RC poster

Post Shock maximum length

What is the maximum shock length that can be put on the front&rear of the TRAXXAS stampede 2wd.

RC Qualifier
    Not much longer than stock...
    What result are you looking for?

RC poster
    I do a lot of jumping and speed runs

RC Qualifier
    You can determine this by disconnecting your shocks from the lower arms and let the suspension "hang" and measure. I put Yeti shocks on a 2wd Slash but used a extension plate on the rear shock tower to use all the available shock travel.

Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by ostep712 View Post
    I do a lot of jumping and speed runs
    Two different setups. For speed runs you want low ground clearance, therefore shorter stiffer shocks.
    Longer shocks with more damping, eg. heavier oil, will help absorb big jumps.
    You probably won’t get away with much more than 10 mm more than stock.
    Remember, at some point you will put an extreme angle on your U joints and blow shafts like crazy...

You can do a lot by just changing lower shock positions. Going to alum. shock towers will give you more mounting holes and allow you to lay down the shocks for lower ground clearance without shortening them.
    When you want more ground clearance, stand the shocks back up again for more A arm angle and ground clearance.

You can shorten your stock shocks by putting silicone fuel tube on the shock shaft inside the shock.
    To lengthen your rears by a bit, an 1/8” or so, you can take out the internal limiter.
    For big jumps add some fuel tube on the shock shaft outside the shock for a bumpstop.
    This will protect the shafts from bending as much if you bottom out on a big jump.
    Either way, go to at least 40-45 wt oil, 60 wt for jumping I’d say.
    Last edited by fortunespoonz; 09-12-2020 at 07:59 PM.

The problem with using longer shocks is axle binding. You run the risk of popping shafts easier.