RC poster

1/16 e-revo mods for the newb

Just getting started in this amazing hobby and Iím loving my e-revo! As many newbs Iíve already started getting excited about aftermarket parts. As a car guy whoís built race cars, street cars and stuff I get just as excited about building a custom car with an RC as I do a real car. SO, Iíd love some advice on whatís good and whatís not! I just busted a front a arm. Iíve already googled my self down a rabbit hole on doing a full aluminum build. Iíve already gathered that some parts are not great while some are. I donít want to build a car that looks cool but ends up being too heavy. I do want to build a car that looks cool, goes fast, and drives great. Can you guys point me towards some great mods that make sense? Looking for some experienced people to chime in and tell me if they had a stock 1/16 e revo, what would you add to make your dream car?

Congrats and welcome to the Traxxas forums!

For A-arms, I use RPM in the front and Traxxas 1/16 Summit A-arms in the rear to extend the wheelbase 10mm.

Have fun!
    Creativity is intelligence having fun. -Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Jgardner View Post
    Just getting started in this amazing hobby and Iím loving my e-revo! As many newbs Iíve already started getting excited about aftermarket parts. As a car guy whoís built race cars, street cars and stuff I get just as excited about building a custom car with an RC as I do a real car. SO, Iíd love some advice on whatís good and whatís not! I just busted a front a arm. Iíve already googled my self down a rabbit hole on doing a full aluminum build. Iíve already gathered that some parts are not great while some are. I donít want to build a car that looks cool but ends up being too heavy. I do want to build a car that looks cool, goes fast, and drives great. Can you guys point me towards some great mods that make sense? Looking for some experienced people to chime in and tell me if they had a stock 1/16 e revo, what would you add to make your dream car?
    Welcome.

Did you get the vxl version or are you brushed motor? Is it a new model or used? 2s or 3s batteries?

Also the fourms are you posted on is for the 1/10 erevo. There is a section for 1/16. It's more for all the 1/16 cars as most use all the same parts.

What's your goal with the car? Just bashing? Racing ? Speed runs? As you tweak things for each play style and terrain.

Aluminum should be used sparingly and imho only in places that they won't be prone to bending. If speed running it can help keep things tighter.

Rpm a arms are great.

Aluminum hub carriers or at minimum the threaded inserts for the pivot balls. I got the rpm version and I don't care for them. And my pivot balls pull out often now.

A yeah racing motor heat sink and fan if your brushless. To help keep temps down. Keep you motor and esc under 170į f. Get temp sensors or a ir temp gun.

Blue tooth module for tx. To use link app on phone. To access added sensors.

If want speed / rpm monitering on link app you have to get spur gears with magnetic holder magnet sensors and cover.

I hear tbone chassis skids and bumpers are helpful if bashing and skate parks I've yet to get one as was out of stock when I last looked for one. but hear it helps keeps from diffs blowing when at skate park as stiffens up chassis

There's a few posts on what people did to get the sloop out of the steering. I don't remember at moment.

I like badland tires for bashing. For when you need some.

If doing bigger air and skate parks. Get summit spring as they are stiffer. And 60wt oil. For me in setting my spring preload. I down the car down till chassis is on ground and then preload till springs are just about fully compressed.
    If your racing will want to do your suspension different.

I like more locked diffs. So I put 150k wt oil vs the stock 10k /30k wt

The center diff is locked stock some like upgrading to having a open diff.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk