RC poster

Question Revo 3.3 new out of box just broke in

Just got my new Revo out of the box just broke in and ran it a few times after break in. Then I was running it and it just shut off thought it may have just had flamed out. Well ever since then it won't start up have changed the glow plug, checked fuel lines for holes, and checked wiring connections. At this point I have no idea it will turn over just will NOT start up and it is also making a different sound when it turns over a little bit louder of a knocking noise than the normal when trying to start. PLEASE HELP IF POSSIBLE I have had this revo for 4 days and just want to go out and rip

RC poster
    Man that sucks..Have you checked for compression? Pull plug and put ur finger over top of hole and crank it see if it blows finger off. If not sounds like a broken rod get ahold of Traxxas and warranty it out

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Pull the header off the back of the engine and then turn the engine over by hand. Look through the port to see if the piston moves up and down.
    The Super Derecho

RC Racer
    Sounds sort of like my Revo when the starter one way bearing isn't working properly. It doesn't explain the engine dieing but it could have flamed out. One thing you can do if it is that bearing is put your finger on the flywheel to provide a slight bit of resistance and for some reason that will help the engine crank over.

RC poster
    Thanks i will look into it later when I get up for good

Break in is the most likely time for an engine to fail, because the parts fit the tightest, rub the hardest, and any manufacturing issues are likely to cause issues here.

Loud engine sounds when trying to start are a bad sign. Stop trying to start it, and take it apart. something may be loose inside and by trying to start it, you could be destroying more parts.

When I get any new nitro engine, I take the head off at least, and inspect inside the engine for debris, and add a little bit of oil if its dry in there. Those two things are crucial for a proper first start.

Second, make sure your break in is slow and careful. If you drove it too hard, ran it too hot or cold, or left the engine in TDC after a run, it could cause engine failure. It is not likely, but entirely possible.

I had a 3.3 on my new Revo last spring have bearing failure after a quart of fuel. I discussed the warranty on here, and my finding was that Traxxas does not warranty nitro engines further than guaranteeing it to start the first and only first time.

I have posted the email on here where they told me this before. They used to warranty engines, and I still hear some lucky people on here recently say they got warranty service on their engines - but I would prefer not to deal with this in the first place, like everyone else.

So take your time on the break in, inspect engines before running them the first time, closely monitor the temps of the engine, and use a sleeve to cover the head to keep it warm if needed, preheat the engine during break in, use a good quality fuel and don't leave fuel in the tank or engine, store the engine always not in TDC, ensure it's running quite rich for the first few tanks, ECT.

If you do all of that (and probably a few more things I do that I can't remember) and the engine fails, it's probably not your fault, and you have a good chance for warranty work.

Open it up, report what you find so we can help you more!

-Mike

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by nebulous.cow View Post
    Break in is the most likely time for an engine to fail, because the parts fit the tightest, rub the hardest, and any manufacturing issues are likely to cause issues here.

Loud engine sounds when trying to start are a bad sign. Stop trying to start it, and take it apart. something may be loose inside and by trying to start it, you could be destroying more parts.

When I get any new nitro engine, I take the head off at least, and inspect inside the engine for debris, and add a little bit of oil if its dry in there. Those two things are crucial for a proper first start.

Second, make sure your break in is slow and careful. If you drove it too hard, ran it too hot or cold, or left the engine in TDC after a run, it could cause engine failure. It is not likely, but entirely possible.

I had a 3.3 on my new Revo last spring have bearing failure after a quart of fuel. I discussed the warranty on here, and my finding was that Traxxas does not warranty nitro engines further than guaranteeing it to start the first and only first time.

I have posted the email on here where they told me this before. They used to warranty engines, and I still hear some lucky people on here recently say they got warranty service on their engines - but I would prefer not to deal with this in the first place, like everyone else.

So take your time on the break in, inspect engines before running them the first time, closely monitor the temps of the engine, and use a sleeve to cover the head to keep it warm if needed, preheat the engine during break in, use a good quality fuel and don't leave fuel in the tank or engine, store the engine always not in TDC, ensure it's running quite rich for the first few tanks, ECT.

If you do all of that (and probably a few more things I do that I can't remember) and the engine fails, it's probably not your fault, and you have a good chance for warranty work.

Open it up, report what you find so we can help you more!

-Mike
    Thanks for the help i am now assuming I have engine issues. I have tried turning flywheel manually to get set on bottom but the only way to turn flywheel is by flat headed screwdriver or ez start. I have heard several say it should turn then get kind of hard to turn and you want it right in the middle of those but it is very difficult to turn even with the screwdriver. Going to call Traxxas tomorrow if nothing else guess new motor time sucks I have had this for less than a week...

Bummer to hear dude, it happens. I would tell them it had the engine problem immediately, so that they are more likely to help you.

I quit using traxxas motors all together, and it hurt my wallet real bad, but the OS 21TM was the best thing I could have done to my Revo, period. Drastically outweighs any durability or other mods, because you can't drive at all if the motor doesn't work.

What I did was sell my broken 3.3 engine on here with the note that it needed a new piece, and someone happily bought it. Then put that cash toward the OS engine.

It really is that much better. But, many people have good luck with the 3.3, so good luck to you either way.

-Mike

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by nebulous.cow View Post
    Bummer to hear dude, it happens. I would tell them it had the engine problem immediately, so that they are more likely to help you.

I quit using traxxas motors all together, and it hurt my wallet real bad, but the OS 21TM was the best thing I could have done to my Revo, period. Drastically outweighs any durability or other mods, because you can't drive at all if the motor doesn't work.

What I did was sell my broken 3.3 engine on here with the note that it needed a new piece, and someone happily bought it. Then put that cash toward the OS engine.

It really is that much better. But, many people have good luck with the 3.3, so good luck to you either way.

-Mike
    Thanks for the advice been looking into the OS21 myself just actually don't know what the **** the problem is now since I am waiting for the other half to my charger. I am not trying to bash a company I absolutely love traxxas but what kind of company gives you a charger for your rc that you can't even use. I have tried charging in my truck with little success it seems to never charge correctly. Other than the ez start I have no idea what to so

Quote Originally Posted by Bugsy33 View Post
    Thanks for the advice been looking into the OS21 myself just actually don't know what the **** the problem is now since I am waiting for the other half to my charger. I am not trying to bash a company I absolutely love traxxas but what kind of company gives you a charger for your rc that you can't even use. I have tried charging in my truck with little success it seems to never charge correctly. Other than the ez start I have no idea what to so
    Honestly I just sell or throw those away. Chargers that come with RTRs or kits are usually garbage in one way or another.
    That said, I have extremely high standards for my chargers because I build them for a living, lol.
    Assuming this Revo isn't your first RC, which it sounds like it isn't, do yourself a solid and get a standard multi-chemistry charger, and don't go cheap either. Then you'll never have that issue ever again!

But you shouldn't need the receiver battery charged to merely test the engine...
    Good luck.

-Mike