RC poster

Troubleshooting TRX-4 Bronco

New here and new to RC in general so pls bear with me. I picked up a new TRX-4 Bronco last month and had it out a handful of times at a local park. I've been relatively gentle with it although being new at crawling it's been rolled a few times as well as a handful of rock impacts. I noticed today that when trying to perform a tight turn in either direction there's a noise coming from either the drivetrain or possibly front axle? In conjunction with this front wheels stop turning smoothly and they seem to stutter a bit is the best way I can explain it. Only happens with the wheel cut fully in either direction. I thought the tires may be rubbing against something but there doesn't appear to be any improper contact with suspension components or anything like that. Hard to tell where the noise/clicking is originating.
    I know this may be a poor way to explain and I apologize as I'm not super familiar with the components yet to easily isolate the issue. Please let me know if you've any ideas. Thanks much.
    Last edited by chuckdeezz; 09-06-2020 at 07:22 PM.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckdeezz View Post
    New here and new to RC in general so pls bear with me. I picked up a new TRX-4 Bronco last month and had it out a handful of times at a local park. I've been relatively gentle with it although being new at crawling it's been rolled a few times as well as a handful of rock impacts. I noticed today that when trying to perform a tight turn in either direction there's a noise coming from either the drivetrain or possibly front axle? In conjunction with this front wheels stop turning smoothly and they seem to stutter a bit is the best way I can explain it. Only happens with the wheel cut fully in either direction. I thought the tires may be rubbing against something but there doesn't appear to be any improper contact with suspension components or anything like that. Hard to tell where the noise/clicking is originating.
    I know this may be a poor way to explain and I apologize as I'm not super familiar with the components yet to easily isolate the issue. Please let me know if you've any ideas. Thanks much.
    Do you think it might be that your differentials are locked?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RC poster
    Differentials are not locked. I made sure to try in all positions.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckdeezz View Post
    Differentials are not locked. I made sure to try in all positions.
    You might have to set the end points on the steering to a tiny bit smaller turning radius. The servo can turn too far for the components from factory.

That happens to both of mines when I turn the steering all the way. That's the problem with the dog-bone driveshafts, and there isn't really a way to fix it, unless you set the steering endpoints. It bothered be a whole lot at first, so I tried everything to make it smooth. Grease makes it a bit smoother, but that was all, and I didn't want to lose the 45 degree steering angle, so I just got used to it.

This also happens to any other car that has front dog-bone driveshafts. My 4 Tec 2.0 does it after I did the increased steering mod, and my UDR does it too.
    Last edited by RCWilly; 09-06-2020 at 08:23 PM.
    Everyday's a gift, thus now is called the present.

RC Competitor
    why not take the axles apart they are probably begging for some grease anyway

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by chris5100 View Post
    why not take the axles apart they are probably begging for some grease anyway
    Yeah. Ethan Boening does a great axle greasing guide.

Yeah, happens to all the TRX axles, it's just the way their designed, Its just the parts in the CVDs rubbing. This can be fixed easily by adjusting the steering endpoints so they don't rub, but like RCWilly said, you do lose some steering angle. What I do is just run them as is, except I try to avoid full steering lock unless I really need it.
    Jumping: maneuver and pray it won't break.