How to verify the authenticity of Traxxas parts?

I recently bought the 7750X driveshafts for my X-Maxx from an authorized seller of Traxxas parts and something doesn't sit right with the two driveshafts on the left in my picture; especially the second one from the left because it is the only one of the four packaged with the cross pins facing the label and the others are all at the bottom of the package.

I'll admit that part about the cross pins being up or down in a package is more of a formality, but wait until you see the back of the packages for the two on the left that has me questioning something. I understand copyright laws are for design labels and graphical intellectual property and not necessarily part numbers; but take a look at this:

I got a copyright date of 2014 for a packaging label for a truck part (7750X) that didn't make its debut until sometime during 2016??? To add further confusion to this, I am quite certain the 8S upgraded axles didn't even exist until quite some time after the complaints started rolling in about the 6S weak axles. So realistically, what I got here, is a copyright label (2014) with a part number stamped on it that didn't exist until sometime during 2016 possibly as I am uncertain what year the hardened 8S axles were manufactured. I just know for a fact the hardened 8S axles were not around in 2014 or 2015 so how could the part number 7750X even be associated with those two years yet alone be packaged in a 2014 copyright package label?

For authenticity purposes that make sense according to my recollection of the introduction of the hardened 8S axles, this picture shows the copyright date (2020) that makes more sense for the validity of the part number (7750X) stamped on the package in question as this is a picture of the two on the right in the very first top photo:

Also, the two on the left in my top photo are 3 grams lighter than the two 7750X's on the right that have a more genuine copyright label in comparison to its part numbers.

Is it possible that 6S axles are being repackaged as 8S knock-offs and someone is hoping that the consumer doesn't pay attention to detail. All I'm pointing out, is there is no way a part number of 7750X even existed to attach to a copyright label made in 2014.

What I think I will do, is tag the axles that the authenticity is in question about and see if they are the two axles that give out first. I had read about the cross pins falling out of axles with a part number of 7750X because as I had mentioned, the 7750X part number didn't exist in 2014 to be able to put them in a package copyrighted with a date of 2014 which means that it is possibly a 6S axle in the package with the 8S part number.

Am I looking at this all wrong, or did I somehow mysteriously miss that they manufactured 8S axles in 2014 before I even owned my 6S X-Maxx that I got rid of two weeks after buying it back in 2015? I was so disgusted with that truck that I didn't post nothing on or about it in the forum. Heck, I hated it so much, I didn't even take a picture of it!

Once I got my 8S to where it has about another $800 in it, it was worth sharing a comment or two. Still not entirely happy with it just yet. Looking to upgrade the radio system with a Tx that has an onboard screen so I don't have to juggle the phone and Tx at the same time.
    Sent from my autonomous device.

RC Enthusiast
    Maybe email traxxas and see if they can verify the authenticity of the packaging.

That would really suck if knock off RC parts are a thing too.

Quote Originally Posted by c7aea View Post
    Maybe email traxxas and see if they can verify the authenticity of the packaging.

That would really suck if knock off RC parts are a thing too.

Yes, I may very well contact Traxxas regarding this. It is possible to receive knock-off parts if buying from an unauthorized dealer and that would be the customers fault for not verifying so before purchase. The thing that is bothering me, is that you can have an authorized dealer of genuine Traxxas parts but they may repackage the contents and is so advised in their advertising if it's an eBay purchase.

I'm just wondering why someone would go through the trouble of repackaging 6S axles in genuine Traxxas packaging if they are authorized to sell Traxxas parts in the first place?

Either way, something doesn't add up, and having owned a 6S version, I am well aware those axles were different than the 8S hardened axles.

RC Enthusiast
    Money is usually the answer.

RC Racer
    Something funny with that packaging. Contact the seller. And traxxas.

Quote Originally Posted by Clubin View Post
    Something funny with that packaging. Contact the seller. And traxxas.
    Is there anything that caught your eye right away, had I not mentioned the possible conflicting copyright dates?

I mean to ask that you could tell the two on the right were authentic and something about the two on left didn't add up correct?
    Last edited by Flux Capacitor; 09-08-2020 at 07:24 PM. Reason: Fixed.

Have you weighted them outside of the packaging? Does seem odd they weigh different.

I don't think the orientation of part in bag would not matter as I bet they are all hand bagged.

I'm not sure what to think of the copyright date. It may just of been different stock on of the main labels.

I used to work at a print shop. I could see them doing a huge run of main labels with part numbers areas being blank. Then they just print on the part numbers as needed later. As the multiple colors need multiple passes in the print machine. I don't really see them make all new print plates for every part number. Keeping labels in stock ect. Just print out 5 million blank labels then add on text as needed. Then as they package a part run. They just up the printer to print on part numbers. This could explain the difference copyright dates.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

I’d think the copyright is for the “Traxxas” logo, not for the part number.
    Alt-248 on the number pad = °

Quote Originally Posted by Acidic01 View Post
    Have you weighted them outside of the packaging?
    If I open them, I'm stuck with them before I find out more information like you provided in the latter part of your post.

Does seem odd they weigh different.
    Tires are one thing that never weigh the same; however, I've always found these cured metal pieces to be within a few kilograms of each other; not 3 whole grams different.

I don't think the orientation of part in bag would not matter as I bet they are all hand bagged.

I'm not sure what to think of the copyright date. It may just of been different stock on of the main labels.

I used to work at a print shop. I could see them doing a huge run of main labels with part numbers areas being blank. Then they just print on the part numbers as needed later. As the multiple colors need multiple passes in the print machine. I don't really see them make all new print plates for every part number. Keeping labels in stock ect. Just print out 5 million blank labels then add on text as needed. Then as they package a part run. They just up the printer to print on part numbers. This could explain the difference copyright dates.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
    This part of your post has been very informative and now I need to do some research and find the weight of a 6S axle versus a 8S axle and see if it accommodates for the difference of 3 grams. Mine are both in packages and I can do the math to subtract package weight when I get those values of the clean weighted axles.

Quote Originally Posted by ksb51rl View Post
    I'm leaning this way as well and the possibility that 6S axles were packaged as 8S axles is possible and an honest mistake that can happen.

Opps........that is provided someone didn't buy them from a guy selling them out of his car trunk on Broadway!

So far, a quick search has not led me to a definitive weight for either axle. Since X-Maxx axles can't really be replaced with something other than GPM's, not much rebuild action on YouTube has led to anyone weighing the individual parts.

The weights of both the 6S and 8S axle have to be out there somewhere?????

Think...Think...Think....Think

Why didn't I weigh those 6S axles when I had a chance darn it!
    Last edited by Flux Capacitor; 09-08-2020 at 07:57 PM. Reason: Added something.

So after a little more research, I found the clean weights of each axle.

The 8S axle is 1.6oz or 45.359232 grams.

The 6S axle is 0.32oz or 9.0718464 grams.

My axles are not off by that much between each even with the package on and they all weigh closer to the 1.6oz weight than the 0.32oz weight. I guess if there is a three gram difference between all of them versus a 45.35g compared to 9.07g; I would then be able to tell without a doubt if I had 6S axles or not. I now know that I have the heavy duty 8S axles for sure.

I just can't believe it; and now I do because I never realized how light those 6S driveshaft axles were.

Oh, good old Amazon listed the weights of each driveshaft axle.
    Last edited by Flux Capacitor; 09-08-2020 at 08:59 PM. Reason: Found it!

So you are saying that the 8S axles weigh five times as much as the 6S axles?

RC Enthusiast
    Yea. Seems a little off.

So you are saying that the 8S axles weigh five times as much as the 6S axles?

I'm not suggesting that, but according to Amazon, (I'll provide links) they seem to think so.

https://www.amazon.com/Traxxas-7750X...9617041&sr=8-2

https://www.amazon.com/Traxxas-7750-...9617041&sr=8-1

Scroll down to the product information for each.

I’m pretty sure I don’t need to do that to decide whether the information is reasonable.

RC Champion
    8s Xmaxx axle shaft is 5.5mm
    with 5.5mm barrel in the cvd

6s Xmaxx has 5mm barrel
    fabricator

I’m pretty sure I don’t need to do that to decide whether the information is reasonable.
    I know right!

So then why in the good green world would you even think I would throw such information around without first looking for someone else to blame?

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyXMAXX View Post
    8s Xmaxx axle shaft is 5.5mm
    with 5.5mm barrel in the cvd

6s Xmaxx has 5mm barrel
    I kindly appreciate those specifications as well CrazyXMAXX!
    Last edited by Flux Capacitor; 09-08-2020 at 09:49 PM. Reason: Added acknowledgment!

RC Champion
    I think the same.