RC Racer

Differential grease or oil?

Should i use a grease or an oil for my internal gears things?

I have plenty of grease and if i could use that then it would make maintaining the diff so much easier
    Sent from my LM-X420 using Tapatalk
    "Speed and power solve many things"

I just use grease for my diffs. Differential oil is more for a more specific tune for the diffs. There's not any real benefits to using oil over grease, other than it is easier to tune the diffs, so I think grease should be fine, unless you want to have a specific setup for the diffs.
    Everyday's a gift, thus now is called the present.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by RCWilly View Post
    I just use grease for my diffs. Differential oil is more for a more specific tune for the diffs. There's not any real benefits to using oil over grease, other than it is easier to tune the diffs.
    Yeeeeees so i can just pour Mobil 1 grease everywhere 8)

RC Racer
    You asked if you should not if you can. Of course you “can” but you lose performance. You don’t exactly change out diff oil very often and it’s very cheap anyways. While I get you already have grease lying around but spending a couple bucks to get something that will make the car run so much better makes it well worth it in my opinion.

My nitro rustler doesn’t have the option of a sealed diff and I have to run grease there. The sealed diff and tunable fluid I can use on my slash makes a huge difference in performance.

You can use grease but it is not the best solution. If you just want to play with your model and have abit of fun but don't have the interest in having precise control like a competitive racer. Then yeah don't worry about using silicon oil in the diff. But be aware that most grease has lots of thermal expansion so don't ever fill a sealed diff with grease. Diffs do get quite warm more so with just grease in them.

But if done correctly and serviced properly grease will not damage anything.

RC Qualifier
    I don’t race so I run fairly heavy oil (500k and up) in my diffs to create a limited slip effect and it really helps power getting to all 4 wheels rather than having one wheel diff out in turns or under acceleration. YMMV.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by zedorda View Post
    You can use grease but it is not the best solution. If you just want to play with your model and have abit of fun but don't have the interest in having precise control like a competitive racer. Then yeah don't worry about using silicon oil in the diff. But be aware that most grease has lots of thermal expansion so don't ever fill a sealed diff with grease. Diffs do get quite warm more so with just grease in them.

But if done correctly and serviced properly grease will not damage anything.
    Im putting just enough grease to lubricate everything and the gear things

If you drop a good dab on each gear while your putting it together and then another on each when its all together, you should be fine. Spin it and watch the grease circulate. If you feel like its not enough its probably not. Just add a small dab again and youll be fine. It doesnt take a lot.

But i use 100,000 diff oil. Keeps the diff about 5% to 15% open when turning sharp and its about 75% fully locked on launches.

Sent from my LGL722DL using Tapatalk

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Calebs0615 View Post
    If you drop a good dab on each gear while your putting it together and then another on each when its all together, you should be fine. Spin it and watch the grease circulate. If you feel like its not enough its probably not. Just add a small dab again and youll be fine. It doesnt take a lot.

But i use 100,000 diff oil. Keeps the diff about 5% to 15% open when turning sharp and its about 75% fully locked on launches.

The grease i have isn't thin at all ha
    Lol

Quote Originally Posted by LargeCar1999 View Post
    The grease i have isn't thin at all ha
    Lol

You'll probably be just fine. The thicker you put in, the more "locked" action your going to get.

Sounds like people are jumping between diff housing and diff carrier.

Grease is for the diff housing.
    Diff oil is for the diff carrier.

Which “internal gear things” are you asking about?
    Creativity is intelligence having fun. -Einstein

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Squeegie View Post
    Sounds like people are jumping between diff housing and diff carrier.

Grease is for the diff housing.
    Diff oil is for the diff carrier.

Which “internal gear things” are you asking about?
    These things

I think my stock platinum had grease in the rear, and 30k maybe in the front? I changed to 50K front and rear and it made a huge difference. May even go up to 75K on the front and see how that runs.

The only time I put grease in a sealed differential assembly was when I was camping and didn't have supplies. It was in my Traxxas Summit and it definitely changed how it acted. It became a "one wheel peel" type of driving. Grease basically made it into an open diff type characteristics.

Diff carrier.

Use diff oil. What weight you use is by preference.
    Test test test...

Have fun!

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Squeegie View Post
    Diff carrier.

Use diff oil. What weight you use is by preference.
    Test test test...

Have fun!
    I do have thick grease and it wouldn't be full of grease and my truck does driv

RC Racer
    I do have thick grease and it wouldn't be full of grease and my truck does driv

My truck came with watery grease stuff in both diffs

My truck came with watery grease stuff in both diffs
    That stuff is silicone diff fluid.

According to page 29 in the manual for the Slash 4x4:

From the factory, the front differential is filled with SAE 30,000W (30K) viscosity silicone oil. The rear differential is filled with grease, but can also be tuned with silicone differential oil. Only use silicone oil in the differentials.
    https://traxxas.com/sites/default/fi...-OM-EN-R06.pdf

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by grizzly03 View Post
    That stuff is silicone diff fluid.
    No the black greasy stuff

Though it probably got alittle more watery when i ran it through the rain

Ill just do away with the big o ring seal thing and not have it sealed and only use grease
    Last edited by LargeCar1999; 09-06-2020 at 08:47 PM.

No the black greasy stuff

Though it probably got alittle more watery when i ran it through the rain

Ill just do away with the big o ring seal thing and not have it sealed and only use grease
    FWIW: The "stuff" that's in with the gears in your post #12 picture (internal diff gears) is either Silicone oil (front) or Silicone grease (rear). Both are clear when new and turn black from use.

Also Silicone oil/grease and Petroleum oil/grease don't mix well.

Traxxas stock diff grease is silicon:

https://traxxas.com/products/parts/1647

RC Racer
    Silicon diff oil will probably be thicker than any typical auto or marine grease. Don’t let it fool you because it seems more solid than differential oil. The diff oil is very “gummy”.

The oil is. It for lubrication but for resistance. More resistance(aka weight), the less differential action. If you want both wheels to spin relatively at the same speed when turning or in loose traction, you want heavier weight to reduce the diff action. The grease on the outside housing is for lubrication.

For the diff housing, I use automotive Peak high-temp red grease on the gears.

Others have used Lucas Red-n-Tacky or marine grease.

For the inside of the differential, I use differential fluid. On the rear 500,000! On the ring and pinion gears of the differential i use marine grease.
    Member of the 10,000 + posts club! Here to help!

FWIW: The "stuff" that's in with the gears in your post #12 picture (internal diff gears) is either Silicone oil (front) or Silicone grease (rear). Both are clear when new and turn black from use.

Also Silicone oil/grease and Petroleum oil/grease don't mix well.
    New unused Traxxas Slash 4x4 do come with more than only the clear silicone grease. I personally have opened diffs from 2 unused rigs straight from the box with black grease in the rear diff. FYI not all black grease is petroleum based. Traxxas silicone grease comes in afew colors as in but not limited to green, white, clear, orange, and black. I have only seen clear or black in new diffs myself.

New unused Traxxas Slash 4x4 do come with more than only the clear silicone grease. I personally have opened diffs from 2 unused rigs straight from the box with black grease in the rear diff. FYI not all black grease is petroleum based. Traxxas silicone grease comes in afew colors as in but not limited to green, white, clear, orange, and black. I have only seen clear or black in new diffs myself.
    I have only seen the clear silicone grease in my Traxxas products. I haven't seen the green, orange, or white silicone grease from Traxxas. If you have a part# that would be appreciated.
    (FWIW in the parts list only grease #1647,5148 are listed as being used in the slash 4x4)

Here is the ones (grease) Traxxas sells: https://traxxas.com/search?keyword=grease
    #1647-silicone grease
    #5148-white lithium grease
    #5748-marine grease (Spartan,DCB M41 only)
    #5041-premium grease (Erevo,Xmaxx,Maxx,Trx4)

Also I never said all black grease was petroleum based FYI, I only said Petroleum and Silicone don't mix. Why the assumption?

I personally have opened diffs from 2 unused rigs straight from the box with black grease in the rear diff.
    Myself as well. My new in box (in summer 2019) PE Slash 4x4 got the XO-1 diff treatment before the first battery was installed and it had black grease inside the rear diff cup. It now has 5,000 wt diff fluid.
    The Super Derecho

I'm curious to what type of grease that is. I've never seen black silicone grease.

I'm curious to what type of grease that is. I've never seen black silicone grease.
    I don't think the other greases I listed are products sold by Traxxas. They are Traxxas allowed substitutes that can be used as a backup when the standard grease supplied by Traxxas is out of stock for whatever reason.