RC poster

Question Redoing Differentials - Is Carson Silicon Diff Oil a good alternative?

Hello all!

I bought a 2nd hand (technically 3rd hand) Traxxas Stampede 4x4 and I'm redoing a lot of the parts to make sure it's in good condition before I start driving. Currently, I'm redoing the diffs, and I'm looking to buy the silicone diff fluid.

I found a site in Europe (where I'm based) that sells Carson Silicone Diff Oil. Has anyone used this before? I would prefer using Team Factory, but it's more expensive and harder to come by. It seems like Carson Motor Sports might just be relabling some other brand.

Here is links to the products:

Does anyone have any experience with this oil? I don't want to put the wrong fluid in the diff. The alternative for me is to put Team Factory 10K in both front and rear diffs.

Thanks!
    Hein

I have not tested their product but they use cst units to measure the silicone oil weight so it should have predictable performance. Silicone oil is a pretty simple product and you shouldn't have anything to worry about being wrong about it for your model.

RC poster
    Thanks! I will go with that then. I have another question, should I redo the shocks as well? And how stiff should I make them?

The back shocks are much stiffer than the front. Should they be equally stiff? And how stiff should they be?

This probably depends on your driving style, but I just want to know if it's good enough. I will likely just do slight of roading to start with.

On monster trucks I like softer shocks. Unless you want to race just setup them how you like to run the truck. Stiffer is normally for faster running on harder surfaces. I would suggest better springs if you have the bad dual rate springs but I think they save those for the slash.

The rears are commonly stiffer to reduce squatting on launch. Which is where the rear end drops on heavy launch throttle.

Best plan is to drive it afew times and discover what you want to change. Once you have something you want to correct come back and ask if you don't know how to accomplish those changes.

There are several here who love to offer solutions. Some more adventurous than others. While some are highly jaded after being burned by a brand one time. Good luck.