Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RC poster

New xmaxx with poor spray job out the box?

Hi all, new here and really enjoying my new xmaxx, just one thing I'm not happy with, noticed the black spray on the rear deck is out if aline, looking from the back the black paint is halfway up the right side and nothing on the left side and its not straight, now I know this doesn't really matter but for what these cost I feel it should be better finished, has anyone else got the same issue on theirs? I have contacted traxxas support here but their answer was "they are all like that" as if to say that makes it ok? I work for a large well known white goods manufacturer as a field service engineer, if I told my customers that I'd get thrown out of the house!
    Last edited by Ripmax10; 09-09-2020 at 12:29 PM.

RC Champion
    Picture tells the story- if ya would
    fabricator

RC poster
    I've tried posting pictures here but can't work out how to? Can't just use a picture from my tablet, it asks fir a url?

Tapatalk app works best if on mobile or tablet.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

RC poster
    So just downloaded tapatalk then what do I need to do? Sorry to be be dumb!

Quote Originally Posted by Ripmax10 View Post
    So just downloaded tapatalk then what do I need to do? Sorry to be be dumb!
    Then gotta add the Traxxas fourm to your Tapatalk account. Can also subscribe to notification for what sub groups you want. Like xmaxx. Then find your post. Make a reply then at bottom will be a place to add pictures.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

RC poster
    This is what I was talking about.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

RC poster
    My god its complicated to upload a picture here! Thanks Acidic01 for your help.

RC poster
    Mis spelled spray on the title now! Can't seem to change it, ohh well, not doing very well so far!

Quality control issue? Certainly. However, you have to take into account that there is the great possibility that this is not done here in the U.S., let alone Traxxas's facility in Texas but - as stated on the box - it is assembled in Taiwan. I don't know what happens behind the walls of Traxxas and their discussions with vendors overseas but this could have been an issue where hundreds or thousands were sent out like that. It certainly does look bad for a $1000 truck but the reality of it is a business may not do much about it since the body will get trashed through "normal" use.
    The Super Derecho

Mis spelled spray on the title now! Can't seem to change it, ohh well, not doing very well so far!
    My dog was spayed when we rescued her from the pound!

If you need, just mask and touch-up the paint job. Not that tough to do.
    Last edited by Squeegie; 09-09-2020 at 01:34 PM.
    Creativity is intelligence having fun. -Einstein

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Double G View Post
    Quality control issue? Certainly. However, you have to take into account that there is the great possibility that this is not done here in the U.S., let alone Traxxas's facility in Texas but - as stated on the box - it is assembled in Taiwan. I don't know what happens behind the walls of Traxxas and their discussions with vendors overseas but this could have been an issue where hundreds or thousands were sent out like that. It certainly does look bad for a $1000 truck but the reality of it is a business may not do much about it since the body will get trashed through "normal" use.
    Sure it will get trashed after a while but thats down to me, it should not be used as an excuse or reason for poor quality control and for me to accept this on a £1000 rc.

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Squeegie View Post
    My dog was spayed when we rescued her from the pound!

Hope they did a better job on your dog!! Rest of the paint work is fine but none of that is supposed to be symmetrical anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Double G View Post
    ...It certainly does look bad for a $1000 truck but the reality of it is a business may not do much about it since the body will get trashed through "normal" use.
    I don't see how that is a common business practice. That's says a company doesn't care at all about quality, and those types are not in business very long (opposite from what I see in Traxxas). What if the truck was purchased for display? What if the body was half painted and half clear?

Ripmax10 since your outside of the US you are probably going to need to work with who you purchased from. Pictures are better to explain something like this rather than explaining with words.

Quote Originally Posted by grizzly03 View Post
    I don't see how that is a common business practice. That's says a company doesn't care at all about quality, and those types are not in business very long (opposite from what I see in Traxxas). What if the truck was purchased for display? What if the body was half painted and half clear?
    I often wonder what Mike Jenkins would have to say about things like this on a almost one grand RC?

The paint line is off by almost a good 1/4 inch by the time it meets the cab in his picture. If the bodies were only $20 to replace, that still wouldn’t be an excuse to casually brush off a cosmetic flaw that is the backbone of the presentation of a product. I’d hate to think how many went out the door like that and Mike would have every right to question someones carelessness regarding the setup of the machines that align the bodies for the painting phase.
    Last edited by Flux Capacitor; 09-09-2020 at 02:59 PM. Reason: Grammar.
    Sent from my autonomous device.

Quote Originally Posted by Squeegie View Post
    It would be kind of hard to do as it's painted from the inside. You would need to paint on the outside of the body to change it now.

Quote Originally Posted by Flux Capacitor View Post
    I often wonder what Mike Jenkins would have to say about things like this on a almost one grand RC?

The paint line is off by almost a good 1/4 inch by the time it meets the cab in his picture. If the bodies were only $20 to replace, that still wouldn’t be an excuse to casually brush off a cosmetic flaw that is the backbone of the presentation of a product. I’d hate to think how many went out the door like that and Mike would have every right to question someones lack of carelessness regarding the setup of the machines that align the bodies for the painting phase.
    Imagine what would be said about Traxxas if that was the X-Maxx body on display (advertising) at a show like SEMA.

RC Racer
    Omg. That’s awful! I wasn’t expecting much when I opened this tread. But that deserves a reply. I’d be [edit]
    Last edited by Double G; 09-09-2020 at 03:14 PM. Reason: language

RC Champion
    This is what I was talking about.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk
    I think is a quality control issue, maybe you can talk with your LHS for the possible changing of this body shell.

You are right. Though I don't speak on behalf of Traxxas nor do I know what the contracts or agreements are between them and their chain of suppliers and assemblers. I don't know what decision(s) they made if/when they were notified of this. But in my case I would shrug it off, throw batteries in it and bash. If it was a more critical part then yes I would make a stink of it.
    The Super Derecho

RC Qualifier
    Geez, that looks sooooo bad! NOT! Seriously, who cares? Bash it. Go buy a new one after you busted this one and paint it yourself.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by dronenewbie View Post
    Geez, that looks sooooo bad! NOT! Seriously, who cares? Bash it. Go buy a new one after you busted this one and paint it yourself.....

Enjoy your monster, it's an excellent truck.

Quote Originally Posted by Juanmacine View Post
    Enjoy your monster, it's an excellent truck.
    Hey Juanmacine; I think you mean that for Ripmax10 don't you?

You quoted dronenewbie; but he isn't the one that started the thread mate.

I understand if it was purchased for the body, you want it to be correct.

If it's a hassle don't let it get you down. As a body that's going to be used, you forget quickly when that oh-crap moment happens. Also if this is the first time with the X-Maxx you'll forget about it the first time you take it out. It's an impressive big truck out of the box. It takes a tumble and comes back for more.

RC poster
    Dronenewbie.....Yeah I really don't care about the look, what I do care about is the fact that traxxas have taken £1000 off me are are now saying "welĺ its ok, there all like that your only gonna break it anyway" maybe but if you bought a new sofa and it had a rip in it and you was told ahhh its ok its gonna get ripped at some point anyway, would you accept that?

Ripmax10 A similar experience with Traxxas customer service was just talked about. (C.S. said one thing, shop said another). They went to the hobby shop were they purchased their trucks and were very happy with that experience. I'm not sure if it's new personal or what is happening with customer service, but they have became impersonal since COVID-19. I myself just experienced this "new attitude." Talk to your place of purchase and go from there.

It would be kind of hard to do as it's painted from the inside. You would need to paint on the outside of the body to change it now.
    I know.

I would mask it off and paint it black and follow with a flat clear, or spray with black Plastidip or an actual bed liner. It may look more like a real tonneau cover that way.

Also adds a touch of personalty in it. You know what I like to say... “make it yours!”

RC Qualifier
    Dronenewbie.....Yeah I really don't care about the look, what I do care about is the fact that traxxas have taken £1000 off me are are now saying "welĺ its ok, there all like that your only gonna break it anyway" maybe but if you bought a new sofa and it had a rip in it and you was told ahhh its ok its gonna get ripped at some point anyway, would you accept that?
    Completely different. It’s like buying another toy, like an expensive Tonka truck, and then complain about a decal being crooked.
    If you’re that ocd, maybe buying a kit and build something from scratch, including the paint is what you should do then. I see Traxxas as expensive toys. Period. If you want something to be perfect, buy a “real” hobbygrade kit and build it yourself.

RC Racer
    They wouldn’t be using that body in their YouTube ads.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Clubin View Post
    They wouldn’t be using that body in their YouTube ads.
    ....and hamburgers in real live never look the way they actually do in ads either.....

Quote Originally Posted by dronenewbie View Post
    Completely different. It’s like buying another toy, like an expensive Tonka truck, and then complain about a decal being crooked.
    If you’re that ocd, maybe buying a kit and build something from scratch, including the paint is what you should do then. I see Traxxas as expensive toys. Period. If you want something to be perfect, buy a “real” hobbygrade kit and build it yourself.
    I don't see the difference. If you pay for something you expect to get that. If not either make it right or take the return. A simple purchase is a contract, whether a toy or 1:1 vehicle. You can't pick and choose where it applies.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Flux Capacitor View Post
    Hey Juanmacine; I think you mean that for Ripmax10 don't you?

You quoted dronenewbie; but he isn't the one that started the thread mate.
    You're right, I made a mistake in the quote.

Imagine what would be said about Traxxas if that was the X-Maxx body on display (advertising) at a show like SEMA.
    No doubt; and this time I won't comment on something that was typed earlier so my reply to you quoting me in post #17 hopefully remains on the board this time.
    Last edited by Flux Capacitor; 09-10-2020 at 01:18 AM. Reason: A more respectful reply.

That would bug me. I know the body will get beat-up when I bash it, but I'm not getting what I paid for. I'd go to my (LHS) if I got it from them, or I'd contact Traxxas if I got my Xmaxx online. If no luck, then I would correct it myself.

To do that, I'd mask off around the area I want to remove the paint from. Then I'd use Acetone and a rag (wrapped around my index and middle fingers) to remove the paint. From there, I'd paint the whole under-body black. It wouldn't take long to do, it wouldn't cost much, and I'd feel a whole lot better not having an Xmaxx that looked like a bunch of bums didn't give a crap. That's just me, though, I'm kind of picky like that with my stuff.
    Life's to short to be a sour puss.

RC Enthusiast
    I don’t really see what you’re talking about from the picture but it will be destroyed soon enough to not even matter.

Edit: Ok now I see the entire black square of the bed. It’s still going to be destroyed within a few hard runs.
    Last edited by c7aea; 09-10-2020 at 07:19 AM.

RC poster
    Thanks everyone for your comments, I don't really want to go back to the store I bought from as they sell only a small amount of rc cars, mostly trains and planes, they kindly opened an account with traxxas just for my purchase, when he saw the size of it, well, his face was a picture! he was lost for words and said he might get one for the shop window! Over here there's very few actual model shops and I don't want to give them grief and put them off, hoping they might get into cars a bit more if they start selling, I'm not fussed about it more the principle and attitude from traxxas. Thanks again all.

RC Champion
    Thanks everyone for your comments, I don't really want to go back to the store I bought from as they sell only a small amount of rc cars, mostly trains and planes, they kindly opened an account with traxxas just for my purchase, when he saw the size of it, well, his face was a picture! he was lost for words and said he might get one for the shop window! Over here there's very few actual model shops and I don't want to give them grief and put them off, hoping they might get into cars a bit more if they start selling, I'm not fussed about it more the principle and attitude from traxxas. Thanks again all.
    You're welcome, mate, enjoy this monster.

I think it's commendable that you are thinking about your LHS. Most do not these days. Most just complain, purchase on-line, and wonder why the business closed it's doors.

Have fun with your beast!
    Last edited by Squeegie; 09-10-2020 at 02:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by c7aea View Post
    I don’t really see what you’re talking about from the picture but it will be destroyed soon enough to not even matter.

Edit: Ok now I see the entire black square of the bed. It’s still going to be destroyed within a few hard runs.
    If you install aluminum body restrictors, your body will last a long time. I bash and jump the heck out of mine, and still have/use the same original body from when the Xmaxx first came out. The trick is keeping the body from bending down at the front and back, and that's what the body restrictors do. The body restrictors allow a little give, but not enough for the body to crack at the body screws.

Front restrictor "L" bracket:

Rear restrictor "U" bracket:

So Mr. Rip, if you fix your paint job (post 34), install these body restrictors (while your body is new), your Xmaxx will look good and will last a long time; even if you're a heavy basher like most of us are.
    Last edited by ReglarGuy; 09-11-2020 at 04:32 AM.
    Life's to short to be a sour puss.

RC Enthusiast
    Yea maybe that rear U piece would have help me. My body is already pretty destroyed in the bed where the rear cage attaches. It started cracking my first time out.

The body being lifted from a rear corner also seems to be an issue for damage too though.

I did spray the inside of the body with bed liner before my first use and maybe it helped a little, but not much.

Now I also have a good crack going down the driver’s side window/door.

It doesn’t take much, the body seems a bit weak for the size and weight of the truck.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast