Has Anyone Thought of Turning a 1/16 into a 1/10 Rally Car?

Just wondering whether a 1/16 E Revo (or Slash or Summit) would be able to be converted into a 1/10 scale rally car. Their specs are rather similar, the width is nearly the same (with the same offset wheels), and if the wheelbase is extended by 10mm (with the 10mm rear arm), it almost is the perfect wheelbase for a 210mm wheelbase body.

Seems like it should be able to fit this body:
    https://www.amainhobbies.com/bittyde...25-hcm/p988641

The body looks almost exactly like an FK8 Civic Type R. It's not the ideal rally car, since it is FWD, but I have seen several pics off the internet of rally car Civics:

If I do decide to do it, I would get these for the tires: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...5IXIJJSF&psc=1, and these for the rims: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...GAE2AHDM&psc=1

What do you guys think about this as a future project? Still saving up for my next RC project since I just got a Slash 4x4, so if I do decide to do it, it might be in a few months (perhaps around December I would get a brushed 1/16 E Revo and go from there). Just trying to come up with a few ideas
    Last edited by RCWilly; 09-08-2020 at 07:15 PM.
    Everyday's a gift, thus now is called the present.

RC Enthusiast
    I rip my merv with my friend who's got a 1/10 buggy and even though the stock width is the same, his longer wheel base and lowered suspension kicks mine in the butt for turning radius at medium to high speeds. I'd say it would be doable to convert the merv to a 1/10 with some finagleing skills. You would have to lower and stiffen the merv suspension by quite a bit. You also lack the ability to move mass in the merv forward for better front traction because everything is packed so tightly together. Those are the observations I have made from my merv and my friends buggy.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

FYI: MERV wheelbase with Summit rear arms is about 216mm and track width with 1/10 touring car tires/wheels is about 213mm front and 218mm rear.

Have fun!

Edit: What is the trackwidth of the M-Chassis?
    Last edited by Squeegie; 09-08-2020 at 07:44 PM.
    Creativity is intelligence having fun. -Einstein

Found some info:
    M-05 chassis width is 165mm.
    1/16 Slash 4x4 trackwidth is 185mm.

I think the 1/16 MERV and Summit arms would make it too wide.

Better off trying to find NOS of the Traxxas 1/16 Rally body:
    https://www.hobbyzone.com/rc-cars-tr...RoCPoQQAvD_BwE

Good luck!

I rip my merv with my friend who's got a 1/10 buggy and even though the stock width is the same, his longer wheel base and lowered suspension kicks mine in the butt for turning radius at medium to high speeds. I'd say it would be doable to convert the merv to a 1/10 with some finagleing skills. You would have to lower and stiffen the merv suspension by quite a bit. You also lack the ability to move mass in the merv forward for better front traction because everything is packed so tightly together. Those are the observations I have made from my merv and my friends buggy.
    Thanks for the input! I don't mind if it hinders the performance a bit, I would just like to see if it works. I think the soft suspension of an off-road truck handles more realistically than a touring car chassis (the shocks are way too short for a rally car), which is why I'm thinking of doing this. I might not have been clear, but I am planning on keeping it a 4wd (was just saying it didn't really make sense for a FWD rally car).
    Anyways, thank you for taking the time to tell me that! Really appreciate it!

FYI: MERV wheelbase with Summit rear arms is about 216mm and track width with 1/10 touring car tires/wheels is about 213mm front and 218mm rear.

Have fun!

Edit: What is the trackwidth of the M-Chassis?
    It says that it has a 164mm width, but it uses wheels with large offsets, the width of most touring cars are 190mm and 200mm (it's not a big deal, since the offset of the wheels mainly determine the width). It should fit, since I have seen someone do it with another body for the M-chassis (its near the end of the picture thread) I might have to use Slash arms though:
    https://forums.traxxas.com/showthrea...Gallery/page16

I have a similar body on my 4 Tec, so I'll probably get the MERV first (in a few months), and see how it compares with the 4 Tec 2.0. If the width is workable, then I will do the conversion, if it is too wide, then I'll just keep it as it is, since I have never had a monster truck. Gonna try backflipping it As for the rally car concept, I guess I'll get a 1/16 Slash later on if it doesn't work, or I will convert my 4 Tec into a rally.

As mentioned earlier, MERV with 1/10 touring wheels/tires is 213mm front and 216mm rear wide.

These wheels/tires:
    https://smile.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07...b_b_asin_image

Better off getting a 1/16 Slash 4x4 unless you want to swap out all the a-arms, push rods and links. If you get the 1/16 Slash, you can always big block it. Canít do that with a MERV VXL.

Good luck and have fun!

RC Enthusiast
    I mentioned the bit about front traction for steering because the center of gravity is pretty fixed unless you are ready to do some super mods.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Yup... hard to find the old 1/16 Rally springs. Need to lower and stiffen up my MERV.

Edit: I guess just stiffen it up. When I take out some preload, I can get it low, but it is too soft and will bottom out easily.
    Last edited by Squeegie; 09-08-2020 at 11:48 PM.

Yeah, I guess it would make sense just getting a rally... I'll just get the MERV anyways and see what I can do with it

I have the 1/16 Slash A-arms to do the conversion, but not the springs, rods and links. Not 100% sure on what I’m going to do yet...

I think it would make better sense to start with a 1/16 Slash, but it would definitely be a fun project!

I'll probably just leave the A-arms as is. I just need stiffer springs that can hold up to it being lowered. Maybe stiff Mini-Summit springs with no preload will work...

When are you getting your MERV?

Edit: If you need 1/16 Rally parts, maybe Chewbacca 3 will be willing to let some go:
    https://forums.traxxas.com/showthrea...to-1-16-E-Revo

Have fun!
    Last edited by Squeegie; 09-09-2020 at 11:52 AM.

I'll be getting it in a few months, just trying to see the options. It looks like the 1/16 Rally and the 1/16 Slash are nearly identical with the exception of the bumpers, tires, and body mounts. If I am doing a rally car conversion, I will get the Slash, but I still like the MERV... Still deciding.

RC poster

Quote Originally Posted by rdurlewanger View Post
    Nice paint job! Really like the streak of black!

If you don't mind, can you share your setup with us? It would be much appreciated, and will save me tons of time researching! What I'm mainly stuck on are the suspension setting and the body mounting. Just a few more detailed pics of the chassis would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Me too! I also thought about building 1/16 rally/drift car to go with my MERV and Summit.

RC poster

Traxxas #7215 Body Mounts/Posts, 65mm OD Wheels/Tires, Mini/M-Chassis Europa Body, and Gun-Metal Paint.

That's all it takes to bring this "street car" to life. If I get any more into specifics it gets deleted.

RC poster

Other ideas:

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Squeegie View Post
    I'll probably just leave the A-arms as is. I just need stiffer springs that can hold up to it being lowered. Maybe stiff Mini-Summit springs with no preload will work...

When are you getting your MERV?

Edit: If you need 1/16 Rally parts, maybe Chewbacca 3 will be willing to let some go:
    https://forums.traxxas.com/showthrea...to-1-16-E-Revo

Have fun!
    Lol. Only just seen this.

Thanks rdurlewanger. I thought you had a wing mount that wasn't part of the body (couldn't tell from the first pic). I like the old Ford truck body. Was the rollbar part of it or custom?

Awesome! Thank you! This is very helpful.
    I also really like the grille idea on the Ford truck, nice job!

For this project, I think I will get the 1/16 Slash 4x4 (brushed), the #7215 body posts, maybe the 1/16 rally front bumper, wheels from this: (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...ustomerReviews), tires from this: (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...5IXIJJSF&psc=1), and the Bittydesign FK8 body. Since I am going to be making it a rally car, I might just keep the stock suspension settings as it is, and perhaps use a flat piece of polycarbonate and put it under the front splitter to protect the body.

I think the rally car would pair perfectly with my 4 Tec:

RC poster
    Thanks guys! Rollbar itself was one that goes with Midnight Pumpkin/F100 body however I made the lights out of parts I had leftover from previous light kit mixing in screw caps to hide all the hardware.