RC Racer
    To keep tires from self-destructing, you can do the tape mod and turn them into poor man's belted tires.

https://www.instructables.com/id/How...Tape-RC-Tires/

yeah ive been using the banditos for a little while now, I got the STs so they are a little thinner than the MTs

So far I like em, id say on pavement the traction is about as good as my talons but the pavement doesn't tear em up like it does to the talons, they don't seem to balloon much especially since they are not belted.

and yes they did come preglued