RC poster

Rustler 4x4 VXL Body Damage from Shocks

So, I got a brand new Rustler 4x4 VXL but a few days ago. Haven't taken it out yet, but I've been "practising" removing the body, as it's the first time I've used the clipless body shells.

However, literally after removing it the first time, I noticed a lot of scuffing on the underside near the front, where it comes into contact with the top of the shocks (largely, the screws).

Now, after removing the body a few more times, the paints has been scratched off the body in the small area that hits the top of the shocks.

No matter how gentle I am at removing the front end of the body, it always scratches against the body and the top of the shocks.

I was planning to purchase a clear shell and paint it my own colour, but am how hesitant to do so in case it receives the same damage.

I have moved the shocks to the inner-most point on the shock tower, but it still hits the body, and it's upset the suspension compared to the rear.

Is this kind of damage normal for these bodies? Or has mine been setup incorrectly in some way? Further more.. is there a knack to removing the body shell without causing this damage?

Any help... please and thank you!

Last edited by PureChaosX; 09-06-2020 at 09:37 AM.

Have you been in RC long? The only time(s) the body will look perfect is straight out of the box or freshly painted; they will stay that way if placed on the shelf. Otherwise the paint will start to wear off almost immediately due to rubbing.
    The Super Derecho

Congrats on your purchase and welcome to the Traxxas forums!

Best thing you can do is use Gorilla Tape (or similar) and line the inside of the body where it would make contact with anything to prevent rubbing issues.

Have fun!
    Creativity is intelligence having fun. -Einstein

I agree that the Gorilla tape works. It helps prevent that wear through the paint. Been doing that for years and it works great. Anywhere the body needs that extra little protection from rubbing gets a piece of tape to protect it.

RC poster
    Double G: Roughly 11 years, htough I've only ever owned Tamiya in that time, as kits and clear bodies. This is my first Traxxas, first pre-built and first pre-painted body. But granted, even my freshly painted Tamiya bodies don't last that long when I use it for the first or second time.

Squeegie: Many thanks! Oddly enough, I actually tried that as one of the first things. However, the Gorilla tape was ever so slightly too thick and actually made it almost impossible to remove the body, as it prevented the body from getting past the top of the shocks. When I did get it off, the Gorilla tape was ripped where it came into contact. But I definitely might give it another shot if I paint my own clear body.

Grizzly03: I'll definitely try an apply Gorilla tape to other areas of the body, where ever it looks like it could rub, I kinda want the body to last a long while.

Aluminum foil (HVAC) tape works great as well... and not as thick!
    Creativity is intelligence having fun. -Einstein

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Squeegie View Post
    Aluminum foil (HVAC) tape works great as well... and not as thick!
    Good idea. I bought some last night since I don't have any. Should be here soon. I have gotten a technique down to remove the body without scratching against the top of the shocks... I just hope I can remember to do it that way each and every time.

Quote Originally Posted by PureChaosX View Post
    Good idea. I bought some last night since I don't have any. Should be here soon. I have gotten a technique down to remove the body without scratching against the top of the shocks... I just hope I can remember to do it that way each and every time.
    Once you start running it, the paint will rub off on each side where it contacts the chassis as well. Don't worry too much about it. It'll have plenty of scratches after a few runs.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by PureChaosX View Post
    *dead!*

...dead-truth!!

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by McCreary View Post
    Once you start running it, the paint will rub off on each side where it contacts the chassis as well. Don't worry too much about it. It'll have plenty of scratches after a few runs.
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ what @McCreary said!!! Even box stock roof skids, etc...ive had to patch minor holes on the front AND rear of my new-to-me rustler 4x4 vxl! I use shoe goo and have had gool luck, even repaired my neighbor's Slash 2wd, when he hit a mailbox, and broke the bottom of his lower A-arm, to where the OUTER hinge pin had broke in HALF, horizontally! Patched with shoe goo, amd it ran for 20 min, before the jumping started

4-6 jumps in (1ft launch, 2 ft and a few inches of air, 36", - , roughly 8' long air-time/landing.... it gave away , but its a GREAT temp-fix that DOES-INDEED get you rolling again!

I digress.

My 4x4 Rusty vxl had scratches after 10 min on first 3s pack!

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk