RC Competitor

3d printed differentials

Hey guy's I'm trying to save weight on my 12s race 6x6 and I came up with the idea 3d printed differential gears that will be made of nylon x or polycarbonate filament thoughts?

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

There might be some exotic materials out there that would allow this, but all of the "normal" stuff just would not last long, if at all under normal power, to say nothing of the stresses of 12S. Plus, you'll likely need to upgrade the diffs to something heavier to withstand the stress.
    Submarine Qualified, Chief Inducted, Navy Retired

Nylon is generally more wear-resistant than polycarbonate, but polycarbonate is tougher and is more heat resistant. I'd go with nylon gears, except, there really isn't a commonly 3D printable plastic out there that will last very long as a gear, no matter the amount of grease you use, especially with 12s. I'd find some metal gears, and then design a case for the, in CAD and print them. There are plenty of differential options out there, and with some CAD skills, you could model one up. Stock TRX6 axles are really tough though, and I doubt even 12s can easily break them. I'd try using the stock axles before making a whole new diff.
    Jumping: maneuver and pray it won't break.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Greatscott View Post
    There might be some exotic materials out there that would allow this, but all of the "normal" stuff just would not last long, if at all under normal power, to say nothing of the stresses of 12S. Plus, you'll likely need to upgrade the diffs to something heavier to withstand the stress.
    It lasted for a while in a car differential I think rc diffs will be fine

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by TITANIUM94010 View Post
    Nylon is generally more wear-resistant than polycarbonate, but polycarbonate is tougher and is more heat resistant. I'd go with nylon gears, except, there really isn't a commonly 3D printable plastic out there that will last very long as a gear, no matter the amount of grease you use, especially with 12s. I'd find some metal gears, and then design a case for the, in CAD and print them. There are plenty of differential options out there, and with some CAD skills, you could model one up. Stock TRX6 axles are really tough though, and I doubt even 12s can easily break them. I'd try using the stock axles before making a whole new diff.
    I think It would last pretty long the only thing I would worry about is layer adhesion but I can run it over with glue

RC Competitor
    I think there are way more easier things to shave down before you start worrying about the gears being a few grams lighter

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by chris5100 View Post
    I think there are way more easier things to shave down before you start worrying about the gears being a few grams lighter
    Well I'm building a race truck since I got bored with my air suspension trx6 and the goal is to out handle any touring car so every gram counts

Quote Originally Posted by jemelumadu2 View Post
    Well I'm building a race truck since I got bored with my air suspension trx6 and the goal is to out handle any touring car so every gram counts

Well, I mean like metal gears don't weight that much, and even if they did, they are keeping your center of gravity down low. I would suggest lightening off the things that can be easily lightened, like removing fenders, ect, and then see if you like the way it handles. Then, you can decide on the smaller parts like gears.

Honestly, I feel like plastic gears are not the way to go, they're just not durable enough, and the difference between weight is trivial at best.
    Jumping: maneuver and pray it won't break.