Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    RC poster
    I have a remo hobbyB3 10watt compact charger.
    Input: 100v-240v ac
    Max charge current 3*800ma

How long will it take to fully charge my venom 7.4v/2 cell 5000 30c lipo battery??

RC Racer
    LOL. I found a 3670 for 20 bucks so i just said screw it and clicked buy. Im pretty sure the my other motors are 3mm shaft though so now i need a pinion to go with it. Maybe go for an 18t or something like that? I have a 54t and 56t spur. 18/54 on 3s seems decent? I could always buy a smaller spur aswell since they're cheaper. How small can you go?

I promise I'll let you guys know how this thing goes. Could be a waste of 20 bucks or could be a little gem

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by MysterE View Post
    LOL. I found a 3670 for 20 bucks so i just said screw it and clicked buy. Im pretty sure the my other motors are 3mm shaft though so now i need a pinion to go with it. Maybe go for an 18t or something like that? I have a 54t and 56t spur. 18/54 on 3s seems decent? I could always buy a smaller spur aswell since they're cheaper. How small can you go?

I promise I'll let you guys know how this thing goes. Could be a waste of 20 bucks or could be a little gem
    Looks just like the GoolRC 3660 can 2600kv Iíve been running and loving for a couple years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LOL. I found a 3670 for 20 bucks so i just said screw it and clicked buy. Im pretty sure the my other motors are 3mm shaft though so now i need a pinion to go with it. Maybe go for an 18t or something like that? I have a 54t and 56t spur. 18/54 on 3s seems decent?
    18/54 should be a good place to start. You could probably go down to a 50tooth spur if you wanted, but resist the temptation to gear up at first until you are sure your temperatures are good.

There are a few other things you might consider. I don't think that the Sidewinder 8th comes with any motor wires, only sockets. So you need the wires from the motor to be long enough to reach the ESC. Also, the sockets in the Sidewinder 8th are 6.5mm whereas it looks like the bullet connectors on that motor are 4mm. So you will likely need both motor extension wires as well as 4mm to 6.5mm adapters. You could get something like this and probably take care of both:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/253481929571

RC Racer
    Yeah good thinking. I have a bunch of extra 6.5mm plugs I can solder on. Ill just hit up my LHS when the thing gets here if I need longer wires.

RC Racer
    So.... i feel stupid. I discovered that my current motor is actually a castle 1410 3800kv. NOT a 1406 4600kv like i thought. I have no idea how i got that mixed up.

Now, with that information, and geared at 9/56, do you think it should be ok temps wise on 3s?
    It gets hot. But maybe its not as hot as i think it is? Can you hold your finger on a motor that's 150 degrees? We use celcius up here in canada so im not too sure how that "feels"...

So.... i feel stupid. I discovered that my current motor is actually a castle 1410 3800kv. NOT a 1406 4600kv like i thought. I have no idea how i got that mixed up.

Now, with that information, and geared at 9/56, do you think it should be ok temps wise on 3s?
    It gets hot. But maybe its not as hot as i think it is? Can you hold your finger on a motor that's 150 degrees? We use celcius up here in canada so im not too sure how that "feels"...
    The 1410 3800kv motor is still not a big motor. It's about 3652, or about 2mm longer than the 1406 motors. Very similar to the size of the stock VXL motor. 3800kv is more workable than 4600kv, but it's still going to run hot on 3s in most situations. The super-low gearing won't be doing you much favors if you spend a lot of time at full throttle as you will have very high motor RPMs, which also contributes to heat. A nice motor heatsink would certainly help.

About temps. There is really no replacement for using an actual IR temperature gun. I would say that if you can hold your finger on your motor for 5 entire seconds without burning your finger, then you are still okay in terms of temperature. That's not exactly precise, but does leave some margin for error. With a motor that is truly overheating, you would likely burn your finger within a second or two.

RC Racer
    Aren't the rpms based on the voltage im putting in? I figured lower gearing reduces how much "effort" the motor needs to put out to reach it's top rpms, therefore lowering the strain...

I figured lower gearing reduces how much "effort" the motor needs to put out to reach it's top rpms, therefore lowering the strain...
    Yes, but that's not the only factor. You would not want to drive your full-sized car on the freeway in 1st gear, for example. The lower gearing would put less stress on the motor, but the high RPM would itself generate heat. The top RPM is a maximum, not something you want your motor to actually run at for any significant length of time.

Unless you are doing speed runs, chances are that you are not going to be running at full throttle very often. On mixed or rough terrain where you are not constantly at or near full throttle, you will benefit from the lower gearing because of the increased torque and less strain on the motor at those speeds. If you are running at or near full throttle very often, then you need to gear up to give you an appropriate mix of low-end torque and max speed without excessive RPM.

Even a motor sitting on a table without a pinion on it will still eventually overheat at full throttle, so it's not just about the strain on the motor.

RC Qualifier
    I like the 3800kv motor. I'd recommend holding on to that motor for another project in the future and just run the new motor you ordered. It should be a good combo on 3 to 4s.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve g View Post
    I like the 3800kv motor. I'd recommend holding on to that motor for another project in the future and just run the new motor you ordered. It should be a good combo on 3 to 4s.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
    This is exactly my plan. I hate it when I think im pushing my electronics. This new motor should be perfect in a slash on 3s, that is if it doesn't blow up on me just because it's made of Chineseium. I'll find a use for that 3800kv. Kind of want to get a 4tec 2.0 one day and it'd go nice in one of those i reckon.

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by summitbasher240 View Post
    Castle Creations 2400kv on 3S RULES!!
    How many mph do you think it'll go on 3s? Have you tried it on 2s?

RC Champion
    Never had a way to clock speed, never tried 2S. But I've been told 3S really wakes up this motor. And I've really enjoyed it on 3S.
    Last edited by summitbasher240; 09-20-2020 at 11:30 AM.
    Erevo
    Slash 4x4 x2
    Slash 4x4 Ultimate 2400kv

RC Racer
    Got it in the mail today! It sure looks nice for 21 canadian dollars. Came with a nice heatsink too. Got the 6.5mm plugs soldered on no drama, and the way i have my esc mounted the short cables just dropped right in! Off to the hobby store tomorrow for a 5mm shaft pinion gear. On that note, will i need a new spur gear too? Or can you get 32pitch pinions in 5mm?

Set-up looks great. You can get 32p 5mm pinions. Grab a few so you can gear it to your liking! Have fun and report back!
    Slash 4x4 Ult 2150kv
    Rustler vxl
    Ford GT vxl

RC Champion
    Have been blasting surpass motors
    on a few slash here for a year or more
    Way happy with them
    Totally recommend 3500kv
    fabricator

I would think that they would have plenty of 32p 5mm pinions. They might have "Mod 0.8" pinions instead of 32p. "Mod 0.8" is metric. 32p = 0.79375 which is close enough to 0.8 that they are compatible/interchangeable.

Picture looks good, though I noticed you don't have the heatsink on there yet. Did it fit?

RC Racer
    Yeah the heat sink fit perfect. I put a second one i had on it too. Though i might de-annodize that one coz its pretty old and scratched up.

Got the scratched up blue anodizing off the old one and installed both of them. Looks sweet i think! Time for a new center drive shaft to make it look shiny and new again!
    Last edited by cooleocool; 09-29-2020 at 01:33 AM. Reason: merge

RC Racer
    Well, I played it safe and bought a 14 tooth pinion. So its geared the same as a hoss. Put a full 3s battery through it driving HARD and the temps seemed pretty good! I guess the test will be to see how long it lasts...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12