RC Enthusiast

Question Progressive Springs Worth It?

Good evening Team,

I have been doing some research and wanted to see what my pals on the forum thought.

I have a 2wd Stampede that I mostly drive on road with an occasional trek to a construction site

What are the pros and cons of using progressive springs on stock Traxxas shocks with standard 30WT oil driving my truck?

As always, Thanks!

Ed

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by StampedeMachine View Post
    Good evening Team,
    I have been doing some research and wanted to see what my pals on the forum thought.
    I have a 2wd Stampede that I mostly drive on road with an occasional trek to a construction site
    What are the pros and cons of using progressive springs on stock Traxxas shocks with standard 30WT oil driving my truck?
    As always, Thanks!
    Ed
    Better off to increase the weight of your oil first.
    Progressives tend to sag more so your static ride height will be lower.
    It will handle differently with more body roll. Need heavier oil for sure.
    I find the stock springs to be quite good on the Stampede

I have the big bore shocks and i cant complain with how well they work. Ive put 50wt in the front and keep 30wt in the back and it handles really well.

Sent from my LGL722DL using Tapatalk

RC Qualifier
    The progressive springs come in a variety of tensions so if you want to experiment with softer or stiffer springs they are out there. I have a assprtment of the +10 and +20 springs because like a lot of people I think stock springs are too soft and rely on the progressive part of the spring mostly.

Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by dgechrgr469 View Post
    The progressive springs come in a variety of tensions so if you want to experiment with softer or stiffer springs they are out there. I have a assprtment of the +10 and +20 springs because like a lot of people I think stock springs are too soft and rely on the progressive part of the spring mostly.

You probably don't need as many, or any pre load spacers if you use a stiffer spring do you?

Sent from my LGL722DL using Tapatalk

RC Qualifier
    Correct, if you get a stiffer spring you don't need to use as many preload spacers.

Accepting requests for bashing at GREENWOOD BASHPLEX in Pittsburgh PA!! Check the thread in the track buddy forum and reply there or pm
    Pre load spacers are designed to adjust ride height with standard springs. They don't change stiffness.
    As you use more and more spacers with progressive springs, the spring stiffness will change.

I personally like linear springs over progressives. If I want dampening to be progressive, I can always lay the shock over more to achieve it.

Sent from my moto e5 cruise using Tapatalk
    Ya can't polish fertilizer...

RC Qualifier
    They don't change stiffness but if you add enough they do? Ok.

Accepting requests for bashing at GREENWOOD BASHPLEX in Pittsburgh PA!! Check the thread in the track buddy forum and reply there or pm
    Yes, progressive springs increase spring rate(stiffness) as you compress them. Add enough pre load and spring rate changes. Linear springs do not change spring rate.

That is why they call them "progressive"
    Last edited by rag6; 09-08-2020 at 01:03 PM.

RC Qualifier
    I think the engineers at Cam Dynamics would disagree but i'll leave it at that.

You do that buddy

Sent from my moto e5 cruise using Tapatalk

RC Qualifier
    I think stored energy, compression and tension gets confused a lot with stiffness. No spring gets stiffer as it's compressed.

RC Qualifier
    I try to keep it simple, there are a lot of misconceptions about shocks.

Omg... Facepalm... Bu bye

To the OP... You asked the difference between standard, and progressive rate traxxas springs. Standard springs keep their spring rate as you compress the springs. Progressive springs, spring rate increases as you compress the shock, meaning it gets harder to compress the shock as you compress it. That is the difference in our rc world. I don't like progressive springs and have had a hard time matching oil to them to get consistent handling while racing. Take from that what you will. Good luck choosing your springs!
    Last edited by rag6; 09-08-2020 at 01:41 PM.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by StampedeMachine View Post
    Good evening Team,

As always, Thanks!

Ed
    Based on your use I would recommend the progressive springs. If you want a higher ride height without a bunch of spring spacers use the +10 or +20 springs. They will give you a better handling truck on pavement and absorb the rough terrain at a construction site without bottoming out. Whatever you do only make one change at a time. All too often people will put in heavier oil and drill out the piston orifice, changing two things at once like this negates any possible way of knowing which change gave you the desired result if it changes anything at all unless you are very experienced and document the changes you make. So obviously there are two opinions but again for your purpose this is my recommendation. And so you know I have raced full size cars since the late 70's and in the last 5 years have built & sold close to a hundred different r/c cars.

RC Enthusiast
    Hey guys!

I really appreciate all your feedback.

Now, just need to learn to post pics to show y’all what I’m working with so far; She’s beautiful!

Thanks again!

You can use a hosting site, but tapatalk hosts pics easiest directly from your mobile device.