RC Racer

Question Cheap Metal geared/ metal cased servo and a good cheap Servo Tester?

Hi Guys,

Do you guys know any cheap metal geared/metal cased servos around $25-$40? Any brand is fine. Also any good servo testers, and if so, what battery is used to power it?

Will this be a good servo?
    https://www.amazon.com/ANNIMOS-Corel...d-games&sr=1-9

Well im pretty sure that servo would work. But its not the one you want.. 7.4v is really high and you'd want to use a BEC for it to work the way those specs claim it would. And it actually seems very very slow. .11 transit speed with no load at 7.4v is very slow.

I use the vxl3s system and that has an internal BEC that gives me 6v I believe...

I bought the Ecopower wp110t servo off Amainhobbies. Its metal geared, waterproof, and operates at 6v. Its only 40$ as well.

Sent from my LGL722DL using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Calebs0615; 09-10-2020 at 11:20 PM.

RC Enthusiast
    Can't answer your question but after 68 short years on this planet I've found the words good and cheap don't usually go together.

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyHog View Post
    Can't answer your question but after 68 short years on this planet I've found the words good and cheap don't usually go together.
    You're not wrong. 9 times out of 10 you're getting what you pay for.

But you can still get decent things for low prices. That was the simple question here.

RC Qualifier
    Kevin Talbot is always looking for the cheapest servos with good quality. Maybe you should look at some of his video’s about servos

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Calebs0615 View Post
    Well im pretty sure that servo would work. But its not the one you want.. 7.4v is really high and you'd want to use a BEC for it to work the way those specs claim it would. And it actually seems very very slow. .11 transit speed with no load at 7.4v is very slow.

I use the vxl3s system and that has an internal BEC that gives me 6v I believe...

I bought the Ecopower wp110t servo off Amainhobbies. Its metal geared, waterproof, and operates at 6v. Its only 40$ as well.

Caleb0615 - I am looking at getting a Castle Mamba Monster 2 down the road, and will I need a BEC for that esc? Also, should i get a metal servo horn? I want to run 2.8 tires

I Also need a servo tester. Any suggestions? I don't have a small battery to power the servo tester so power source suggestions would be helpful

Any difference between cored and coreless servos?
    Last edited by Invincibl; 09-11-2020 at 07:32 AM.

Im not sure about a servo tester. Im sorry.

But i just looked that esc up and it says this exactly:

BEC Specifications:*User selectable output between 5 and 7 volts; default 5.5 volts

As for cored or coreless, I just found this explanation.

"In a conventional servo, the motor has a steel core armature wrapped in wire that spins inside the magnets. In a coreless design, the armature uses a thin wire mesh that forms a cup that spins around the outside of the magnet eliminating the heavy steel core. A coreless motor does not have magnets as standard servo motors do, so they have a smoother, more constant, and stronger action. Regular servo motors have either 3 or 5 magnets (poles) which when the armature is between these, the servo motor is at its weakest."

Quote Originally Posted by Invincibl View Post
    Hi Guys,

Do you guys know any cheap metal geared/metal cased servos around $25-$40? Any brand is fine. Also any good servo testers, and if so, what battery is used to power it?

Will this be a good servo?
    https://www.amazon.com/ANNIMOS-Corel...d-games&sr=1-9
    I know some guys have had good luck with that servo, I did not. Mine had issues with holding power. It was very strong/quick, but it would allow about 1/8th of a turn before it would hold fast. Not sure why. I quit using it as it allowed my truck to wander too much. 1/8th of a turn at the servo is quite a bit at the wheel.

I started using the Hobbystar HCS-4521wp and have had good luck with it so far. I have one in both my ERBEv2 and Outcast running at 7.2V via a max6 esc. It performs pretty well on 6V, but is faster/stronger on 7.2V+. Have had them for about 5 months, but only have 8-10 bash sessions on each. So far, they are holding up well.

https://www.amazon.com/HobbyStar-HCS.../dp/B081TM8JSW
    https://www.youtube.com/c/olds97lss

RC Racer
    As for cored or coreless, I just found this explanation.

"In a conventional servo, the motor has a steel core armature wrapped in wire that spins inside the magnets. In a coreless design, the armature uses a thin wire mesh that forms a cup that spins around the outside of the magnet eliminating the heavy steel core. A coreless motor does not have magnets as standard servo motors do, so they have a smoother, more constant, and stronger action. Regular servo motors have either 3 or 5 magnets (poles) which when the armature is between these, the servo motor is at its weakest."

Is there a benefit of a cored vs coreless servo?

Coreless is supposed to be faster as it requires less time for the motor to spool up.

I've had a Power HD 23kg for a bit now. Throws my 2.8 Trenchers around just fine. About $40.
    Slash 4x4 Ult 2150kv
    Rustler vxl
    Ford GT vxl

Forgot, if your stuck at 6V and it doesn't need to be super fast, the jx-DC5821LV is a pretty good one that's cheap. I run one of those in my stampede 4x4. Not the fastest, but it's pretty good anyway, plenty of torque.

RC Racer
    Does anyone know a servo tester w/ power supply?

Quote Originally Posted by Invincibl View Post
    Does anyone know a servo tester w/ power supply?
    Ive never seen someone talk about a servo tester so i looked them up myself. Im going to assume it tests servos. But here you go. All I did was i went on Amazon. Searched for "servo tester" and this is what i got.

RC Racer
    Ive never seen someone talk about a servo tester so i looked them up myself. Im going to assume it tests servos. But here you go. All I did was i went on Amazon. Searched for "servo tester" and this is what i got.

I would go with the first one on there
    It looks like has a display and all the servo stuff you would need to test a servo

Sent from my LM-Q610(FGN) using Tapatalk
    "Speed and power solve many things"

RC Racer
    Any JX servo will be good its all metal geared and metal case.
    I watch Kevin Talbots video and he uses this servo is lots of his cars and so do I and for the price you cant wrong with it.

A Savox servo will have the same specs but would be about 80-100 dollars and then you need a power cap cause they are very power hungry

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCH2...Zbe26UMlGG_LVA

https://www.banggood.com/JX-Ecoboost...r_warehouse=CN

People swear by savox servos. But you get what you pay for most of the time. A savox servo will probably last twice as long as my Ecopower one lol.

Am i the only one that thinks Kevin talbot is a little..... Different?

People swear by savox servos. But you get what you pay for most of the time. A savox servo will probably last twice as long as my Ecopower one lol.

Am i the only one that thinks Kevin talbot is a little..... Different?

The savox 1210sg I had in my outcast lasted a year, then blew one of the fets on the board. I replaced the fet and it lasted a couple months, then died again. I had my EPA's set so it stopped electronically before it was mechanically stopped by the steering components. I also ran it on 6V the year before it died.

I replaced it with the Hobbystar HCS-4521wp for less than half the cost, so if it lasts 6 months, I'm still money ahead for a servo that performs just as well.

Quote Originally Posted by olds97_lss View Post
    The savox 1210sg I had in my outcast lasted a year, then blew one of the fets on the board. I replaced the fet and it lasted a couple months, then died again. I had my EPA's set so it stopped electronically before it was mechanically stopped by the steering components. I also ran it on 6V the year before it died.

I replaced it with the Hobbystar HCS-4521wp for less than half the cost, so if it lasts 6 months, I'm still money ahead for a servo that performs just as well.
    Did setting end points help make a difference? Did it still work when you replaced it?

I set the steering end points when I installed it the first time. I always do. I was only mentioning it so someone didn't think I didn't.

I don't know why it died really, it isn't like I rock crawl with the truck and put a ton of load on it constantly. I was running at a skate park when it burned a fet out the first time. Drive straight, hit a jump, turn off power, drive straight, hit a jump, etc. Most of my "on power" driving is when the truck is driving straight. I don't race, so I'm not trying to hit the apex of a turn while on throttle constantly or anything. Other than landing decent air jumps, my servo's shouldn't see much abuse.

Quote Originally Posted by olds97_lss View Post
    I set the steering end points when I installed it the first time. I always do. I was only mentioning it so someone didn't think I didn't.

I don't know why it died really, it isn't like I rock crawl with the truck and put a ton of load on it constantly. I was running at a skate park when it burned a fet out the first time. Drive straight, hit a jump, turn off power, drive straight, hit a jump, etc. Most of my "on power" driving is when the truck is driving straight. I don't race, so I'm not trying to hit the apex of a turn while on throttle constantly or anything. Other than landing decent air jumps, my servo's shouldn't see much abuse.
    Oh okay. That makes sense.

And as for it dying, who knows really. Could've been anything. I had the stock 2065 (I think) on my slash 2wd strip gears about a week after putting belted badlands on my truck. I bought the metal gear set and replaced the stripped ones and got about two to three months at most out of that and then the motor just burnt up i guess.

One day it was acting super funky. Like it would turn super super slow and not return to center at all. About five tries of me getting it to turn it just stopped and never worked again haha. I still have the bad servo with the metal gears cause you never know when i might get another traxxas rc with the plastic gear set.